Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Goya One 2020 ?

Created by AlexF 3 months ago, 14 Oct 2019
AlexF
252 posts
14 Oct 2019 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Could anybody ride the Goya One 2020 yet?
And maybe compare it to other (Goya) boards, especially for waveriding.

The marketing messages read like it has more flatwater bias than the former generations.

Alex

Tallboy
10 posts
15 Oct 2019 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Not been on the 2020 One but I have seen Francisco ripping on it in Canos de Meca in head high cross shore with 30 knots.
I suspect he could make any board look good but he was getting some nice turns.
I really like the changes from 19 to 20 on the Custom 3. Had some good days on the Custom 3 106 recently and its really easy and comfortable to sail. Perfect board for me for most of my sailing in cross on to cross off in up to head high.
If you are lucky enough to get proper reef or sandbar DTL then go for the Custom 3 or 4
The 20 One has a Powerbox.

AlexF
252 posts
16 Oct 2019 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, I also like the Custom Thruster 3 . My small board is 2019 CT 99, perfect wave board for my 90 kg.
My recent lightwind and Freewave board is the 2018 One 116. I change my boards every 2-3 years, so I wondered if the 2020 One 115 is still as good for waveriding.
The flater noserocker and wider and thicker tail imply it's moved a little to the Freeride flatwater side, loosing a little in waveriding.

Alex

Tallboy
10 posts
16 Oct 2019 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Yes surprised there is not a bigger Custom 3.
I used to have a Goya Quad 118 (still got the 96) and loved that for pure float and ride but it was a bit boring outside of that.
Last year I got a Slingshot Wizard and that has taken over from the float and ride days although I still miss them. In South Wales we get the best waves when there is not much wind and the 106 is to small for me (95kg) to float out through the impact zone.
I cannot comment on the One but for me moving from the 105 to 106 Custom 3 , the rocker changes, bottom shape, volume distribution, flatter deck and wider tail have made it much more comfortable (found the 105 a bit harsh and it sailed nose up), easier to plane and more surfy.
You could ask Goya and see what they say about the new One. They are very good at replying.
TWS in Medano have the new 115 I think.

Steve

frankfinn
7 posts
Monday , 13 Jan 2020 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

Im recently back from Medano and tried an array of boards in winds generally around 20kts. Have to say my fav board to use there was the Goya 2020 One 105. Im 92kg n 6'3 btw.
TWS did not have the Goya CT 106 to compare with but they did have the 99.
The conditions in Medano are far more suited to using a freewave board so I preferred it to using the CT 99. Im not sure why people are saying it is less 'wavey' and more freewave than previous models. It hits the plain very quickly and is very controllable when jumping and glides away nicely after landing.
I managed to compare it directly with the Quatro Power 105 and found the Goya to be marginally more wave orientated than the Power. The Power was excellent too I may add. Then again, like getting 10 different diagnosis's from 10 different doctors, everyone will have their own opinion which could come down to footstrap and mast foot placement or a rig being better rigged than the other or a simple fin change.
But for what its worth I thought the 2020 version felt very manoeuvrable and would love to see what it would be like in DTL conditions. So much so that I am seriously considering getting one instead of the CT 105 that was/is on my wish list.

Stephen
Current boards
Quatro SM 103
Goya CT 92.

Shlogger
62 posts
Monday , 13 Jan 2020 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

I've had the 2020 One 115 for a few months now. There's a reason they call it the One. It's a Chameleon of a board. Use the stock 25 cm center w the 12cm side bites and it's a really fast wave board. I've had it in victory at sea and side-off and it really works. If you want to bump and jump, put a larger Center in and smaller sides bites or blanks and put the pedal all the way down. The board is smoking fast. I've caught guys on freeride boards w this machine. Partly because you can keep the pedal all the way down as it's buttery smooth. Once you get your foot straps set in the right spot, it's a very quick planing machine. It's also my shlogging board and I love the volume distribution, just so balanced. Honestly, this is one of the very few boards I've ever owned that I wouldn't change a thing and I can be super critical.
Very comparable to the JP FSW but less of nervousness that you might want for more B&J apps w a little more bias towards being smoother for the waves. Hope this helps.

uweh
298 posts
Monday , 13 Jan 2020 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

cool thanks for report...

AlexF
252 posts
Tuesday , 14 Jan 2020 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Thanx Slogger.
Could you tell a little more about the waveriding you did with the One, conditions, sail size etc.
Compare it to your former boards, if possible.
In the other Thread about the Goya Quad 114, the essence was, that the the Quad should also be a good (freewave) alternative, having a shape that would be the same when it would be a Custom 3 with a Thruster instead Quad setup.

Choices, choices ..

Shlogger
62 posts
2 hours ago , 18 Jan 2020 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

I've sailed it with a powered 5.3 in some side-on conditions with waist to chest waves and I've also sailed it in some side to slightly side-off from waist high to head. If I could only have One board, all puns intended, this would be it for those who live in real world conditions. But !!! Because I can have more than one board.....I have the 115 One mostly for the lighter stuff and the 104 Quad for pure wave-sailing. On both boards I wouldn't change a thing. Well....I always want thinner rails. ;0 I think I nailed it above. I consider the JP FSW, a shape that hasn't changed in 3 years the quintessential FSW wave board. As I said above, the One just seems a little less nervous or smoother and a tad more wave orientated. Big compliments for both boards. I had the Quad 104 wound up today on a 4.5 in chest to shoulder sides-shore chaos w some twin 18's. It was a rocket ship. But for the day I would of preferred the stock fin setup and the next size down.
To answer your last point, ones a FSW board and the other is a wave board. Could I rig a 6.1 on the Quad w the Twines and blast around on a summer seabreeze with some small waves...Yes....but would I rather be on the One....yes. If the waves are head plus powered side-shore could I take the One out...Yes....but would rather be on the Quad,. Happy shopping, hope this helps.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Goya One 2020 ?" started by AlexF