Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Recommendations for going smaller?

Created by kalak > 9 months ago, 3 Oct 2017
kalak
8 posts
3 Oct 2017 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

I've currently Fanatic Gecko 133 (with E_Type 6.6 and 7.8) and looking for something to replace that. When conditions are relatively flat, the board works like a dream with 7.8 sail. However when it gets more windy and I'll need rig 6.6, it's hard to control in chop. Gecko 133 has recommended range of 7.5-9-5 and it has served as a good platform to learn the basics. However I'm considering would it be right time to go bit smaller. I'm intermediate and weight around 70kgs. I can plane with straps set in outer position, but still early in learning curve with gybing and waterstart.

Would it be possible to find a board that would cover sail range of ~5.5-8.0, able to uphaul, easy enough for progression, but still have a bit challenge to learn more? And I'd like still be able to use my no-cam sails still for a season or two. Would for example Starboard Futura 117 or Fanatic Blast 115 be a good choice?

Thanks for any advice!

RichardG
WA, 2443 posts
3 Oct 2017 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kalak said..
I've currently Fanatic Gecko 133 (with E_Type 6.6 and 7.8) and looking for something to replace that. When conditions are relatively flat, the board works like a dream with 7.8 sail. However when it gets more windy and I'll need rig 6.6, it's hard to control in chop. Gecko 133 has recommended range of 7.5-9-5 and it has served as a good platform to learn the basics. However I'm considering would it be right time to go bit smaller. I'm intermediate and weight around 70kgs. I can plane with straps set in outer position, but still early in learning curve with gybing and waterstart.

Would it be possible to find a board that would cover sail range of ~5.5-8.0, able to uphaul, easy enough for progression, but still have a bit challenge to learn more? And I'd like still be able to use my no-cam sails still for a season or two. Would for example Starboard Futura 117 or Fanatic Blast 115 be a good choice?

Thanks for any advice!

I think either of the boards you propose would be fine but also consider the Goya Bolt 115 Litre which is free race (similar to the Futura and Blast) and highly lauded in magazine tests -241 cm x 71.8 cm wide x 115 Litres, weight: 6.8 kg.

I have a better value proposition however. If you are in WA how about a used Fanatic Ray 100 2012 model as one is available for sale now. PM me if interested.

It is in pristine condition too and in high end construction.
Fanatic Ray LTD 2012 100 Litres
Excellent condition - Long: 240 cm
Wide: 61 cm
Volume: 100 Litres
Weight: 6. 2 kg
Fin:Original Choco G10 Tuttle 34cm Fin
Construction: Carbon Kevlar Basalt Sandwich

At 70kg you probably could uphaul it and it should be good up to 30+ knots and down to 5.8 m2 and as large a sail as 8.3 m2. It is in superb condition. I should disclose I am the owner and it has been little used. Superlight pro construction and will handle stronger winds and chop better than the Gecko 133.

RichardG
WA, 2443 posts
4 Oct 2017 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

See free race 2017 tests at: www.windsurf.co.uk/test-type/freerace-boards-17/

and freerace 2016 tests : www.windsurf.co.uk/test-type/freerace-b16/

Faff
VIC, 658 posts
4 Oct 2017 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Get a 100-110 Gecko style board (wide and thin). You should be able to uphaul it. That will be your big board. But learn to water start. That's a key skill.

Tardy
2935 posts
4 Oct 2017 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

105_110 litre.I have a 105 rocket .at 95 kgs it still enough float .to chug home if the wind drops .

John340
QLD, 1929 posts
4 Oct 2017 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Our local shop owner has been using a 105 and 95 litre Severne Fox. It looks great, eats chop, appears to be a dream to gybe and is fast. He is your weight so the 105 would suit your requirements. It would work with both your 7.8 and 6.6.

gavnwend
NSW, 1006 posts
4 Oct 2017 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Get a sub 110 litre board.you are saying your weight is 70kg you could get away with a 105 to 110 ltr board.they are so much easier in chop' you will find it better to crack into the next learning stage

Stretchy
WA, 438 posts
4 Oct 2017 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

100L is plenty big enough for your weight. At 95kg, I can still limp home on a 100l board as long as there's a light breeze. Contrary to the current trend, I also wouldn't go too wide either. I used to have an Isonic 101(64cm wide) and I much prefer it over my current Falcon 113 (69cm) when the wind picks up. It didn't miss much at the bottom end either.
Try and keep width in the 60-66cm range. Narrower might be too challenging and wider will not be much improvement over your current situation. Just my opinion.

kalak
8 posts
4 Oct 2017 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

So you would all recommend for going 100-110 instead. I'll need to check the options in that range instead!

