Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Yet another Noob asking for rig selection advice

Created by LordofTweed > 9 months ago, 5 Dec 2015
LordofTweed
QLD, 17 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hello everyone, I'm a Gold Coaster in CoolanGhetto looking to advance from my current old gear :) . Currently I'm on an old board that is fairly large, glass mast, aluminum boom you get the idea but today in moderate winds it just didn't feel fun, felt heavy to use and tiresome, wish it would go faster too after seeing some of the promo videos :/ . The wind doesn't get up much more around here so it will be very frustrating in future as unless I get cyclonic conditions it wont be fun.
I'd really like to progress and get into the surf and offshore in the ocean.
It is a very hard task to choose a modern board and rig, I'm 6'7" and had a horrible time failing to learn on a short board before a found my current one - no water starting never worked for me on the short board either. On top of that most rigs and boards are a few thousand dollars! - I can't stuff this decision - hell I dont even want to pay more than 1-2k, is it possible to have fun on something under $1,000?

Thankyou everyone, and by the way the reason for why I have progressed to where I am today is because someone on here from Redcliff gave me a heap of gear to get started - thankyouKind regardsSam Groll

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
5 Dec 2015 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Well you have me intrigued

More details please - weight, experience etc

I trolled back through you post and found this...

I can understand the trouble you had with 90s shortboards - can I say that modern short/wide boards are a different breed!

From this thread....
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/im-a-total-beginer-ive-got-a-board-and-no-sail/

Is this what you are still sailing?

I suppose if you want to faster a modern rig and board may help.

So a little more info on your details may help

Do you mix with other sailers - maybe try one of there rigs to see what you like?

Can you have fun for $1000 yes yes...
You could start here .....
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/salisbury/surfing/windsurfer-jp-funster-160/1097160587

If you have a sailing friend to help you often some good stuff for sale but a helping hand goes a long way
Again it depends on your skill set and weight.

Cheers Jeff

MarkSSC
QLD, 634 posts
5 Dec 2015 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with Jeff that it is totally feasible to get gear at around $1000. After that you begin to desire an extra sail or two for different wind conditions. Then a smaller board for those really choppy conditions. There is always a wish list! Getting started on the right gear is the key though, both for the fun factor and safety. The rest will take care of itself over time. Be wise with the second hand choices though. Size, shape, performance etc. the sail should match the board and the conditions you use it in. the learner gear never becomes truly obselete because you can use it on light wind days to practice technique and new moves.

LordofTweed
QLD, 17 posts
5 Dec 2015 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thankyou all,
Haha, good trolling Jirvin - I couldnt even find those when I went to my profile - I will upload a pic of my current board and rig soon but it is similar to the second one you posted. That old Bic I had was totally impossible.
The Gumtreee link you posted is intriguing.
I havnt mixed with other sailors.

I weigh 80kg, 202cm and my experiance so far is being able to get underway, turn left, right, real basic stuff but atleast I'm moving. Today was the first time using a centerboard (homemade ofcourse :p - pro-though:thin pine with glass, carbon, kev) and I will agree that it helped me move about the area a lot better than just getting blown down river.
I havnt been out in the ocean. Where I live there is always crazy surf so getting a windy day with little surf is hard :p

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
6 Dec 2015 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Yep now it's easier to help

Just thinking your original post was 2011 it's now 2015. Time to get you past the just get going stage????

Is 'just get going' mean harness? Footstraps? Uphauling or water starting?

How often are you able to get out sailing?

Sounds like you better make the gumtree seller an offer they can't refuse. Also just noticed another funster with more gear down near Coffs on Seabreeze.

The thing with secondhand beginner gear is you will get most of your money back if you do decide to sell it. As it doesn't come up often for sale.

If you are hungry to learn progress windsurfing you need a tribe to mix with. Spend some time on the qld forum and you will see some threads aimed at helping us get going.

Time to join the fold...... It's a hard enough learning curve as it is without doing it in your own.

Start a thread on the Qld forum with you location in the tittle.

Ie... Keen beginner Gold Coast looking for sailing help..

Lots a great venues down your way for learning. Really surprised you haven't met any other beginners

I'm saying progress requires more than gear......
Get some suitable gear - the gumtree board may need a better sail?? - build up a group of like minded sailers

Summer is here - no time to waste building Center boards

Cheers Jeff

MarkSSC
QLD, 634 posts
8 Dec 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Try to get a copy of the DVD " Beginner to Winner" because it will provide all the coaching you need to progress. It is possibly the best of its kind on the market. There is also a sequel that does wavesailing.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7925 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MarkSSC said..
Try to get a copy of the DVD " Beginner to Winner" because it will provide all the coaching you need to progress. It is possibly the best of its kind on the market. There is also a sequel that does wavesailing.

I've got that. Only bit I don't like is his advice to exit gybes clew first. Much prefer Guy Cribbs DVD for learning to gybe..

LordofTweed
QLD, 17 posts
8 Dec 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, 'sourcing' that DVD now :) Was suprized how quickly the funster is brisvegas was sold - so windsurfers are very liquid? Thanks for the new link that just was posted today - it looks like a bit of a heavy bit of gear though so not so sure? I can up-haul - get underway and turn left/right. Thats my experience.

Thanks

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
9 Dec 2015 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

You have asked for suggestions - I can see you have received pointers to 2 lots of suitable gear.

Yes suitable gear comes up rarely - act quick!

Still wondering how often you are able to get out sailing? Recon with suitable gear and a hunger to learn you would make more progress this summer than you have in the last 4 years

The gear you have been suggested is good gear

As per earlier post - answer to progress is more than gear.

Link up with other sailers

Cheers Jeff

MarkSSC
QLD, 634 posts
9 Dec 2015 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

MarkSSC said..

I've got that. Only bit I don't like is his advice to exit gybes clew first. Much prefer Guy Cribbs DVD for learning to gybe..

I have not seen Cribby's DVD on gybing but have seen a lot of his articles which are in PDF format. Plenty of got stuff to study and apply. Interesting comment about the clew first technique...I wonder if it because of his connection with Freestyle. They advertise a third DVD that has 113 different freestyle moves being taught. Possibly 114 if you count the catapult with double flip landing through your sail!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Yet another Noob asking for rig selection advice" started by LordofTweed