Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Fin advice: Nude 105L Quad to be set up as a twin

Created by MaxS > 9 months ago, 24 Feb 2014
MaxS
VIC, 29 posts
24 Feb 2014 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

I have just taken posession of a Nude quad 105L. A fantasic board. I intend to use it as my light wind board (I am 65kgs) and will use it in twin mode to further reduce drag and early planing.(using the big board with a small sail scenario). I was planning to get 17cm to 18 cm fairly stiff fins. Has anyone advice on size, style, brands etc. Thanks.

P.C_simpson
NSW, 1489 posts
25 Feb 2014 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I have sailed these size NUDE boards a bit, the best size fins that are available for that board would be the Flying Objects 165's preferably in the G10. These have a decent surface area and the boards were tested and designed running these fins.

Starboard Nuevo 2014 have similar fins that have more flex and a faster foil these are the better choice but not sure if hey are available in Australia yet, I have also used 175's but they are hard to find but for your weight the FO 165's would work sweet.

Also with that board I would run the straps right back and the mast base toward the rear of the box, this is how we have been running them.

Hope this helps, have fun on your new ride.

Cheers..

Hooksey
WA, 556 posts
25 Feb 2014 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 100l nude twinser which came with the FO fins (not the G10) and I think they were 16.0cm. These fins were too soft for me and I now use a set of Maui Ultra Fins X-twin model (18.5cm G10) which are super stiff and suit my type of sailing. I mainly use this board+fin combo for side - side-off conditions with a 6.3m or 5.8m sail. The fins make the board plane very early and I can fly upwind when planing. When slogging the fins give heaps of stability and I can still go very close to the wind.

I have also used a set of Vector twin fins but I could not get them long enough. I think that their longest ones are 17cm.

I think you can order the MUF fins from their webpage or from Strath Windsurfing in SA. You can order the Vector fins directly from their Australian webpage.

Let us know which fins you end us with and how they work with your Nude.

MaxS
VIC, 29 posts
28 Feb 2014 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for input. I have obtained a set of 16.5 FO fins and I will order a set of 18.5cm mauiultra fins X-twin model and compare. I will update as I try each set of fins
Thanks.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Fin advice: Nude 105L Quad to be set up as a twin" started by MaxS