Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Wave sails - Batterns v Fins

Created by Vince68 > 9 months ago, 27 Dec 2016
Vince68
WA, 675 posts
27 Dec 2016 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone explain if the number of batterns on a sail will perform differently to number of fins on a board? Probably not a very clear question but i was reading the specs on some new sails and they suggested that a certain sail is better matched with a multi-fin board and others better matched to a single fin.
I’m kind of guessing that the more batterns the more blasting and bump & jump orientated i.e. single fin, greater drive and lift and perhaps the opposite for multi-fin.

Or what make a sail more compatible to a multi-fin over a single and vice versa?

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
9 Jan 2017 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

I have North sails and that's pretty much what they recommend- four batten sails for a multifin, 5 batten for single fin. (Mind you, in the Maui photo shoots they do you see plenty of examples of North/Fanatic which break that rule,if it is a rule). I have a Fanatic Freewave, which I can convert from single to multifin, and the recommendation seems to work. With a single fin, the board is better suited to bump and jump blasting, and with a 5 batten wave sail, the power/draft feels more locked forward. Most of the sailing I've done over the years is bumps and jump, and the 5 batten set up feels more "traditional". Plenty of grip to drive the board off the fin.
When I first got some 4 batten sails, they felt horrible. So much more backhand needed to keep control, and they didn't feel like a good blasting sail. Maybe now I'm a bit more used to them, I can still get good speeds B&J'ing and even with the tri-fin set-up, and can have great b&j sessions on them, but they really feel good on waves where the backhand control and carveability of the board make them feel great. It's almost like a different style of sailing- more upright stance, more backhand and nowhere near as much driving the board of the back foot unlike the single fin set-up. Admittedly I haven't tried to mix 'n' match to see how the 5 batten sails feel with multifins, or how the 4 battens feel with a single fin.
I heard Ben Severne talking about the differences between the S1 (4 batten) and Blades (5 batten) and the differences seemed to correlate with my experience with the brand I have used (I ain't going to make any other comparisons though).

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
10 Jan 2017 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

There is definitely recommendations but i think the biggest thing comes down to personal preference.

I ride a thruster (Fanatic Stubby) and always use 5 battern sails (North Volts)
I love the stability the 5 batterns have in overpowered conditions and also the constant power.
4 batterns seems to be a bit more ON and OFF, much better suited to down the line clean wave sailing.

Not sure about 3 batterns.
people rave about them, but all i can remember when i was a grom was the more the better.
So not sure why we are going back to the old days? Bit like the twinser fad i guess.

Best advice would be to try as many as you can.

cheers J

forceten
1312 posts
11 Jan 2017 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

I don't read the printed hype on manufacturers descriptions often , the feeling is that take the recommendations with a grain of salt.
It like ..a pure wave sail..written on the use, like the sail can tell where it's at, it's on the board.

The 4 and 3 batten sails are better suited for waves and manouevers, doesn't make them great for bump and jump.

Your question is opinion driven , personal preference.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Wave sails - Batterns v Fins" started by Vince68