Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Tabou Coolrider 190

Created by paddymac > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2013
paddymac
WA, 916 posts
19 Oct 2013 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

www.tabou-boards.com/boards/2013/boards/coolrider

I wanted a do anything board, lightwind plodding, take the kids out, teach the kids, let fiends have a try, teach my wife, explore etc

I've been really happy with the Coolrider. At 80 wide it's plenty stable for a kids platform. 190L gives it enough float for me and a couple of small kids. The full EVA means it's very kid friendly.

I've used sails from 1.0 to 9.6.

The 9.6 was great in gusty light winter winds and I was surprised to pull a 24kt and feel completely in control compared to the Formula where I'd be starting to push the limits. I used the Tabou 38 fin for this.

It handles open water fine, I've had a few offshore outings off Dunsborough where you really need a centreboard to get back in. The deep double concaves give plenty of comfort. Used 7.5 and 6.4 for these outings. I use a Naish 29 chunky wave fin which is good in the shallows and weed.

It's also fun with a no-cam sail for old school freestyle.

The centreboard works well and is easy to adjust on the move. Fully retracts for planning conditions.

For holiday trips down south this board + a 102 FSW, 6.4, 5.6 sails,1 mast and boom and I've got a big range of conditions sorted.

For a do anything, family friendly board, this is a good option.

paddymac
WA, 916 posts
6 Dec 2013 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Took this board up to Geraldton last weekend, thought I might try it as a SUP as it is similar dimensions. Thought why paddle when you can sail and chucked a 6.4m on it. Wind picked up gradually and next thing you know I'm jumping shoulder high waves and riding them back in. Too windy for SUPs, not windy enough for a short board... hah, I was like a pig in .... Who'd have thought it, but it was heaps of fun.

This is one versatile board.

Dean 424
NSW, 439 posts
7 Dec 2013 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

How is the board standing up in the surf break. I had a small crack in the rail of my Sup after taking it out in shoulder high surf and falling in the break. I did put a mast protector on as well. So I longer WindSup it which is a pity. I take it all that flotation and a rig getting pushed around in the surf, puts a lot of load on a board when it won't sink like a true wave board.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Tabou Coolrider 190" started by paddymac