Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Replacement for GA GTX9.8 2005 for lightwind sailing an lakes

Created by Sunzi > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2018
Sunzi
9 posts
9 Jan 2018 1:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I started enjoying windsurfing back in 1981 and still enjoy it.
In 2001 I bought myself a NP V8 10.5 which had 3 cams and (still) a narrow sleeve. This was great fun on my AHD Free Diamond 77 and guaranteed early planning and decent jibe capabilities. Later in 2006 I switched to a Gaastra GTX 9.8 twin cam which was designed again by Barry Spanier and had the same balanced feel (I also possess a MS-2 7.5twin cam by B.S.)
Meanwhile I bought myself a Lorch Bird 165 Blackline 2017(269/80/165) to have fun on lakes in southern Germany or Lake Garda in Italy when there is only a light breeze....
I am considering to update my sail to something newer although the "old sail" still works fine. On the short list: Early planning, easy handling, fun. Not so important: Rock stable in tatally overpowered conditions, extreme speed, and extreme upwind/downwind angles.
Last September I tried a Goya Mark in 8.5 which was wonderful easy to handle in manouvers but lacked definitively the grunt in comparison to my 1.3m2 larger cammed sail, which should be no surprise.

Possibly what I am looking for lies in between the two sails.
Reason for walking away from NP V8 in 2006 was the larger sleeve which made it more a Freerace sail than a Freeride sail.
Now sails have often a reduced boom lenght (except for Ezzy sails) which makes sails more top heavy.
Maybe the new V8 in 9.4 would be a good option or the North S-Type 9.3, or, or or... Just too many choices.

Should or could I look for something slightly below 9m2 such as 8.7m2 or 8.8m2 or would I sacrifice too much of grunt?

Any ideas wellcome. I am not at all in a hurry at all as it is winter here and I have time to check the options.

Sunzi

PS: This is one of the best windsurfing forum's I am aware of.

seanhogan
2954 posts
9 Jan 2018 3:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sunzi said..

PS: This is one of the best windsurfing forum's I am aware of.

without a doubt !
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Site-is-up-on-Wingsails?page=14#12

Sunzi
9 posts
14 Jan 2018 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

On the shortlist for the replacememt are: NP V8 9.4, Severne Turbo GT 9.2, Loftsails Traction 9.5, Gunsails Sunray 9.5, Ezzy Lion 9.5
All have in common: 2-cambers, relatively narrow sleeve and focus more on early planing than absolute profile stability in overpowered conditions.

Any thoughts?

Sunzi

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Replacement for GA GTX9.8 2005 for lightwind sailing an lakes" started by Sunzi