Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

LM/Cheeky Monkey Slalom 112

Created by mr love > 9 months ago, 1 May 2011
mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
1 May 2011 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

When built this will be the latest addition to the "Love Muscle" collection. This is a render/sketch.

I CAD designed it on "Alias", Stuart from Cheeky Monkey Boards (formerly Dweller Designs) will be building it. Stuart has just recently completely rebuilt his CNC machine.
The board is more conventional than my other boards. It is designed for rough water/open Ocean with ample V right through and a subtle double concave in the front fading out at 600 off. The nose rocker is a bit higher than my last one to make running deep in waves a bit less scary and really tucked rails in the front half will prevent it from "grabbing". Moderate tail cuts on the bottom reduce the wetted surface.
Really looking forward to seeing how it comes out, I am pretty confident that it will be quick but also really easy to sail fast.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
1 May 2011 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board Mr Love whats it sizes WxL and volume.

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
1 May 2011 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Is that a ridge running through the deck concave?

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
1 May 2011 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Vando, It,s 236X70 and 112 litres. 46.5@300 off.

There is a small ridge about 12cm wide running down the centreline like a spine. This ridge is recessed lower than the normal deck height to get the COE down but it has deeper recesses either side.The idea behind this is to increase the stiffness.

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
2 May 2011 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Looks nice! What's the advantage of the deep deck scoops either side of the mast track?

Does Alias (Studio?) calculate volume?

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
2 May 2011 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Sheartip, I modelled the board with a normal scooped out deck recess like I have done on both my speed boards. When I ran the volume ( yes the Alias software does calculate volume) I was a bit over over where I wanted to be. I noticed than when I cut a section through the centre of the mast track the deck was actually quite flat as this board is quite wide. What I decided to do was recess the deck out a bit deeper either side of the mast track to get rid of excess volume and I am anticipating that this extra section through the deck will considerably stiffen it up.
Was a spur of the moment thing but after I had done it I liked it, so it stayed. The real beauty of designing boards on computer is you can try things and if you don't like what you have done there is not a big pile of foam dust on the ground, you just change it!!

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
2 May 2011 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sheartip, Here's a section off the screen through the centre of mast track that shows what the deck recess is doing. As you can see from the figures it is all pretty subtle, the way I set the lights up in the render makes it read much stronger.

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
5 May 2011 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Some more images and info for any fellow design nerds who may be interested.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"LM/Cheeky Monkey Slalom 112" started by mr love