Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Thommen Fast X 127 / Tabou Rocket 125

Created by Keys SUP > 9 months ago, 4 Mar 2013
Keys SUP
30 posts
4 Mar 2013 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone try the 2011-2013 Thommen Fast X 127? I am 90 kg and have a 2000 Protech Z27 Mikes Lab Formula board, 131lt, for light wind, sails 7.0 Severne Gator and 8.3 Aerotech Cuben Rapid Fire, and barley use it. Thought I would start using it again and rermembered why I stop using race gear. As a big guy I want a board that will plan fast as possible and glide through the lulls and be a little looser them sharp rails all around. All the reviews I can find are for the Thommen Fast X 117 and these features seem not to be present. The 127 Fast X has the same measurements and some of the same bottom shape as the Tabou Rockect 127. What are you 90kg people using for light wind boards. Seems like Fanatic and Jp X Cite get good reviews too but not as good as the Tabou Rocket for fast planning and gliding through lulls. Any help would be appreciated. I have Tuttle fins for the Protech and my Powerbox stops at 40cm so might need a 43cm if going Powerbox.

hardie
WA, 3991 posts
4 Mar 2013 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Keys SUP said...

Anyone try the 2011-2013 Thommen Fast X 127? I am 90 kg and have a 2000 Protech Z27 Mikes Lab Formula board, 131lt, for light wind, sails 7.0 Severne Gator and 8.3 Aerotech Cuben Rapid Fire, and barley use it. Thought I would start using it again and rermembered why I stop using race gear. As a big guy I want a board that will plan fast as possible and glide through the lulls and be a little looser them sharp rails all around. All the reviews I can find are for the Thommen Fast X 117 and these features seem not to be present. The 127 Fast X has the same measurements and some of the same bottom shape as the Tabou Rockect 127. What are you 90kg people using for light wind boards. Seems like Fanatic and Jp X Cite get good reviews too but not as good as the Tabou Rocket for fast planning and gliding through lulls. Any help would be appreciated. I have Tuttle fins for the Protech and my Powerbox stops at 40cm so might need a 43cm if going Powerbox.

I;m around the 90kg mark. My Lightwind boards have been around 75cm to 80cm, 120L to 135L. I like the JP Slaloms. They are a bit boxy railed and can be hard work when wind gets up. Can get fatigued very early if the wind picks up. The new JP Slalom VIII 78 130L has slightly detuned rails and sails a touch softer, but planes very early and is very fast. One of my friend sails the Tabou Rockets and loves them, they have a softer ride than hardcore slalom boards. For me the Freeride softer ride feels a bit draggy and dead in the water, I prefer the edgy slalom ride, but that comes at a cost of comfort and fatiguing earlier. BTW I've got the Fast X 117, and it is too free ride biased for me, easy to sail, planes early, carries a 7.6m but not as easily or as balanced, as a 7,6 on my JP Slaloms.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Thommen Fast X 127 / Tabou Rocket 125" started by Keys SUP