Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Naish Global 98L 2016 Maximum sail size

Created by thesentry33 A week ago, 8 Mar 2019
thesentry33
2 posts
8 Mar 2019 3:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hey everybody! I am reading this forum since I started windsurfing/kitesurfing. I've found a lot of useful information which helped me to resolve my issues. I need some opinions of people who are in this sport longer than I am so I can decide what to do.

I am writing from Bulgaria. It's a small slavic country in Europe. The sea coast has length of 350km. The usual wind here is blowing from 15 knots to 25 knots. Mostly onshore and side shore winds.

I own JP SuperSport 124L (2016) which I use with freerace 2 cam sail Gaastra Cosmic 8.0 and freerace camless Vandal Stitch 7.0. I am using these sails 75% of the time. The problem is that sometimes I am feeling overpowered when I am using the 7 and the fun is gone. I've just bought Naish Global 98L (2016) which I am planning to use with my Gaastra Cross 5.6 and sail around 6.2 which is the maximum sail size according to the manufacturer. The Global has thruster fin set - Central fin 23cm, side fins 2x10cm. In the summer I am working in a windsurf school and I have plenty of boards and sails to choose from. Before my purchase I was using school's board Fanatic FreeWave 106L (2015) Thruster fin set + 6.4 North Sails Duke. It was really perfect combination for the conditions when my 7.0 and JP SS were feeling too much of everything.
The Global is longer than Fanatic FSW and their width is almost the same. Fanatic has 8 liters more and it is wider by 0.7 cm.
My question is can i use 6.3/6.4 sail with the Global. I know the only way to answer it is by testing. The problem is I don't own 6.2,6.3 or 6.4 and it's winter here and there isn't wind. There will be Surf Expo soon and I can buy sail on a good price. Every opinion is valuable.

LeeD
387 posts
8 Mar 2019 4:54AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, easily, but...
The added weight if a 6.4 compared to it's slightly more area can affect handling adversely while adding just a tiny bit to early planing. Oftentimes, in marginal winds, sail tuning can make up the difference in size.

Madge
NSW, 144 posts
8 Mar 2019 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

might be better chucking a larger centre fin into the board, they are normally supplied with a fin thats suitable for around 5.3m sail.

Mark _australia
WA, 18809 posts
8 Mar 2019 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
Yes, easily, but...
The added weight if a 6.4 compared to it's slightly more area can affect handling adversely while adding just a tiny bit to early planing. Oftentimes, in marginal winds, sail tuning can make up the difference in size.

I would not say easily at all.

The 6.4 will feel very large on any 98L freewave, let alone a waveboard.

My Cross 6.4 feels wonderfully at home on my 116L 3S with the factory 34cm fin and dropping down to a relatively small 28cm FSW fin makes the 6.4 barely useable (spinout / lask of lift)

I can't imagine 6.4 on the Global 98. Certainly not "easily"

The min and max specified by manufacturers are already very optimistic. If they say 6.2 max, that's a stretch already.

Shifu
QLD, 1018 posts
8 Mar 2019 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Might work. My Exocet Cross 94 (240x60) easily carries my 6.5 Ezzy Cheetah with a 32cm fin and provides fast exciting sailing , if the wind is sufficient.

philn
221 posts
8 Mar 2019 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

I used a 6.3 on a Fanatic Stubby 99 L (218x60) with 20 cm center and original sides (12cm). Felt big, but it worked.

thesentry33
2 posts
8 Mar 2019 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

I guess I will have to wait for good forecast and higher air and water temperatures to try different sails on this board. I have always wondered about sail size numbers written on our boards. On my SS manufacturer gives ideal sail size with the original fin 6.7-8.2. I have tried it with camless Hellcat 8.2 and Hellcat 6.7 and everything was amazing. I think this board was developed using those NP sails. Don't get me wrong my 8.0 Cosmic is working as well and I can't find a single reason to switch it with Hellcat. They are both equally great. Guys I can buy right now on really great price Fanatic FSW 2009 95L. According to manufacturer max sail size is 6.7. I think actually that Fanatic sail size numbers written on the board are always a bit exaggerated. Probably 6.2 but 6.7 is too much.

I've always wanted to have board with thruster fin set. This was a mistake because I should buy the equipment which I can use with the local conditions not the one which I am dreaming for. If I am having 40- 50 sessions per season(April - November) only 10 of these require the use of sail 6-6.4 and 2,3 sessions for my 5.6. So do you think its worth keeping this board in my quiver if its working fine with 6.2(I am planning to buy Naish Boxer 6.2 or Naish Force V) or should I look for different bump and jump board. And Global actually is FSW board its not pure wave.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Naish Global 98L 2016 Maximum sail size" started by thesentry33