Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

JP FreestyleWave Pro. Differences between 2018 and 2019 ?

Created by jn1 25 days ago, 18 Nov 2018
jn1
SA, 1609 posts
18 Nov 2018 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know the differences between the 2018 and 2019 model FSW Pro models ? (Specifically the smaller models)

Does anyone own these smaller models ?. What do you think compared to the older (2014/15) shapes ?. Does the shorter nose improve/worsen handling/control in very choppy ocean ?

Thanks

Jman
VIC, 854 posts
18 Nov 2018 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 93 in a 2014 model which i believe is the 1st year they used s-glass. I've been tempted to get the 79 for a while but didn't want to commit to one without trying one so rented the 79 while in Maui recently and was really happy with it so much that I have a 2019 on its way. The day i tested the 79 I was able to compare it with a wave board which was 5 liters in volume bigger but the jp fsw 79 planed earlier and was a lot more fun for the type of sailing i do which is mainly bump & jump and playing in small waves. As far as the shorty shape i didn't find anything negative about it at all. I also have been told the 2018 and 19 are the same shape.

jn1
SA, 1609 posts
18 Nov 2018 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate. What's your weight ?. What sails were you using ?

Jman
VIC, 854 posts
19 Nov 2018 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

I'm 76 kg and was using 4 to 5m on the 79

Al1
12 posts
27 Nov 2018 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 72kgs and have purchased the 2018 94L in pro construction.
2018 and 2019 are the same shapes, only difference is the tinted resin on the rails of the 2019 boards, which is supposed to make the paint more durable . I use mine with 5.8 and 5.2 Ezzy Legacy, in all kind of sea states.
Haven't tried it with my 4.7 Elite yet, but have the feeling it will be great on it.
the last JP fsw I tried before the 2018 was a 2008 or 2010 (?) model, which was light , nervous, super fast but also a bit too stiff and unconfortable when cruising in the chop for me. The 2018 with the new construction feels completely different, it still has the JP signature lively nature and speed, but is now super confortable in the chop as well.
It's fast, the wide nose makes it super easy to tack, and it's one of the most manouverable fsw board out there. It's confortable in waves as well.
I have put a 19cm Select center fin and K4 Ezzy 10cm 3? front fins on mine to play in small waves.
It's awesome in sideon mushy stuff.
But I have also used it in shoulder/head high cross offshore peeling groundswell, and it worked ! My only complaint is that in these kind of conditions the stance is a tiny bit too narrow to my liking. It has the usual fsw stance that most brands have, meaning something around 44/45 cm max. But in the waves I need something wider like around 47/48 cm to really use the rail to surf properly. I am using the maximum spread of the straps possible, and it's fine. I would love the option of a wider stance though, like on a true dedicated wave board. Hear me out JP !

All in all, it's a great allround funboard. It does everything the brochure says, it's fast , confortable, and you can even use it in proper waves (as long as it's not mast high ^^).
A great toy for the ocean.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"JP FreestyleWave Pro. Differences between 2018 and 2019 ?" started by jn1