Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Sails for heavyweights in lightwind conditions

Created by CH68 > 9 months ago, 22 Jun 2017
CH68
7 posts
22 Jun 2017 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi to all heavyweight intermediate windsurfers (100 kg+),

Please do not take this as a commercial ;-) Because there are often topics related to heavyweights, I just wanted to let you know about my "find the right sail odyssey". 3 years ago, I started windsurfing as a 100 kg guy and my fist own sail was a North E_Type 8.2 (on a Gecko 156+) which was definitely to small at <12 kt (on Swiss lakes). The next attempt was a North S_Type 8.3. A little more power with a still nice handling. But as well not big enough. Then I went for a North WARP 9.6 (on a Falcon 152). Great power but heavy as hell to uphaul (not talking about the waterstart with water-filled sleeve) - to be fair, that is definitely made for pros, not intermediate surfers. However, last year, I got the chance to test several Point-7 AC-X (slalom sail without cambers) in different sizes (up to 9.0) and at last found my sail type. It is light, powerful, handy over a large wind range (conditions are quite gusty here) and feels as being a less smaller sail.

Greetings from Switzerland

joe windsurf
1480 posts
23 Jun 2017 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

greetings ... Gruss aus Kanada
i have used cambered sails from 7.0 to 10.0
as a heavyweight also
also prefer lighter feeling sails now ...
currently find my HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak 8.5 works with longboard, JP SLW92, etc, etc ...

BSN101
WA, 2249 posts
24 Jun 2017 4:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ch68, where in Switzerland are you? I am on holidays in holland then Switzerland in about 8days. I don't have kit but would luv to see your local if it's near me. Going to be near Bern.
Cheers Dave

CH68
7 posts
24 Jun 2017 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dave,

I live at the Lake of Zurich and that is definitely not a good surf spot, especially bad in summer time. Unfortunately, I will be in a vacation soon. Since you will be in the Bern area, there is one of the best Swiss surf spots nearby at the Lake of Murten - but in comparison with spots at the sea there is often only light(est) wind :-( The surf center is called Bise Noire and you can rent your gear there: www.bisenoire.ch . You find the weather/wind forecast here: www.windfinder.com/forecast/murtensee_murten . I wish you a nice stay in Switzerland and good wind!

Cheers,
Chris

LeeD
3939 posts
26 Jun 2017 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Also, heavier sailors can bend the mast just by leaning back, so less downhaul on the sail is needed, so get the benefits of a tigher leech and more power to get planing.
Of course, when set for light breezes, if the winds come up, you would add more downhaul.

BSN101
WA, 2249 posts
26 Jun 2017 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CH68 said..
Hi Dave,

I live at the Lake of Zurich and that is definitely not a good surf spot, especially bad in summer time. Unfortunately, I will be in a vacation soon. Since you will be in the Bern area, there is one of the best Swiss surf spots nearby at the Lake of Murten - but in comparison with spots at the sea there is often only light(est) wind :-( The surf center is called Bise Noire and you can rent your gear there: www.bisenoire.ch . You find the weather/wind forecast here: www.windfinder.com/forecast/murtensee_murten . I wish you a nice stay in Switzerland and good wind!

Cheers,
Chris

Cheers Chris. Just in holland and saw rentals in Giethoorn on the lake. Looked like a nice location with about 12 out. Mostly learners. I will see how family time plays out and I hope to get a glimps of some more sailing. Bugger that I forgot my GPS for an OS session to post while my team is suffering winter

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Sails for heavyweights in lightwind conditions" started by CH68