Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

New Cheeky Monkey Love Machine

Created by mr love > 9 months ago, 25 May 2013
mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
25 May 2013 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

A new design, files sent to Stuart all ready to go. Slalom, 70 wide, 240 long, bottom shape undisclosed at this point in time, a bit of an experiment.
I have included a suggestion for Stuart to upgrade his Cheeky Monkey logo.

I can't wait to try it!!!!!!

keef
NSW, 2015 posts
25 May 2013 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

very impressive martin, a bit of a glassing nightmare but I guess nothing Stuart cant handle

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
25 May 2013 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, a challenge for sure. The tail cuts are a hybrid of what Starboard and RRD are doing, I tried about 10 different versions trying to make the construction easier and kept coming back to this. I am still sticking to the winger idea I have used a lot but doing them as deep cutouts means you can get the back foot out wider without making the board too wide on the planning surface. In essence RRD's "toro" tail but executed a bit differently.
The rest of the bottom is top secret!!! I don't want to disclose it until I have tried it. It could be a dismal failure, but my gut feel is it will work really well.
I have sent him 3 files, finished board outside surface, core offset 3.2mm without tail cuts and deck and rails offset 3.2mm with finished surface bottom and cutouts. What he is going to do is glue HD blocks into the tail, then CNC the core without cutouts. He will then vacc on the bottom before putting it back in the CNC with a smaller cutter and machine in the cutouts. Then vac deck and rails.

Yep complex but I am sure he is up to the challenge.

Dear Leader will be happy.

keef
NSW, 2015 posts
25 May 2013 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

The rest of the bottom is top secret!!! I don't want to disclose it until I have tried it. It could be a dismal failure, but my gut feel is it will # really well.

if its radical my guess is I have tried it at some stage, you know martin, maybe I can save you a few sleepless nights if you tell me
not sure what the raised channel is doing through the center, besides being a pain in the ass to glass, its defeating the purpose of the concave deck and getting the rig lower to the deck
"edit" it looks like the raised section is before the track

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
25 May 2013 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

The last board had it as well, it is to increase the stiffness. It is deceiving, the render makes it look more aggressive than it is as I shone the light across the surface to throw shadows. It only lifts 5mm from the main recess and has really soft radii on the edges so the HD foam curves over it no problem. The mast track is still very recessed, it is just more recessed either side.

Jas71
QLD, 384 posts
25 May 2013 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

very nice, i hope your going to tell us more after you have taken it out for a sail

Fredstyles
85 posts
25 May 2013 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Promising design. Love Machine designs are obviously getting highly sophisticated. I'm very curious about the secret bottomshape, expecting something radical. Hopefully it works. Please keep us informed.

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
26 May 2013 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Not really radical, more unusual.

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
5 Jun 2013 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

It,s happening, I'm excited!!!!

FormulaNova
WA, 14049 posts
5 Jun 2013 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

You have made/designed a few boards now. Have any of them been dogs, and would you admit it if they were?

They look good in CAD, but do they actually work?

Mobydisc
NSW, 9018 posts
5 Jun 2013 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FormulaNova said..

You have made/designed a few boards now. Have any of them been dogs, and would you admit it if they were?

They look good in CAD, but do they actually work?

I've ridden one last summer. I really enjoyed it. I tried it out in a light NE seabreeze and it was very easy to get going and then stay on the plane. I found it to be quite short and quite wide with the footstraps right out on the rail so very much a slalom board and not like my freeride board. However it was pretty easy to ride. Here is a short video of me on it.

I'd be happy to buy one but funds are limited. I like the fact you can have whatever finbox you like in it, so my powerbox fins wouldn't be obsolete if I buy a more performance oriented board with a tuttle finbox.

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
5 Jun 2013 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

None of them have been dogs. The first board I designed was a jump and bump that Mark Stone built. I really liked it but hit something big one day and killed it. The first slalom board that Peter Ross built for me was a really radical outline and bloody fast. Not the best gyber and had a really low nose rocker so was a wee bit scary on the bay. Not for everybody and it was a good learning exercise for me. The speed board he built I still use and is plenty fast enough for my abilities, it's very easy to ride.
The bigger speed board Stuart built I also still use and is bloody good.
The first Slalom board Stuart built for me is really nice, fast and easy to ride, likes the bay waves, good allrounder.

This board Stuart is building is a proto for a project I am involved in and the bottom shape is a bit of an experiment.

So none have been pigs but I would be arrogant of me to say they are better than this or that, they are just what I like. I have got good feedback from those that have ridden them so far. Always learning and I like to think every new one gets better.

Fredstyles
85 posts
6 Jun 2013 12:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FormulaNova said..

...They look good in CAD, but do they actually work?

Thanks to Martin Love I've found an answer to this question.

FormulaNova
WA, 14049 posts
6 Jun 2013 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fredstyles said..

FormulaNova said..

...They look good in CAD, but do they actually work?

Thanks to Martin Love I've found an answer to this question.

Do you think it would go better if you added footstraps?

