Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Shark vs Gecko, Tabou Std vs Wide, AtomIQ, etc...

Created by Obelix > 9 months ago, 4 Aug 2015
Obelix
WA, 838 posts
16 Aug 2015 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Weight...feels lite. Maybe around 8kg.
Don't have a matching fin. 36cm weed will have to work. So will 7.5m...

Btw, I am a perpetual intermediate, so my evaluation won't mean much.

joe windsurf
1459 posts
17 Aug 2015 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

actually your evaluation will mean a LOT !!

- you can compare it to your Guru
- there are many other perpetual intermediates out there who will value your assessment !!

so, please tell us initial reactions, first run, etc ... :)

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6573 posts
18 Aug 2015 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

>>>Sboardcrazy...I need to convince my partner that I really DO need a speed board.

My boards just appear on the pile of other boards...
Some months down the track it gets spotted "when did you buy this board?" - "... oh, that old thing, ..last year..I told you? ...remember?...

Joking aside, I took her to Windsurfing Perth to pick a rashie for her, and after "splashing" $45 on her, I spotted this Guru and left the shop with it on the roof...
She never complained.

The brakes are with me. $2500 for a brand new board is a lot of money, so it has to be the board I would use a lot.

re: chubby
I like to look of Exocet ...like looking at the mirror

My problem is lack of space to store them- any new one is very obvious!Talked him around - he's even contributing a fair bit towards it as birthday gift.. Wonder if we'll ever get any wind..

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6573 posts
18 Aug 2015 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

So the Tabou Rocket Wide 138 ready, the Guru advertised for sale....

Now where is that @#$% wind...

Lucky your in Wa as I think I am going to really ... the wind buying a speed board..

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
21 Aug 2015 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

My first outing on the new board yesterday.
Tabou Rocket Wide 138, Severne Turbo 7.5m and JP 36cm Weed.
I’m 103kg (should be 93 ) – 193cm. Add the wet suit, harness, impact west, shoes, gloves… heavy…

Conditions:
Pinnaroo Point. Open ocean, only marginal winds (more yellow than green on Seabreeze) but still quite choppy.

Disclaimer: This is not a board review. I'll leave that to the experts. Only summarising my experience for other "intermediates".

So I'm on the board with not enough wind to get it going.
The board moves too much around the mast, has a tendency to turn nose into the wind and requires a lot of correction.
Wishing for more of everything. More fin, more sail, more wind, more board... the only thing I needed less was the chop

Stop, release the outhaul – OK works now - just.
No problems getting into the straps.
Pushing the edge, while the board moves through the chop at 16-17 knots speed. A lot of ankle work.
(It was a weird feeling, having the straps so far out – definitelly not an “intermediate” thing.)

Glides through the lulls, no stopping - nice.
Picked up the speed a bit – around 20 knots. The boards is very soft in the chop, and does not flap around.
Going over the wave crests and stays down. A relief...

Upwind, - not much luck. I think it requires more wind, more fin, less chop.
Gybing... not a chance in that chop with the board so wide.

Back to the shore, getting too close to the shore break, press on the rear and the rail to stop it… not quite, almost ended up on shore.

Summary of impressions:

Good
It planed sooner than the Rocket (Guru) and stayed on the plane longer. It would work even better with a 46cm G10 dagger.
Getting into straps was not a problem.
The board was, a sort of, gliding over each wave, even after I picked up the speed. Very soft in chop.
The acceleration from 18 knots to 23 knots was instantaneous, and it felt very promising for the flatter water.

Concerns
In sub-planing conditions, the board felt unusual so wide, and yet short. It moved around the mast a lot and constantly demanded correction.
The rig felt too big for the length and felt too far forward, and yet too far towards the back...Weird... Can’t imagine even bigger gear. 7m would work better.
The board didn’t feel “ like 15 litres more in volume due to the width” - if anything it felt smaller, fidgety.
Needs “Brakes”
Uphauling… probably not, but who cares, I never carry the uphaul rope anyway.

Neutral
Ocean - it, a kind of, works… Soft in chop, yes, glides and does not flap , yes... yet I don’t’ think it was really meant for these conditions.

So, all the goods are good, and all the concerns can be addressed by improving the skills and learning to deal with the straps so far out.

