Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Severne 2018 S1 pro

Created by justinstuart > 9 months ago, 10 Nov 2017
justinstuart
WA, 42 posts
10 Nov 2017 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Been lucky to get some fun sessions on the new 2018 S1 pros, and tried the 5.2, 4.8, 4.4, 4.0. Got a set of 3.6/4.0/4.4/4.8/5.2. I share these with my girlfriend, I'm 68kg and she's maybe 58kg (this could get me in trouble!). It works really well for us with the sail sizes, and we both feel pretty much the same way about the sails, having used them the last few years.

We did not have the 2017 sails, so can only compare to the 2016.

Firstly, the sails look awesome! Love that new gear motivation too, and that first bottom turn looking through the super clear window
The sails are physically light, and on the water they also feel super light, balanced and ridiculously efficient. Put in a tack (often my best move) and the sail just stands up on it's own - you can let go during the transition round the mast and it just effortlessly stays there.
Sailing along the sail is exciting to use, it feels alive. There is always pressure in the back hand, but you don't have to hang onto it or fight against it - the power is there when you need it.
On the wave the sail is super easy to control throughout the turn. So easy to control into the bottom turn with the sail going really light in the hands, but then as you look up the face and start to open up, the leach reacts instantly to allow you to drive at the lip, but still giving easy control.

The main differences I can see and feel compared to the 2016 model are:
The clew is lower (I think the boom cutout on the luff for the boom reaches lower too).
They have a huge tuning range this year. If I set the sail as I would my 2016 model (loose leach across 1/3 of top panel maximum), it would have more bottom end power/grunt. Interestingly, the 2018 sails also seem to like more downhaul and outhaul tension too, giving them better top end! Therefore with the new sails, you can get away with hanging onto one sail longer and tune for the changes in the conditions more than before
Physically picking up the sails they feel a little heavier (still way lighter than anything else on the market, the 5.6 weighing in at 2.7kg, lighter than most 3.6 sails....), and when rolling the sail it feels thicker. This is a positive point as it means the sails must be stronger with more of the special Hyperspider fibres and maybe an increase in film thickness?

These sails are not going to help me to "bulk up", but I am sure the efficiency and light weight allows me to stay on the water for longer

Manawa
54 posts
22 Mar 2018 2:04AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I am new in the forum, can you give me some tips about the right trim? (I've S1 pro 2018 3.6-4.0-4.4 and 5.0 Blade pro)
Thanks in advance

justinstuart
WA, 42 posts
23 Mar 2018 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Manawa said..
Hi, I am new in the forum, can you give me some tips about the right trim? (I've S1 pro 2018 3.6-4.0-4.4 and 5.0 Blade pro)
Thanks in advance

Hi Manawa, nice choice! These Severne sails rig amazingly on the correct mast and printed measurements. You can of course play around a bit, and these new S1's do have way more tuning than previous models. I reckon the printed measurements give you the best settings for using the sails well powered up, and the sails feel very stable and controllable. If the wind is a bit light or I want to get away with a smaller sail, I let maybe 1cm off the down haul, tightening the leach and giving the potential of a fuller foil, then adjust the outhaul to give the desired fullness. With the leach tighter the sail gives more explosive wave riding, but a little less easy to control jumping!

Im still loving my S1's, I hope you're getting some good sessions in on the new gear

Manawa
54 posts
23 Mar 2018 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again, I love my new sails, I total agree with your tips, much appreciated, I follow you on Instangram, very nice piscs.
Ciao

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Severne 2018 S1 pro" started by justinstuart