Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Fsw board confusion... which to buy?

Created by windsurfbabe > 9 months ago, 14 Apr 2017
windsurfbabe
6 posts
14 Apr 2017 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

I am using a fanatic fsw 96L for most of the bump and jump conditions but the board is too big for high winds

I'm looking for a 80ish fsw board but there are too many brands out there. Starboard, fanatic, rrd, Patrick, novenove, jp... And more. The problem is, from where I based I couldn't try out the boards before buying any of them...
Is there any wisdom to share on how to pick a board assuming they are of similar price?

BSN101
WA, 2256 posts
14 Apr 2017 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

If youre happy with your existing board keep it the same.

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
14 Apr 2017 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

I sailed Fanatic freewaves on holiday. The 96 version felt much bigger, easier and more freeridey than the 86 and 76. I think it's a general rule that FSWs above 90l are more freeridey oriented and the smaller ones are looser, more turney. In other words, same model boards at different volumes can feel quite different.

(BTW, I heard that Fanatic is discontinuing the classic freewave from next season and will only have the stubby version.)

I would look for a tri fin. They allow you to stay in control when the wind really picks up. I would also look for thick footpads. I have a patrik fsw 86 (don't know what year). It planes early, quite loose for a single fin, but the ride can be jarring over rough water - the footpads are quite thin.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
15 Apr 2017 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

You can calm the board down considerably with a smaller more swept back fin. But a 96l board is big for rough conditions.

i found a used 21cm cross shore wave fin and reboxed to fit my Fsw. The stock fin on the Fsw was a deep 23 so the change made a big difference.

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
16 Apr 2017 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

How much do you weigh?

what is the water conditions where you sail? Rough or smooth? Ocean swell or bay?

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
17 Apr 2017 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

The SB 86L above sounds great but if you're going to keep the 96 then I'd be going for the next size down from the 86.

at around 80kg I use a jp Fsw 93 & 78L. This gives me a range of 6.2 to 4.2m sails. When I sail Sydney's Botany Bay in a big southerly it gets messy with 0.5 to 1m closely spaced swell ramps and confused chop. Often you have no choice but to be in the air between ramps. So a small board is much nicer in the air and landing it safely is easier in the mush. ..... and a lot more fun. :)

westozwind
WA, 1379 posts
17 Apr 2017 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Don't discount the Tabou 3S (if you can find one). Great board in any size and super comfy thick pads.

windsurfbabe
6 posts
17 Apr 2017 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I only weigh 52kg. I used the 96L fanatic fsw most of the 5.3 or above condition. I'll need a 47 at 22~24knots. Where I based only have bump and jump condition with no real waves...
So I'll definitely keep the 96L and get an extra board. It's just that no sure which brand to buy.
Probably those with trifin set up as of my 96L would be more flexible

windsurfbabe
6 posts
17 Apr 2017 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

I sail in the ocean. It's gonna be rough. But sometimes need to sail for a distance to get good wind. Plus it'll be rather gusty. Not the perfect condition.

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
17 Apr 2017 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
westozwind said..
Don't discount the Tabou 3S (if you can find one). Great board in any size and super comfy thick pads.

Have you tried the new stubby shape? Does it live up to the reputation of the old shape? 85 is the smallest now, which is too big for some.

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
17 Apr 2017 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurfbabe said..
I only weigh 52kg. I used the 96L fanatic fsw most of the 5.3 or above condition. I'll need a 47 at 22~24knots. Where I based only have bump and jump condition with no real waves...
So I'll definitely keep the 96L and get an extra board. It's just that no sure which brand to buy.

4.7 is a big sail in 22-24 knots at your weight. IMO you need something around 75l (probably less). Unfortunately there are few FSWs made that small. There are many small wave boards, but they are less then ideal for what you want and many have footstraps very wide apart.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
17 Apr 2017 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Windsurf UK has heaps of reviews on FSW boards for the last 5 years
www.windsurf.co.uk/

Don't discount older boards, for my weight of 70 - 75 kg I have 2008 JP FSW 101 and FSW 84 and they are both sweet in rough conditions and pretty quick.
Maybe for you keep your 96 and get a 70 something. If you read the reviews all the boards are a little different, speed, gybes, waves or blasting. They will all do the job, don't stress too much

windsurfbabe
6 posts
18 Apr 2017 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Haggar said..
Windsurf UK has heaps of reviews on FSW boards for the last 5 years
www.windsurf.co.uk/

Don't discount older boards, for my weight of 70 - 75 kg I have 2008 JP FSW 101 and FSW 84 and they are both sweet in rough conditions and pretty quick.
Maybe for you keep your 96 and get a 70 something. If you read the reviews all the boards are a little different, speed, gybes, waves or blasting. They will all do the job, don't stress too much

I've reAd the 2016 and 2017 reviews.... I just feel like they are an advert more than a true review. Almost all comments are positive....

Faff
VIC, 1169 posts
18 Apr 2017 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurfbabe said..
I've reAd the 2016 and 2017 reviews.... I just feel like they are an advert more than a true review. Almost all comments are positive....

Knew a guy who did reviews for them. He said he was told "please find something nice to say about this *". Because if they don't, no advertising from that brand next month. But you can read between the lines and at least surmise the character of the board, because they are different. Some are more like small free-ride boards, others are more like easy wave boards. The reviews are not entirely free of information. They just have to be extra polite not to offend the advertisers.

I've been told that French and German magazines are much more thorough and clinical.

Subsonic
WA, 2976 posts
18 Apr 2017 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Look for boards with more rocker, particularly through the nose. Also look for boards with deeper concaves/vee through the length of the board (on the bottom of the board). It all makes for a cushier/more forgiving ride.

A board with less width at your weight would be good to look for too, it's less windage to stop the board flying up onto the rail when you get a bit too much air under it.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7925 posts
18 Apr 2017 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurfbabe said..

I'm 65kgs and in 22-24kts chop I'd want than a 70-75ltre board. For your weight I'd say if the winds consistent a 70ltre or less would be better..
It is a hassle for us females to find small enough boards. As they say there aren't many small boards other than waveboards.. I actually started speed sailing on a waveboard as it was the smallest I could find at the time.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
18 Apr 2017 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrCranky said..

windsurfbabe said..

Knew a guy who did reviews for them. He said he was told "please find something nice to say about this *". Because if they don't, no advertising from that brand next month. But you can read between the lines and at least surmise the character of the board, because they are different. Some are more like small free-ride boards, others are more like easy wave boards. The reviews are not entirely free of information. They just have to be extra polite not to offend the advertisers.

I've been told that French and German magazines are much more thorough and clinical.

I know what you saying but funny thing is that the boards that I have had that there have been reviews for I have to agree that the reviews were quite accurate. They may not give really negative comments but the they do say what the boards are suited to. Ie wave riding, speed, control early planing or an all rounder etc

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Fsw board confusion... which to buy?" started by windsurfbabe