Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

JP FSW 112-What's It's real volume?

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 24 Apr 2010
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
24 Apr 2010 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a 2010 JP FSW 112 Pro edition to replace my Fanatic 2008 Freewave 113, But the JP appears to be a much smaller volume board then the number indicates. I'm actually lighter then I was last year and I could uphaul the 113 with no problems, my new 112? sinks like a stone. Does anyone know the true volume of the JP FSW 112?, I think It's about 105 or smaller, I've compared it with my mates 110 X-cite and it sinks heaps more. Has anyone else got one and noticed this as well? What would be the reason JP would over state a boards volume?

It's still an awesome board and I love it...Get one.

sailpilot
QLD, 780 posts
24 Apr 2010 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

These board volumes are a real joke, it anoys me no end that they can get the rocker line to within a millimetre but won't give an honest volume for the boards.

My fanatic Hawk 123 sinks more than the JP supersport 118 I had before (no I didn't put on weight)

Sorry about the rant, and no I can't say what your FSW actually is.

zippyblue
NSW, 111 posts
26 Apr 2010 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

I just got a 2010 109 JP FWS (Supersport).

It uphauls just fine and doesn't sink. I weight about 80kg incl harness etc, and was out with a 8m sail, without much wind.

You screwed in the pressure valve thingy right

Maybe the freestyle wave is different to the supersport it is quite a bit shorter.

racerX
457 posts
26 Apr 2010 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

What would be the reason JP would over state a boards volume?

Its annoying. Starboard do the same thing. I guess it's so they have a nice progession of numbers between the boards in a particular range... Otherwise the volume progession in a range might look confusing. But why can't the put the real volume right next to the dimensions in the little writing that is printed on the boards. Too simple I imagine...

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
27 Apr 2010 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

The German Surf Magazin used to to volume tests as part of their annual board test series. Quite often the volume was off by as much as 5 liters.

That said, I think in addition to the actual volume the overall volume distribution is also important. For example if you compare a 2004 wave board with a 2010 wave board you'll find the length of the boards has come down considerably. In some cases the width has increased and in addition you sometimes find the area around the mast track to be considerably thicker.

I believe the result of this pocket design is that the boards plane a little bit earlier and don't sink as quickly (don't have a scientific explanation of that).

What's the width/ weight distribution of your Freewave compared to the JP? Also, perhaps the Freewave was actually bigger in volume or perhaps cough cough you have but on some weight since getting the new board .

stringer
WA, 703 posts
27 Apr 2010 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

all the slalom / speed baords are on here.. not sure about waveboards

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/ISAFListSlalomComplete-[8370].pdf

try this link if the one above doesnt work

www.sailing.org/11671.php

westozwind
WA, 1374 posts
27 Apr 2010 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

I remember reading about the German Surf Magazine doing the volume tests. I'm pretty sure they did this in South Africa, at Werner Gnigler's (JP Shaper) place. I'm prety sure he has the tank they do their tests in, so I'd be surprised if the JP's quoted volume was off.
Shape and volume distribution may be what gives the FSW a different feel.
More on Werner's place here
http://www.boardseekermag.com/special_features/windsurfing-equipment/werner-gnigler-jp-shaper-070.htm

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
27 Apr 2010 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

I Don't know much about how they distribute the volume through the boards, The Fanatic looked to have much more dome to the deck while the JP looks a lot flater but boxier through the middle around the mast track. My weight only changes with how much beer I consume on weekends, therefore not an issue. I really didn't think they would be that different, I could uphaul on the 113 with no dramas...with the 112 I have to be super quick, but by then I've sunk to my knees. And yes the vent plug was done up.

It's only in real light winds where I notice the difference, If there is enough wind to water start...there is not much difference at all....Except that the JP is the better board, The JP is awsome to gybe and super easy to tack...as long as there is some wind.

Next time it's windy I'll take them both out and do a side by side test and see what the difference really is.

Anyways here is the specs on the boards...What's your thoughts.