The board is in the car, and I’ll try it on the river this afternoon. I believe it will work much better on the river. More to come.

elmo
WA, 7913 posts
21 Aug 2015 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

you've wet the babies head, nice one, maybe now we can have some breeze

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
21 Aug 2015 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
elmo said..
you've wet the babies head, nice one, maybe now we can have some breeze

Let me jinx this arvo's session for you

Tricky Dicky
NSW, 49 posts
21 Aug 2015 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a new. AtomIQ 110 about 6 weeks ago. I ummed and ahhed for ages, spoke to heaps of sailors, read all the reviews. In the shop I lined up the Gecko, JP Magic Ride and the AtomIQ. based on my judgement and armed with the Intel on the reviews, I walked away with the Starboard. So I sail a good mix of flat, estuary and and open water on the south coast of NSW, and Botany Bay. I use a mix of freeride and race sails ( Sailworks Revo, Retro and NX). To date I've only sailed flat water on the AtomIQ with the NX 7.0, Retro 7.5 and 5.5, and I have to say I'm absolutely stoked!!!! The board is unreal, first time out in sub 15 kn, planing on the 7.5, clocking 22 Kn board speed on the gps, second time 29 Kn with the 5.5!!!, and most recently 30Kn with the 7.0 NX. This is a seriously adaptable board!

So so now I'm waiting to try it out in coastal waters in mild swell, but so far I'm confident that it will perform. Which is good, cos I want to use it at Lancelin for the classic in January!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this board and sail type combo, my other boards are isonics, JP single fin thrusters and Fanatics, and I made this purchase to replace the Fanatic, which my son has adopted.

I love this board, same as I love my Retro sails. So quick, so easy. This is what sailing is about!!

Tricky Dicky
NSW, 49 posts
21 Aug 2015 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

I should have added, the Atom gybes just fine, handles chop easily, it wasn't all about straight line speed. I'll see how the alphas look when the conditions are suitable!!

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
21 Aug 2015 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Just arrived back from the river...

A bit easier riding than the ocean, but I could not figure out how to turn or stop this board. Not sure what the board is meant for.
Totally confused

Glad it works for other people, but does not work for me, so I'll sell it.
Bought it of a friend who gave me a discount, so I hope to recover what I paid for, so the lesson may not be too harsh...

joe windsurf
1459 posts
22 Aug 2015 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

i will try to remain positive (am a heavyweight skeptic of these boards)
check this ... yes, some intermediate riders have different "issues" - they suggest patience and technique

www.windsurf.co.uk/130l-freeride-board-test-2015/

"some intermediate riders were really struggling to get these wide thin boards to release onto the plane. Such is the width in the mid-section and shoulders of the boards that they really need to be stuffed deep off the wind to rise up with any purpose. And the big issue is that this is a principle that instantly conflicts with the intermediate rider’s inner battle to maintain ground upwind. The other more predictable problem was moving out into the straps, with their position being right out on the rail – a leap too far for some who tried.However, with some gentle tuition and technique adjustments to get their heads around this new style of riding, they quickly realized the benefits and rewards of this wide-thin generation."

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6573 posts
23 Aug 2015 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..
Just arrived back from the river...

A bit easier riding than the ocean, but I could not figure out how to turn or stop this board. Not sure what the board is meant for.
Totally confused

Glad it works for other people, but does not work for me, so I'll sell it.
Bought it of a friend who gave me a discount, so I hope to recover what I paid for, so the lesson may not be too harsh...

Probably a bit soon to decide .Give it a bit longer..I had trouble with my Excocet at first .I think I had the mastfoot too far forward and that resulted in the nose sinking..put it back more and much better! ( A bit behind halfway I think). Mine is 55 over my weight though and I use it for lightwinds.
Another experienced sailor had a go and had trouble gybing it at first but it just took a different technique. I find it gybes really easily.

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
23 Aug 2015 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys.

After re-thinking the experience...

The straps outside was a new thing for me, but it wasn't painful. It worked fine.
The board gets on the plane easy, and stays on. So that's not a problem either. If anything, it wants to keep going. Even when I try to stop it.

So I figured the purpose of the board is to sail in flat water and low winds for long time.
And for that, I should have listened to Azymuth, and gone 15-20L up.

I think the boards either work for you or not.

Some years ago I had a Fanatic Shark 160 and loved it. Sold it to go smaller (still kicking myself for that) and bought a Carve 131.
The board had a great reputation, and yet I could not work it out. Had to sell it.
Then I bought an F2 XTC 115, and everything was great again.

The Futura 101 was great, but rarely used. Maybe I should aim for a 140L+ Futura instead...

This Rocket Wide is for me a bit like that Carve. A great board, but a mismatch for me.
May try to swap it for a Futura of similar size...or Shark 150 of the same age.

John340
QLD, 1944 posts
24 Aug 2015 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

If anything, it wants to keep going. Even when I try to stop it.

This is a problem we would all like to have.

