Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Severn Fox 105 fin

Created by nerdycross 1 month ago, 20 May 2019
nerdycross
149 posts
20 May 2019 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone got experience of using smaller none standard fin (poss 34 H1) on the fox 105 for 6mtr and below for strong winds. The stock fin is good but gets too lively if I try higher winds I'm trying to open the wind envelop to 5mtr stuff on the board. I can take smaller board out but be good to stay on the 105 for as long as poss.
Any help be brill.

forceten
693 posts
20 May 2019 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Y8 abrns are bril

nerdycross
149 posts
20 May 2019 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..
Y8 abrns are bril

?

ka43
NSW, 2836 posts
20 May 2019 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Pissed?? Drugs??

olskool
QLD, 1367 posts
20 May 2019 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

^Trump supporter....

nerdycross
149 posts
20 May 2019 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Just a knob head

forceten
693 posts
20 May 2019 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nerdycross said..
Has anyone got experience of using smaller none standard fin (poss 34 H1) on the fox 105 for 6mtr and below for strong winds. The stock fin is good but gets too lively if I try higher winds I'm trying to open the wind envelop to 5mtr stuff on the board. I can take smaller board out but be good to stay on the 105 for as long as poss.
Any help be brill.

The standard fin, what size is it? All the info is symptomatic that the fin is too large. This applies no matter what the board is. Changing size, down, it's length with it's area a consideration will calm the board down some, it's built for a range of sails that translates into wind strength. Don't expect a fin to adapt it to a 85 liter board.
Your opinion on strong winds will differ from others.
the commonly used abbreviation for meter, as 6 meter sail is 6m.
Brill... is brilliant ?

forceten
693 posts
20 May 2019 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
^Trump supporter....

May not clear anything up. I voted , and not for the 2 primary candidates .But a Mormon , a former CIA officer , his running mate was a female. My thoughts were they were as qualified as anyone.

forceten
693 posts
20 May 2019 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..
Y8 abrns are bril

Your abbreviations are brilliant

forceten
693 posts
20 May 2019 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nerdycross said..
Just a knob head

Oh, you mean
JAKH

nerdycross
149 posts
20 May 2019 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

nerdycross said..
Just a knob head

Oh, you mean
JAKH

Yep

nerdycross
149 posts
20 May 2019 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

nerdycross said..
Just a knob head

Oh, you mean
JAKH

Yep
Select to expand quote
forceten said..

nerdycross said..
Just a knob head

Oh, you mean
JAKH

Yep

nerdycross
149 posts
20 May 2019 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yep

olskool
QLD, 1367 posts
21 May 2019 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
forceten said..

forceten said..
Y8 abrns are bril

Y8, WTF M8??

forceten
693 posts
21 May 2019 12:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..

forceten said..

forceten said..
Y8 abrns are bril

Y8, WTF M8??

I suppose I deserve this. Using , what is called lack of humor, turning into sarcasm to belittle someone's lack of abbreviation knowledge.

maybe you can help him with his fin size question as I did or not

olskool
QLD, 1367 posts
21 May 2019 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Forceten OP asked for 'experience'. We all know the theory of uding a smaller fin. I have MFC H1 fin but not that small.
Abbvn- Your = Yr.
No??

Tardy
2980 posts
21 May 2019 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

you guys are fun e .who's trump .or is that short for trumpeter ? it s a fish ? right ...

nerdy ,a lot of slalom boards you buy now a days ,don't come with a fin ,eg.. patrik ,exocet ,etc

yes ,is your answer ..I have a 105 rocket ,34 fin was supplies .but use a 32 or 30 if it howls ..with a 5,5 or 5,0 .also depends on the area of the fin .

i don't like the original fin that came with the board ,so i use a 34 select free ride .
another example, i use a 40 on my 115 patrik with the 7,5
then with the 6,5 i use the 36 .or a 26 delta

keeping your board down and in control is important .
if you have too much lift and fighting your board drop the fin down in size .

forceten
693 posts
21 May 2019 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Umm, it's been pointed out experience, is what the OP is looking for, now I assume that means with a Severne Fox.
Reality check, the board shows a 36cm fin supplied.
the MFC H1 is a racing, or dedicated slalom fin. The other rider specifics are omitted, weight, level, et cetera.

Tardys post aside from specifics on fin type and size, which is a rider preference, based on his level, water conditions ,
weight bla bla Says if fighting your board size down the fin. This as he mentioned includes length and area.

nerdycross
149 posts
22 May 2019 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
you guys are fun e .who's trump .or is that short for trumpeter ? it s a fish ? right ...

nerdy ,a lot of slalom boards you buy now a days ,don't come with a fin ,eg.. patrik ,exocet ,etc

yes ,is your answer ..I have a 105 rocket ,34 fin was supplies .but use a 32 or 30 if it howls ..with a 5,5 or 5,0 .also depends on the area of the fin .

i don't like the original fin that came with the board ,so i use a 34 select free ride .
another example, i use a 40 on my 115 patrik with the 7,5
then with the 6,5 i use the 36 .or a 26 delta

keeping your board down and in control is important .
if you have too much lift and fighting your board drop the fin down in size .

Thanks for your help Tardy my fox 105 came with a 36 and works fine with 7and 6mtr but bit lively in 5mtr wind but mabe I should go down to a 32 and not 34 to keep board under control with 5mtr. Don't have any outher fox 105 round our way so that's why was asking for advice on the fox 105 . I will probably go for a MFC H1

GazMan
WA, 702 posts
23 May 2019 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Would suggest flicking an email to Board Crazy Brisbane as had a chat with the guys re Foxes when visited the shop a couple of months back and they appear to be pretty familiar with the boards, as well as being very helpful people too.

Also Revolution Boardsports in Osborne Park WA are the shop-front for Starboard & Severne in WA and would likely know their stuff.

nerdycross
149 posts
23 May 2019 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Gazman will do.

Basher
61 posts
30 May 2019 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Just to stick in an extra view, at this late stage:
The 105 is 65 wide and is listed as being supplied with a 36cms fin to match a sail range of 6.0 to 7.8, and that tells us immediately that the board would be tail-walking in 5m weather.

But 65 wide is not that extreme for windy weather and the board should easily be capable of handling smaller rigs, with an appropriate fin size, as long as the water isn't too choppy. There's a difference between being 'over-boarded' and being 'over-finned'.
Over-boarded is where you have too much float under your feet for the water conditions. Over-finned is where the excessive fin lift at the board back end is taking control out of your hands, like the tail wagging the dog. When a board starts to tail walk, your first remedy is to shift the mast foot forwards a bit. (As that reduces the rig torque load on the fin, whilst the change of stance means more body weight on the board tail.)
But if you want to use a 5m or 5.6 rig on this board then I'd be thinking of a 30cms fin or less.

My advice would be to borrow any old powerbox fin and just give it a go before splashing out on a new one. To be honest, I'd be matching a 6m rig with a 30 or 32cms fin, for better turning.

I note too, that the board dimensions are not far off those of a large freestyle board - and for those 5/5.6 sail sizes some people might recommend a 22cms fin, but of course your ability to use small fins depends on your sailing stance and on how heavy you are on your back foot.

But these are the sorts of things to think about when trying to extend the wind range of any board. Many freeride boards are supplied with fins that are 'generous' in size, to help those still learning. It's then ironic that an over-size fin can make any board a pig to gybe.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Severn Fox 105 fin" started by nerdycross