They might actually be there, but I can't tell with your clever camouflage paint/carbon work

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
6 Jun 2013 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Fred, Yes I forgot to mention I had done a couple of designs for you, you did an amazing job with the build.
I hope you are still enjoying them.
The board in the video is one Stuart built from my Slalom 70 file, he simply just scaled it wider in the Y axis to 83. Apparently it goes great.

dweller
NSW, 134 posts
6 Jun 2013 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

I have made myself a ML112 Slalom 70cm (slightly different construction) and love it.

From the the same design came the 83cm, 143ltr board 'Green Meanie'. This is the one I sailed most of the early summer months with a 7.6m and a 46cm fin. In the 10-14 knots wind range it was constantly returning 25-30 knots GPS speeds and still smooth. I would have to say it's my favorite.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Cheeky-Monkey-Slalom-236cm-x-83cm

The 86cm 148ltr is great with a 9m and a 50cm fin in 8-12knot generates the same speeds

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Cheeky-Monkey-Slalom-148lt

I have to say that I completely trust Martin's designs 'without question' to the extent of using one of his designs to build a plug board to make molds from, so that I can test production board constructions

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Well-Ive-finally-cracked-it

And once I have Martin's new board done i will be ready to go with the mold

Fredstyles
85 posts
6 Jun 2013 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Hi Fred, Yes I forgot to mention I had done a couple of designs for you, you did an amazing job with the build.
I hope you are still enjoying them.
The board in the video is one Stuart built from my Slalom 70 file, he simply just scaled it wider in the Y axis to 83. Apparently it goes great.

I've hardly used anything else than your designs the last couple of years. I still ride all of them with great pleasure. The 75 cm Slalom is my favourite and I'm currently thinking of building a smaller one but I'm not sure about the exact size yet.

It's exciting to see more and more Love Machines are hitting the water and I can't wait to read more about the moulded boards and the secret project.

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
7 Jun 2013 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

There is a bit of footage of the Slalom 70 in Cols awesome Sandy Point Video. More footage of Spotti on the board than me, Orange Koncept.

Wineman
NSW, 1412 posts
7 Jun 2013 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

I have watched a lot of windsurfing videos......

That has to be one of THE best videos of windsurfing & speed sailing ever. Magic, concise, enthralling.

keef
NSW, 2015 posts
8 Jun 2013 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

great vid martin,I have noticed you have gone to the bigger boards , your first board was a small speed

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
8 Jun 2013 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Probably good to put the effort into the boards that get used, how often do you use a 60ltr speed board compared to something in the 100-100 ltr range??? I am 90 kgs.
Yes, would love to do some more speed boards but how do I justify the expense of a new board that gets used 3 times a year compared to something I use twice a week in summer. Besides I have yet to go anywhere near the limit of my speed gear, the board is not holding me back so why replace it?

keef
NSW, 2015 posts
8 Jun 2013 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Probably good to put the effort into the boards that get used, how often do you use a 60ltr speed board compared to something in the 100-100 ltr range??? I am 90 kgs.
Yes, would love to do some more speed boards but how do I justify the expense of a new board that gets used 3 times a year compared to something I use twice a week in summer. Besides I have yet to go anywhere near the limit of my speed gear, the board is not holding me back so why replace it?

couldn't agree with you more , sounds like were on the same page martin, I'm into recycling, at the moment it's a naish sp60 and so far looking good , for $200 you can modify an old slalom, personaly im happy with the speed boards I have, if im goining to invest any $$$$'s in the future it will be a slalom, you never know it just mite be one of your designs, that's if they hit the production line
after saying that it probabley wouldn't look the the same after a season on the water

pwatts22
NSW, 57 posts
8 Jun 2013 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

classy video some of the best footage I've ever seen, could be used for tourism Victoria for advertising overseas it's that good, thanks for sharing

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
13 Jul 2013 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Stuart making great progress, now for the tricky tail.!!!

AJEaster
NSW, 695 posts
13 Jul 2013 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

There is a bit of footage of the Slalom 70 in Cols awesome Sandy Point Video. More footage of Spotti on the board than me, Orange Koncept.

Mystery solved. Thankyou. I always wondered what brand of board Spotti was riding there. Looks like she sprints along very nicely Martin

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
13 Jul 2013 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

He is on a big Carbon Art in parts, 75 wide I think, and on my Cheeky Monkey 70 in other parts. The shots of him going back upwind on Port tack are on my board plus a couple of his runs on the speed bank. It is the board with the black rails.

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
5 Sep 2013 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

It seems like a long time coming , no tuttle boxes in the country, but now Stuart is up to the painting stage. I knocked up a graphic scheme, something that can be easily masked and painted and hopefully she will be on the water in the not too distant future.

AJEaster
NSW, 695 posts
5 Sep 2013 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^Me likey!

mr love
VIC, 2296 posts
7 Sep 2013 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

keef
NSW, 2015 posts
7 Sep 2013 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

looking good martin , the bottom shape(concaves) has a MXR monster feel about it

spridget
19 posts
7 Sep 2013 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

i love to try this baby with my ka race sails

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"New Cheeky Monkey Love Machine" started by mr love