Sue is right, don't make a rash decision, give it a good go before changing the board. Different boards require different techniques to turn and hence slow down, because turning onto the wind is the easiest way to slow down. Often, when you master a new technique it provides opportunity for more enjoyment. I have not sailed the rocket so can't provide any practical advise. I suggest you speak with someone like Elmo, who has the board and really likes it.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6573 posts
24 Aug 2015 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

Obelix said..

If anything, it wants to keep going. Even when I try to stop it.

This is a problem we would all like to have.

Sue is right, don't make a rash decision, give it a good go before changing the board. Different boards require different techniques to turn and hence slow down, because turning onto the wind is the easiest way to slow down. Often, when you master a new technique it provides opportunity for more enjoyment. I have not sailed the rocket so can't provide any practical advise. I suggest you speak with someone like Elmo, who has the board and really likes it.

Especially with the lack of wind we've had lately!

hansvanleen
5 posts
7 Sep 2015 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Elmo

Have you already tried different fins, I have the Tabou rocket wide LTD 128 2016. I'm struggling with getting in plane but perhaps with a little bigger fin 48 or 49 helps I hope.
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers Hans

elmo
WA, 7913 posts
7 Sep 2015 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Hans

on the 128L I use a 45cm Carbon version of JP supersport fin

If I use a weedy I've got a 46cm Pepe weed and 36cm JP weed, still yet to rebox my 42cm JP weed to PB, I'll get around to it one day.

I tend to "bounce" the board out of the water to get on the plane
Alternatively bit of weight on the back foot on leeward side and point downwind

hansvanleen
5 posts
8 Sep 2015 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Elmo thanks for the information, I have been only 2 times on the water once with to much and the last time not enough wind. My sail quiver is North sails S type 6.6, 7.3 and 8.4. I weigh 81 kg.
Whats your postion for your mastfoot?

Cheers

elmo
WA, 7913 posts
8 Sep 2015 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

I use a NP mast base (for size reference)

The back of the mast base leaves about 8mm of mast track exposed in front of the rectangular mast track entry point

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
8 Sep 2015 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Affter spending several hours in underpowered conditions at Pelican Point last Saturday (all "yellow arrows" on th egraph), I learnt to appreciate the fact that I was the only one planing and going accross the river.

Once planing, it wants to keep going, and it was only on 7.5m and 36cm JP Weed.
So figuring out what the board is actually for

Also managed to turn it a few times following John's (John340) advice on where to put my back foot in the turn.
It's slowly growing on me...

May set myself up with an 8.6m too.

hansvanleen
5 posts
8 Sep 2015 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
elmo said..
I use a NP mast base (for size reference)

The back of the mast base leaves about 8mm of mast track exposed in front of the rectangular mast track entry point

I think when the mast base is to far back what Obelix says he wants to turn round the mast he wants to turn in de wind and not downwind, my mast track and then the Centre is 1/2 inch in front of the middle.
Do you think it has to go more back or explain where the middle of your mast track is that we understood each other :)

And what is the smallest sail you use?

elmo
WA, 7913 posts
8 Sep 2015 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Realistically the center is probably not far from where you sit your's

I use NP RS racing sails on the 128L smallest I've used is 6.4m up to 9.5m so the mast foot pressure may be more than the S type

Myself (being a lazy basket) I rig to be powered as I detest chugging and prefer being overpowered more than underpowered, so working through brute force and ignorance I may not be the most efficient sailor out there.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6573 posts
9 Sep 2015 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

Affter spending several hours in underpowered conditions at Pelican Point last Saturday (all "yellow arrows" on th egraph), I learnt to appreciate the fact that I was the only one planing and going accross the river.

Once planing, it wants to keep going, and it was only on 7.5m and 36cm JP Weed.
So figuring out what the board is actually for

Also managed to turn it a few times following John's (John340) advice on where to put my back foot in the turn.
It's slowly growing on me...

May set myself up with an 8.6m too.

Better take it off the buy & sell then!

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
9 Sep 2015 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Hey, I paid $14 for that advertisment, took photos...don't want all that money and efforts to go to waste

spanishwog
QLD, 89 posts
20 Sep 2015 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Thought I would add to the post after my days sailing today.

I am 73 kg's and I have a 95 litre ray (few years old) which I do enjoy with freeride sails 4.7, 5.5 and 6.4. The ray with those sails get me coverage from about 15 to 25 or so knots. I have tried a bigger sail on it in lighter conditions but it does not carry it well. Also when the wind drops out it is not big enough for me to uphaul.

