Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

TwoEleven (Goya) 140-190 Carbon Wave Boom

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 8 May 2014
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
8 May 2014 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

I picked up one of these when I got my new Goya sails, It's a sweet bit of gear and is outstanding value for money at $890(RRP). It weighs in at 2.6kg and has a 26mm (25mm Severne, 28mm NP) grip which is a real nice feeling in the hands, I've sailed with it about 6 times now and have not experienced any arm pump or fatigue. It's shorter then any boom I've ever owned but it still extends out far enough for my largest sail (5.7 Banzai @ 176cm) and gives a nice secure connection between sail, boom & rider. I've run the NP carbon booms for the last 2 years which are an outstanding piece of gear but when you compare $890 against $1300 the 211 boom just beats it hands down.

The boom head is rock solid, No play or wobble and rotates around flat for flat packing.

The tail piece has the same outhaul setup as NP booms...Just loop, Pull & Go. (Very easy & No fuss)
It has double pin connections to secure the tail piece, Very solid and easy to adjust.

Nice shape, New school type that taper in slightly but still has nice width around the head.

The head has a built in shim that can be removed, Nice secure fit without having to over tighten the clamp.

The tail piece is beefed up for added strength.

Overall a great little wave boom that offers high performance and outstanding value for money, Seriously if your not on a carbon boom yet this would be a great addition to your kit and well worth the investment.

Cheers..

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
8 May 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh that deserves red thumbs.
A gear review is exactly that & jh even quotes a retail price, something all the brand whores (red thumbers) couldn't because they wouldn't even know the real cost of gear.
Just because it's not your favorite brand you don't have to red thumb
Maybe it looks better than the crap you are forced to use

KevinD002
226 posts
8 May 2014 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Seems like a lot of manufacturers are now using that head (chinook, KA, and Aeron)

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
8 May 2014 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KevinD002 said..

Seems like a lot of manufacturers are now using that head (chinook, KA, and Aeron)

I wouldn't be surprised if all booms come from the same factory and simply have different color grip and branding.

KevinD002
226 posts
8 May 2014 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Yea I would think they are as the KA has the same retaining system at the end. The chinooks have it too on the larger sizes but on the smaller sizes they are 1 pin.

Cambodge
VIC, 851 posts
8 May 2014 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Also looks extremely similar to the Gaastra carbon wave boom, too.

Rob11
240 posts
8 May 2014 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..
KevinD002 said..

I wouldn't be surprised if all booms come from the same factory and simply have different color grip and branding.

I would say so as well. Check Naish, Unifiber, Gunsails, KA etc. They all look the same, just different graphics.

Roy
VIC, 128 posts
8 May 2014 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

nice boom but why no 150 - 200cm size?

Cambodge
VIC, 851 posts
8 May 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roy said...

So ya have to buy two!!

northy1
430 posts
8 May 2014 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

...and the million dollar question - how does it compare to the Enigma?!

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
8 May 2014 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
northy1 said..

The enigma has a 25 mm arm diameter and at least the one I have weights less then 2.6 kgs. Last I check it it came in at 2.1 kg.

I guess the weight isn't a major issue until you try and get your gear onto a plane.

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
9 May 2014 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
northy1 said..

Sounds like they are available at least

If every brand had their own factory for booms they would all look different but cost about $5000 each.

Being all the same the big test will be who's grip is going to stay on for more than 5 minutes

From the amount of re-grips I've done I can tell you it isn't just the glue that causes the problems, it seems to be colours & textures of the grip as well.
Oh, add as many little inlayed bits & graphics right where your hands go, that always works well too

Plain old black was always the best

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
9 May 2014 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cambodge said..
Roy said...

So ya have to buy two!!

When you design a boom you have to consider sail sizes, generally your own brand sizes & try to get the best coverage.
If you are desgning a generic brand boom it is very hard as there are so many sail sizes & brands.
Then you have the problem of sail styles changing every year from short boom, long luff to long boom, short luff.

Then for some reason people expect to have 4 boards, 5 sails, 3 masts but only 1 boom to cover their whole quiver.
I never could work that out
There was a pommy brand boom a few years back that had a 900mm extension range, that worked well

I use 4 booms to cover my quiver of sails, 4.5M to 8.5M, I could probably get away with 3 but have to share as well

If you want the best performance from a boom don't expect too much adjustment, it's a compromise.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
9 May 2014 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

slim version has been around for a while (2012 I think)

But I agree, definitely the best booms ever

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
9 May 2014 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

But I agree, definitely the best booms ever

Until you try a Severne Enigma for wave sailing...

... I bought one with my own cash. Got a bit of a discount from Windsurf and Snow but not much. Worth every cent. Two seasons old and still going strong. And I am not exactly a light weight

uweh
311 posts
16 May 2014 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

goya boom etc. made by aeron...

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"TwoEleven (Goya) 140-190 Carbon Wave Boom" started by jh2703