The specs on the 2008 Fanatic freewave:

Volume : Length : Width : Weight
113 : 245 : 66 : 6,9
The specs on the 2010 JP FSW:

112 : 237 : 64,5 : 6,1
Last year JP had a 107 FSW that had the following specs:

107 : 248 : 64 : 6,4

Cheers...Jase.

racerX
457 posts
27 Apr 2010 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Perhaps the Fanatic was actually bigger than its quoted volume. Looking at your pics on your profile, I can't imagine a little bit of board sink would cause you any problems uphaulling. But the new board is narrower so maybe that its. I find my 65cm wide fsw is a bit sketchy to uphaul if there is some swell.

If you have a mate with a board on that ISAF list that is a similar volume you could do a side by side comparision.

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
28 Apr 2010 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

racerX said...

Perhaps the Fanatic was actually bigger than its quoted volume. Looking at your pics on your profile, I can't imagine a little bit of board sink would cause you any problems uphaulling.

I have a 120 and the 113 felt about the right size compared to that, The new 112 I've had side by side in the water with a 110 X-cite and the 112 was noticeably sinkier.
As you said, I don't have an issue with a sinky board...It's just not what I was expecting when I bought the board. Don't get me wrong It's a great board for when I head down the coast, But the issue is I do most of my sailing on a fresh water lake, The fanatic(113) I had was perfect for the fresh water, Just enough float to keep slogging along in the big lulls we have. The new JP(112) I have doesn't have the float I need on fresh water, I spend my time in the lulls trying to keep my balance and sinking to my knees....Now I'm stuck on my 120 when I'd like to be on something just a little bit smaller.

As for the pics, they're not all of me...But I can hold my own.

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
28 Apr 2010 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

westozwind said...
http://www.boardseekermag.com/special_features/windsurfing-equipment/werner-gnigler-jp-shaper-070.htm

Thanks for pointing this out! Interesting to watch their development process. I think Werner has come up with some great shapes (ie FSW, RWW) but I am baffled by his decision to design his own fins.

Either I am a really s..t sailor (which is very likely) or I don't get what their marketing goal is (also very likely) but I (as well as other people) have found that some of the fin choices for the JP boards leave much to be desired...

I know this is off topic and I also know you can always get a better fin yourself but average weekend windsurfer who just put down 3 grand for a new board is hardly going to get a new $250 fin on top.

So please JP dudes (as well as others... yes you Mr Starboard) please consider providing the option of different fin combos for your pro edition top of the line light weight boards. You customers would thank you for it!

Rider5
WA, 567 posts
28 Apr 2010 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

westozwind said...

I remember reading about the German Surf Magazine doing the volume tests. I'm pretty sure they did this in South Africa, at Werner Gnigler's (JP Shaper) place. I'm prety sure he has the tank they do their tests in, so I'd be surprised if the JP's quoted volume was off.
Shape and volume distribution may be what gives the FSW a different feel.
More on Werner's place here

Good link
Interesting that Ricardo's board is a different shape to the productions everyone else has "a bit more radical than used in production" "a bit shorter" "fuller rails" "even round deck shape that he can stand comfortable" as he is a better rider than anyone else.

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
28 Apr 2010 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Rider5 said...
Interesting that Ricardo's board is a different shape to the productions everyone else has "a bit more radical than used in production" "a bit shorter" "fuller rails" "even round deck shape that he can stand comfortable" as he is a better rider than anyone else.

I knew it! The reason why these guys are better than the rest of us is because they get that little bit of extra put into their boards

surfdog93
1 posts
19 May 2010 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

jh2703,

I would love to hear more about your JP112......
I've owned several Fanatic Freewaves the last (4) years ie 96, 98, 104 and finally 113.
My fav. was still the FW96, but was also the most demanding.

This year I purchased the JP FSWpro 102 which I really liked, but was also smallish for me (100+kg) on the lighter days. It's definately a lot more work as a bigger guy and so have been contemplating the 112.
When powered, the JP FSWpro 102 is electric, fast/light controllable yet exciting to ride and does a great job in the waves......hoping the the 112 is similar.

I've done a lot of sail experimentation as well and have ended up with an Ezzy wave panther 6.0 as my largest. While a bit of challenge to rig properly, you can set it up to be very powerful / pumpable for the light stuff and still have it feel great as wind picks up. Another plus is that it really feels good on the 430 rdm. I tried many other larger sails on the 430 rdm and the power wasn't there.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"JP FSW 112-What's It's real volume?" started by jh2703