I have been looking for a free ride board that I can get happening from the 10 to 15 knot range. I looked at a number of boards and sailed an older 110 litre hawk which I was happy with but it was not in ideal condition. I would have bought a new one (113L) but apparently school fees are more important. I had a go at a Gecko 105 bamboo about 6 months ago. It was in good nick and at the right price so thought it may just be the ticket so added it to my shed.

Unfortunately the wind over the winter months has not been ideal so today was the first day that I got to give it a good go. I had a 7.2 freeride on it in about 12 to 16 knots. After a little trial and error with set up I had a great session. Two things surprised me in comparison to the Ray - 1. how far off the wind I had to go to get it on the plane - could have been due to lighter breeze (but as soon as I bared off out of the water it popped - and I could point up easily) and 2. How much softer under foot it was compared to the Ray.

One other advantage is that compared to the ray it is easy to gybe - still need to be planing but with the extra width it is so much more stable.

All in all I am very happy. This was about giving me a board to give me more time on the water and it has done just that. I would not have gone out on the Ray today so the Gecko has given me an extra day of sailing already.
cheers

Tardy
3016 posts
21 Sep 2015 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

Hey, I paid $14 for that advertisment, took photos...don't want all that money and efforts to go to waste

If you've still got them for sale in ..November when I'm over ,I would like to look at the tabou .( looks good )
replacing my old 150 mistral vision ..it was one of the widest boards made in that time ..
now they've really chubbed out.have brought a few recent boards ..wide is the only way to go ,
I'm on the heavy side at 96 kg .the board I use most is a 124 litre syncro freemove board .
for a big board at 68 wide 250 long ,it jumps ,loves the ocean .and friendly on the ankles .it sits down low in the water.
As said in this forum.moveing the mast track around makes a load of difference .up ,for big sails ,back for small.plus fin changes.
put the mast base in the middle to start ,then play around .

up hailing is a breeze on wide boards .and they ride better .( free ride)even on a 115 litre
as soon as it hits 16 knot ..big boards out little boards in .100 litres
if I lived over west I wouldn't own any thing over 130 litre ..just bigger sails if needed .the width is a huge bonus.
to modern day boards.

safety bay and shark bay ...they ,rock.

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
21 Sep 2015 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

>>if I lived over west I wouldn't own any thing over 130 litre
Its' a bit of a hype that the "Seabreeze Arrows are always greener in WA"
We have plenty of "yellow arrows" days where large boards are handy.

I sold the board yesterday. Still selling 135L Guru, and once sold, I will go larger.

After this experience I learned to appreciate the advantages of the wide chubby, however, also understand the shortcommings.
A bit more length and a bit less width for me.

Looking for a Futura 140L+.
..and guess what, the latest Futura has gone chubby too...
so it will need to be 2-3 years old.

Tardy
3016 posts
22 Sep 2015 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
I know where your coming from ..boards are getting so wide now..I have a friend who also like the length in his boards ..he kicks my arse most days .
It's when the wind drops a little ,is where I catch him .if its a light board day I would maybe go 145 litre .as jumping from your 138 to a 140 ,might not be enough of a jump for you .

I didn't really think it out when I said I wouldn't have a board over 130 as I haven't spent a winter there yet .so of course you get your light wind days . plenty big boards over east ,where light days out weigh the strong ...I had a go on a 145 JP ..not so long ago ..I liked it .maybe worth a look.

>>if I lived over west I wouldn't own any thing over 130 litre
Its' a bit of a hype that the "Seabreeze Arrows are always greener in WA"
We have plenty of "yellow arrows" days where large boards are handy.

I sold the board yesterday. Still selling 135L Guru, and once sold, I will go larger.

After this experience I learned to appreciate the advantages of the wide chubby, however, also understand the shortcommings.
A bit more length and a bit less width for me.

Looking for a Futura 140L+.
..and guess what, the latest Futura has gone chubby too...
so it will need to be 2-3 years old.

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
22 Sep 2015 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
I would maybe go 145 litre .as jumping from your 138 to a 140 ,might not be enough of a jump for you .

I had a go on a 145 JP ..not so long ago ..I liked it .maybe worth a look.

Thanks for the feedback Tardy.
Futuras...the size will depend on the model year. They made 141 to 144. Then 10L up. But the 150L+ models are again getting very wide.

I like Futuras, but not really insistent on it.

Which JP 145L model was that?

Tardy
3016 posts
22 Sep 2015 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

2014 ..145 x cite ..slightly longer easy to ride ..had a 8,0 .on it .
It wasn't real fast .but you could relax on it .
I also like the look of the Futura .i think they are faster .

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Shark vs Gecko, Tabou Std vs Wide, AtomIQ, etc..." started by Obelix