Uphauling with big board is less energy consuming than water starting. With smaller board that's other way around so, I should get incentive to learn do it properly with the new board :)

I'm still balancing between freeride and freerace. Where does the main difference come from? If I compare for example CarveIQ and Futura width is identical but tail is few centemeters narrower in Futura. Question is, with my skill level I'm just adding unnecessary difficulty by going for freerace instead of freeride? As this article would suggest: boards.co.uk/longform/freeride-vs-freerace-vs-race-which-gear-and-why

Thanks for offering gear for sale. I'm not living in Australia so that's unfortunately not an option. I just fancy your forum over the local ones ;)

John340
QLD, 1929 posts
4 Oct 2017 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kalak said..
Uphauling with big board is less energy consuming than water starting. With smaller board that's other way around so, I should get incentive to learn do it properly with the new board :)

Water starting is an essential skill for windsurfing. When there is sufficient wind to water start, no mater the sail or board size, up-hauling is always more energy consuming. Learn how to water start quickly. Note that wearing a flotation device really helps with flying the sail and hence water starting.

Capie
45 posts
5 Oct 2017 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

I'd have a look at the Fanatic Blast if I were you. Should be the perfect board to move to from a Gecko.

Before you do that though, have you set the footstraps to their outboard position? The Gecko changes character significantly with the straps outboard. At least the 105l that I had did.

kalak
8 posts
5 Oct 2017 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Capie said..
I'd have a look at the Fanatic Blast if I were you. Should be the perfect board to move to from a Gecko.

Before you do that though, have you set the footstraps to their outboard position? The Gecko changes character significantly with the straps outboard. At least the 105l that I had did.

Sure, Blast is definately on my shortlist. However the sizes are 100 and 115 and I'd prefer something in between.

Yes, I've had straps in outboard position for few months now and I agree, made plaining much more enjoyable. So with 7.8 sail Gecko 133 is perfect, but in stronger conditions it just becomes very hard to control.

Rob0104
45 posts
7 Oct 2017 4:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kalak, you might want to consider an older single fin freestyle wave board around 110 litres, the Tabou 3style , RRD freestylewave or just about any other brand. These boards are great fun and turn easily plus if you really need to uphaul you'll still have enough volume. Another plus is second hand you should pick one up cheap.
cheers rob

musorianin
QLD, 201 posts
8 Oct 2017 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

kalak said..

Water starting is an essential skill for windsurfing. When there is sufficient wind to water start, no mater the sail or board size, up-hauling is always more energy consuming. Learn how to water start quickly. Note that wearing a flotation device really helps with flying the sail and hence water starting.

^^^^
The ONLY time water starting is more energy consuming than up hauling is when there is not enough wind to water start, no matter what the board size. You can learn it in a single session if you're happy to sacrifice the time planing and having fun for that one session.

Back on topic, I also have a 133 Gecko (its my largest board), but I weight 95, and it feels BIG to me, you'd easily get away with about 105-110 litre, especially if you are able to plane in the straps on outboard position (I reckon it'd be like the 133 feels to me). When you get used to that, you'll be wanting to step down to about 80l. for higher wind sailing. Have fun

kalak
8 posts
9 Oct 2017 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

I fully aware that water start is the most efficient way, once you master it. But until that it's more energy consuming than uphaul and I've been lazy boy... Today I spend 2 hours just water starting. I was surprised how much buoyancy aid helped to progress. Only thing I'll still need to crack is getting clew out out of the water with big sail. Last 30cm of clew (basically end of boom) seems to be difficulty to fly out and if it's not done properly it sinks the whole sail...

I ended up buying brand new Fanatic Hawk 112. I got very very good offer for 2016 bamboo version. It's discontinued model but the price was ? compared to Blast (2017). That should give enough challenge for me a season or two before going for that 80l ;)

Tardy
2935 posts
9 Oct 2017 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Good move ..well done on the new stick .
we need a picture now

John340
QLD, 1929 posts
9 Oct 2017 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kalak said..
Only thing I'll still need to crack is getting clew out out of the water with big sail. Last 30cm of clew (basically end of boom) seems to be difficulty to fly out and if it's not done properly it sinks the whole sail...

Get the tail of the board pointing into the wind, with the mast at right angles to the wind and the clew pointing away from the wind. Then rotate the tail of the board under the mast through to the bottom leach of the sail with one hand while pushing up the mast from about a 450mm above the boom with the other. The flotation of the board pushes the clew of the sail out of the water. Rest the bottom leach of the sail on your board while you get your feet in the right position to water start.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Recommendations for going smaller?" started by kalak