Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Why Sonic?

Created by Obelix > 9 months ago, 25 Nov 2010
Obelix
WA, 838 posts
25 Nov 2010 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Just looking at the GPS Site and a lot of people ride the Starboard Sonic.

Why Sonic?
What's so good about it in comparison to, I.E. JP XCite Ride, Tabou Rocket, Fanatic Hawk etc.

I'm no trying to stir any trouble, just considering my next board, and having only tried an old Bombora (and recently the Starbord Kode) I'm researching the options.

I live near Pinnaroo, and would like a board under 120L that behaves in the chop.

vando
QLD, 3400 posts
25 Nov 2010 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

The Sonic or ISonic are full slalom boards and would be hard to compare to the above boards as they lean more toward freeride boards. Starboard Futura would make a better comparison.

nebbian
WA, 6177 posts
25 Nov 2010 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

vando said...

Starboard Futura would make a better comparison.

+1

At your stage getting an iSonic would slow you down and make you frustrated to be honest...

The Kode, JP XCite ride, Tabou Rocket, Fanatic Hawk etc will all have you belting around having fun and going fast.

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
25 Nov 2010 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

OK, that's resolved then. No Sonic for me

lao shi
WA, 1196 posts
26 Nov 2010 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

I would qualify Nebbian's statement, Obelix. Yes the current Sonics are full on slalom boards. I know you are on a budget. A number of us have the older (mine is 05) sonics and they are a bit more forgiving and cheaper. Unfortunately they tend to be available in the smaller sizes. You also need to decide what type of sailing you want to do most. Go fast or be comfortable. Difficult to have both in short sharp chop.
Try as many boards as you can but anything recent will feel so much easier than the Bombora once you are used to it.

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
26 Nov 2010 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Lao Shi,

I'm not planning to compete in the speed department. Get's too scary, and the water can be quite hard once you hit it at speed. especially if you are still hooked in.
Once I get to 30 knts, I'll be happy to stay at that speed.

At the moment, my ambitions are to learn how to gybe so I can spend more time closer to home (Pinnaroo's) where it can be a bit choppy.

So I need a board that gybes easy, get's up to 30 knts and behaves in the chop.

Glad the Sonic is resolved. From what I read, the S-Type would also be too much for me. The Kode has now also been short-listed

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Why Sonic?" started by Obelix