Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Severe mast extension rubber rings

Created by gmitton > 9 months ago, 29 Oct 2015
gmitton
SA, 1242 posts
29 Oct 2015 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

i have 4 extensions and all my rings are gone. Can't get replacements from severe.. Went to get some from Bunnings and no joy. Tried plumbing supplies and no luck. Just can't find these anywhere. Got some prints but they o not stretch enough.

jn1
SA, 1731 posts
29 Oct 2015 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gmitton said..
i have 4 extensions and all my rings are gone. Can't get replacements from severe.. Went to get some from Bunnings and no joy. Tried plumbing supplies and no luck. Just can't find these anywhere. Got some prints but they o not stretch enough.

Ludowici Sealing Solutions.
T: 13 1858
F: 08 8125 5880
sa@ludowiciseals.com.au
73 South Terrace
Wingfield 5013

They do cash sales. Take your sample and they will match it. Will be less than a dollar for half a dozen.

Mort67
TAS, 244 posts
29 Oct 2015 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Only guessing, but would a bicycle inner tube of the right diameter do it? If you're talking about the rings that hold the adjustable pins?

PKenny
SA, 199 posts
29 Oct 2015 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Check the bottom end of your luff sleeves. The little buggers are usually hiding in there.

Trousers
SA, 556 posts
30 Oct 2015 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

When I got my first Severne extension a week or so ago I immediately wondered about those rubber rings and their durability.

Please let us know how you go, and if/where you found some replacements.

sonny2727
VIC, 118 posts
30 Oct 2015 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

mmm...disappointing from severne if they don't have replacement rings ...it's crazy if I have to wonder around Bunnings or cut bicycle tubes etc .

racerX
NSW, 362 posts
30 Oct 2015 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

For the RDM extension I ordered a life supply of 40mm x 2mm nitrile o rings of ebay,

cheap as chips

GrumpySmurf
WA, 230 posts
30 Oct 2015 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

I tried quite a few O-Rings and found that they never stayed on for long.

So I checked under the kitchen sink (you know where the missus keeps a bunch of rubber bands) and found the flat rubber bands to be quite good. The ones I used were purple ones and I think used for bunches of veges from Woolies/Coles.

Another good one is also the rubber band which holds the inner tubes of Continental 700C inner tubes when they come new in the box (ask a Lycra mate for them).

Vince68
WA, 646 posts
30 Oct 2015 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Please excuse my ignorance but what are the ‘o’ rings for? None of my kit (all second hand) has had or come with an ‘o’ ring. I’m thinking it is to stop sand ingress between the mast base/extension and mast…No?

John340
QLD, 1926 posts
30 Oct 2015 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

I've been using 2 solutions:
- electrical tape (which you have to remove and replace when changing extension lengths for different sails) and
- heavy duty rubber bands
Both work well

NSWWA
NSW, 198 posts
31 Oct 2015 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

We have quite a few people using these extensions in our association and have found that once the band is broken the best replacement is the bike inner tube from a racing bike. Go and see a bike store and they'll most likely give you and old one. You'll be able to cut thousands from it but you'll only need 1 or 2, most people report they last for ages...Seasons even.

Vince68
WA, 646 posts
31 Oct 2015 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Can someone please tell me what the rubber "O" ring is used for. Never seen this. All my stuff is second hand so might had already been missing

Roy
VIC, 88 posts
31 Oct 2015 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Vpar, Severne brand use an o-ring to hold the adjusting collar in place. If your extension isn't Severne you don't need to worry.

Vince68
WA, 646 posts
31 Oct 2015 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roy said..
Vpar, Severne brand use an o-ring to hold the adjusting collar in place. If your extension isn't Severne you don't need to worry.

Thanks Roy. I have a NP

beer pig
WA, 111 posts
31 Oct 2015 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

What about an inner tube of a racing bike the pedal type even better a thorn prof inner tube there alot thicker

legless
NSW, 794 posts
31 Oct 2015 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Rubber O-Ring 2 x 38 mm. to fit adjustable collar Unifiber RDM HD mast extension

www.unifiber.net/2015/gear/spare-parts/spare-parts-extensions/o-ring-2-x-38-mm-adjustable-collar-rdm-hd-extension/

andysails
QLD, 79 posts
2 Nov 2015 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the Severne rubber rings for their HD extensions. PM me for details.

gmitton
SA, 1242 posts
19 Nov 2015 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to everyone. Severne dude got in touch proactively after seeing the post and I was sent some quite promptly. Good after sales service. Hopefully a slightly more robust solution will come out soon. I am very happy with the extension except for the O-rings wearing out!

murkeywater
WA, 8 posts
19 Nov 2015 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vpar said..

Roy said..

Thanks Roy. I have a NP

thank god I have a Chinook, rubber rings WT?!, can't believe anyone would buy one, you seriously want to hold your stuff together with an incy bincy bit of rubber ring/band? thought that style went out in the 90's?

Mark _australia
WA, 18970 posts
19 Nov 2015 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
murkeywater said..

vpar said..

Roy said..

Thanks Roy. I have a NP

thank god I have a Chinook, rubber rings WT?!, can't believe anyone would buy one, you seriously want to hold your stuff together with an incy bincy bit of rubber ring/band? thought that style went out in the 90's?

You obviously have not adjusted a Severne extension - compared to others.

And it is nothing like the 90's ones that used a rubber retainer.

It is probably the most clever design in extension adjustment ever. And no, I have no affiliation with them. But will gladly accept sponsorship

Zachery
579 posts
19 Nov 2015 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Dont forget by design they work without the rubber ring when you rig. It's only when u unrig that u have to watch for the metal collar slipping off!!!It certainly hasnt stopped me from sailing without one!!

gmitton
SA, 1242 posts
20 Nov 2015 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

The last two posts are right. The rubber rings add convenience when adjusting. They are not a loaded component. They are a very good extension apart from this minor feature.

Ezric
NSW, 177 posts
20 Nov 2015 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Gmitton, great thread, how long did the rings last? I have two Severne extensions and have been wondering about getting some spares. I agree they are fantastic extensions and it is so easy to adjust with this system.

I do have to admit it was a bit disappointing when asking about spare rubber rings(when I bought the extensions), to be told to go to a plumbing supply place which after reading above posts it seems those rubber rings don't work so well anyways as they are thicker. I think the tyre tube idea sounds like a real good solution as the rubber would be thin just like the Severne rings.

PKenny
SA, 199 posts
20 Nov 2015 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

I have about 2551 spare ones now thanks to the local bike shop donating a racing bike tyre tube to the windsurfing cause.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Severe mast extension rubber rings" started by gmitton