Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Wind Magazine France | The Loft O2 Freeride 6.6

Created by Windsurfing Sales > 9 months ago, 3 Mar 2008
3 Mar 2008 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

The Loft | Wind magazine France 2008 test The Loft O2 Freeride 6.6
"Ease, comfort and performance"

The Loft O2 Freeride 6.6 has a lot of distinctive features within this group of sails. First of all, it's the sail that has the biggest number of battens (like the Pryde). Recommended mast: 460 rdm.

The O2 Freeride is set apart from the others with a heavy-duty construction and a massive use of xply. Longevity must be a priority of Loftsails, because it is the most reinforced sail of this group.

It is worth noting that the O2 Freeride has a Vario Top.

On the water, the sail is not the most powerful of the group, nor the most nervous to start the planing, nevertheless it's doing quite well considering its size (slightly smaller than the other sails tested). Once the planing started, the sail generates forces to propel the board and the rider at high-speed. We appreciate the very comfortable softness and elasticity that it offers to the rider. It's really pleasant to sail with it, because it's well balanced and easy to use. With this Loft we never struggle. The gusts are well absorbed and acceleration is natural.

Control in strong winds is really good. The profile is less blocked than the Hellcat's, but the center of effort is not significantly going backwards. We just have the feeling of a sail a bit less light than the other sails, but its not a problem for the maneuvers.

Competitive and offering good control in strong winds, Monty's O2 Freeride is one of the easiest sail to use, and as usual, very pleasant to sail with.

A good value for money, as a bonus a well-reinforced construction.

+ : Construction, quality/price, strong winds control, softness, performances
- : nothing to report

Verdict: (...) The Loft O2 Freeride offers both very good behavior and good speed. Super all-round and very well constructed, it's suitable for the most windsurfers.

www.windsurfingsales.com.au/products/sails/2008OxygenO2Freeride.php

mineral1
WA, 4454 posts
3 Mar 2008 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Have the 2007 version, first didn't take too it, as it was just as indicated in report a bit unusual to come up on the plane. But now
Have tried a few others, and the lightness is what gets me. even the 7.4 I have when another person used it and tried to crack a duck gybe, he was stunned how light it felt. Good sails and once up on the fin, it stays there.

firiebob
WA, 2839 posts
10 Mar 2008 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

I finally got to use my new 2007 5.9 O2 (run out model) the other day, and even though in 15 years sailing I have never rigged or sailed a no-cam sail and with no one around for advise, I cracked a new Pb max speed
I sail in open water ocean, and when the wind is up it gets rough as guts, the Loft O2 felt real nice and light with easy control
Build quality is very very good, although I'd like to see them all x-ply

shear tip
NSW, 1123 posts
10 Mar 2008 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Another vote here. I love my '08 7.4 - It's all I got to use this summer really. Huge wind range once set, and even bigger if you adjust outhaul and downhaul.

TonyC
WA, 410 posts
10 Mar 2008 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Have a O2 5.9 and Blade 6.2 - still find a little iffy getting up on plane in very marginal conditions (on 93ltr - user defect) but absolutely stoked in the build quality, range and top end (from what I can tell). I had one serious catapult at speed with the 5.9 that totally destroyed both sides of a chinook boom - no damage to the sail or Loft rdm mast at all.

Looking forward to getting the 7.5 Blade and 8.4 O2 for a bigger board.

vando
QLD, 3398 posts
11 Mar 2008 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

First time on the 02 6.6 2008 sail today I’ve had it for a few weeks but ive been busy tuning my new Blades . I don’t normally use no cams sails but I was pleasantly surprised how stable the sail felt especially in the strongest gust.
The sails not slow either I still managed 31.7 on my bump and jump board in choppy water. I don’t think you can go wrong with this sail if ya looking for a great allround performer .

mineral1
WA, 4454 posts
12 Mar 2008 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

vando said...

First time on the 02 6.6 2008 sail today I’ve had it for a few weeks but ive been busy tuning my new Blades . I don’t normally use no cams sails but I was pleasantly surprised how stable the sail felt especially in the strongest gust.
The sails not slow either I still managed 31.7 on my bump and jump board in choppy water. I don’t think you can go wrong with this sail if ya looking for a great allround performer .

Vando, keep us updated re the 02's V the blades. There is consideration that the difference isn't that great from some quarters. The 02 should get better after the first few usages.

vando
QLD, 3398 posts
12 Mar 2008 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

mineral1 said...

vando said...

Vando, keep us updated re the 02's V the blades. There is consideration that the difference isn't that great from some quarters. The 02 should get better after the first few usages.

Will do Mineral but i do love my Blades mate

Little Jon
NSW, 1673 posts
12 Mar 2008 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Speaking of the blades, sounds like people are happy with them, what masts have you used I thinking of buying a blade and thinking of trying to save by looking at a almost new (2nd hand) mast instaed of new? Also do they have a lot of bottom end like the ka's

vando
QLD, 3398 posts
12 Mar 2008 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

I havnt sailed the Ka's little John But yes i would say the Blades do have very good bottom end. They do use RDM in the sizes 8.5 and below.
ta Vando

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Wind Magazine France | The Loft O2 Freeride 6.6" started by Windsurfing Sales