Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Exocet Elite 380 vs. Starboard Pantom 377L

Created by SRU > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2017
SRU
4 posts
23 Mar 2017 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hey all. I have been blessed to go for a new raceboard. Here in the USA the main boards we have been sailing are the Equipe II. I would like to go to either the Exocet Elite 380 or Starboard Phantom 377L. None around for me to test sail so i need your input to make the decision on which one to get. I see a lot of 377L out on the results lists but i have a feeling that Starboard may have just out marketed Exocet. I see the worlds in 21014 that 5 of top 10 sailors where on Exocet. Please pipe in especially if you have sailed both but all imput would be great. Cheers.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
24 Mar 2017 5:39AM
Thumbs Up

have an Equipe 2 XR and love it ...
guess RSD2 is out of the question ??
in any case , seems people have done comparisons in the past ...

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Exocet-Rs-380-Raceboard-tests-300-l-RB-questions?page=1

SRU
4 posts
24 Mar 2017 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Great i hadnt seen that comparison. The D2 is an option. More interested in the thoughts on the Elite and Phantom

regal1
NSW, 418 posts
24 Mar 2017 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

As azuli & AUS381 noted, the consensus is the exocet is slightly faster upwind but the phantom gets onto the plane marginally quicker downwind. On a typical raceboard course (upwind, downwind, repeat), downwind is really important.

Personally, I wouldn't choose the 377L over the 377 unless you are well over 90kg. In my experience, the "Ls" have more warranty issues than the 377s.

BSN101
WA, 2249 posts
24 Mar 2017 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Check out the design a race board thread. Will be interesting to see if a new design appears.
And the buy & sell.

SRU
4 posts
25 Mar 2017 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

So how much better are the two boards compared to the Mistral Equipe II. And yes we sail light air mostly and im 90kg so 377L would be better that 377. What do you think about the Exocet having a larger volume and beam but yes the narrow tail compaired to thinner with less volume and wider beam in the tail wetted surface. I like the Exocet a lot as it is more of the traditional raceboard shape im used to and i am not fully convinced on the SB wings. It it more that SB has just out sold Exocet? Or is it really that much better. I see the worlds SB has dominated but a few years Exocet was right in there.

SRU
4 posts
25 Mar 2017 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

The word i got or the RSD2 is a great ride but is over weight and the Elite 380 out sails it in the race setting.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Exocet Elite 380 vs. Starboard Pantom 377L" started by SRU