Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

can anyone comment on the EZZY lion 3

Created by Tardy > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2017
Tardy
2885 posts
29 Jun 2017 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 7,0 cheetah ,then my next step up is a 8.5 cheetah .
thinking a 7.5 ,2 cam lion 3...
is there anyone out there using this sail ,can they comment .

it reads as having good low down grunt
.seem there is no 7,8 ,which is
in the middle .hoping this will fill the gap.as a cammed sail it should match the power of a 7,8.no cam .
thanks in advance .

joe windsurf
1453 posts
30 Jun 2017 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

i don't have any Ezzys, but ...
for me a spacing of 7.0 to 8.5 is perfect ...
in another recent post about early planing and grunt, the NP V8 was liked more than the Lion

jirvin4505
QLD, 996 posts
30 Jun 2017 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Only commenting as a Ezzy lover

i sail lions at 95kg.

Spacing from ezzy lion 8.5 to Ezzy (pre lion) infinity 7m was an easy ask on the sail range

I am now with updated sails I go 8.5 lion down to 7.5 lion then 6.5 legacy (similar to cheta)

So suppose what goal is. Do you find cheta drop from 8.5 to7 too much??

imho I would sell 8.5 cheta and get 8.5 lion or replace 7 cheta with 7.5 lion

cheers jeff
love the ease of Ezzy cams

Tardy
2885 posts
30 Jun 2017 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
Only commenting as a Ezzy lover

i sail lions at 95kg.

Spacing from ezzy lion 8.5 to Ezzy (pre lion) infinity 7m was an easy ask on the sail range

I am now with updated sails I go 8.5 lion down to 7.5 lion then 6.5 legacy (similar to cheta)

So suppose what goal is. Do you find cheta drop from 8.5 to7 too much??

imho I would sell 8.5 cheta and get 8.5 lion or replace 7 cheta with 7.5 lion

cheers jeff
love the ease of Ezzy cams

I don't think I could bare to sell my 7.0 cheetah ...it's my ocean sail .which is very easy to use in rough conditions .

You right I probably don't need a in between .

but want a fast flat water sail that I can sail fully over powered without going too big ,but don't want to go a full cammed sail ,or a huge luff pocket ....well,I would but EZZY don't make them .I did ask David about what sail to use for GPS .sailing .
He suggested the lion .as it is his fastest sail.

can you have too many sails ??

how is the Top speed of your lions Jeff. .?

thats what Im really after top speed .

Thanks joe , just having brought a ezzy 91% mast feel I should stick with EZZY.
but the V8 has always been a good sail .had one years back .

thanks .for the replies.

Tardy
2885 posts
30 Jun 2017 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

joe windsurf
1453 posts
30 Jun 2017 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

discussion/post here on whether it is worthwhile to even replace 8.5 Cheetah with a Lion:

fluidlines1.wordpress.com/2016/02/12/ezzy-cheetah-lion-sails-review-by-danny-geereedhary/

grich62
QLD, 522 posts
30 Jun 2017 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

in the middle .hoping this will fill the gap.as a cammed sail it should match the power of a 7,8.no cam .
thanks in advance .

hi tardy i own 9 ezzy sails 9.5 lion 3 and 8.5,7.5 and 6.5 2014 lions ,i think you can do away with a 7 .5 as your sail spread is good if you really want to gps i find the 6.5 is fastest in 20 + knts . the 7.5 and 8.5 seem to keep up with the high end sails so the advantage of having small sleeve is great for water starting for me ,and handling and cam rotations are the best i have used.you don,t say what size mast you use as a 8.5 uses a 490 and the 7 uses a 460, ezzy really do work best with the correct mast and one of your sails has the wrong mast in it,unless you have two masts. if you buy a 7.5 lion you will need a 460 .

dave.h
WA, 175 posts
30 Jun 2017 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

can't comment on the ezzys as I am using Tushingham sails at present, but for the sail size I think what you have is not bad.
A few years ago I reduced my quiver of sails to a 7.5 and 6.0, and 5.2. It was probably more of a mind game that I played on my self that the gap of 7.5-6 was to big. However I did not really ever have any issues with this. When the 7.5 got to much, the 6.0 was perfect on my next board size down. would constantly find myself going to the beach with 2 boards and 2 sails pretty much most days(7.5+6m both no cam sails and 122ltr + 104 ltr board) and never having any issues). Talked my self into changing to 7.8m and 7.0m 2cam sails, then down to 6.2 and 5.2m.
Now, the last season or so I find that I use my 7.0 mostly. if I cant get going with a 7m 2cam and I change up to the 7.8, I still can't get going. I constantly wish that I had an 8.5m sail.
Going the other way, If I rig my 7.8 and get over powered then going to the 7, I am still over powered. I'll change to a 6.2, some times the 5.2.
So if you think that a 7.5m cam sail is going to fit in your quiver only for certain locations or water conditions the go for it. Otherwise you'll probably find that what you have is hard to beat.
Also, I have looked at the ezzy sails a lot and quite a few crew at my local use them and I think they are a really nice rig. Made to last unlike most sails today. Those that use them vouch for there good wind range.

dave

azymuth
WA, 591 posts
30 Jun 2017 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
I don't think I could bare to sell my 7.0 cheetah ...it's my ocean sail .which is very easy to use in rough conditions .
how is the Top speed of your lions Jeff. .?
thats what Im really after top speed .

Top speed so far in the ocean using a Ezzy Lion 7.5 is 31 knots with a Patrik 125L F-Ride

Great sail, bullet-proof construction helps feeling safer when a couple of miles off-shore

JJ

Tardy
2885 posts
1 Jul 2017 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grich62 said..

Tardy said..

thanks in advance .

hi tardy i own 9 ezzy sails 9.5 lion 3 and 8.5,7.5 and 6.5 2014 lions ,i think you can do away with a 7 .5 as your sail spread is good if you really want to gps i find the 6.5 is fastest in 20 + knts . the 7.5 and 8.5 seem to keep up with the high end sails so the advantage of having small sleeve is great for water starting for me ,and handling and cam rotations are the best i have used.you don,t say what size mast you use as a 8.5 uses a 490 and the 7 uses a 460, ezzy really do work best with the correct mast and one of your sails has the wrong mast in it,unless you have two masts. if you buy a 7.5 lion you will need a 460 .

Thanks grich.
yeah I have a 490 for my 8,5. It a 100% north SDM .it works perfect ..and such a pleasure to use .
And a 91%460 ezzy .
great you like your lions .

thanks dave and azymuth.

it doesn't really sound like I need this sail ...true ..

i accidentally brought it yesterday .
it just looked too good .in orange .

jirvin4505
QLD, 996 posts
1 Jul 2017 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

grich62 said..

Tardy said..

thanks in advance .

Thanks grich.
yeah I have a 490 for my 8,5. It a 100% north SDM .it works perfect ..and such a pleasure to use .
And a 91%460 ezzy .
great you like your lions .

thanks dave and azymuth.

it doesn't really sound like I need this sail ...true ..

i accidentally brought it yesterday .
it just looked too good .in orange .

Interested in your feedback

'accidentally bought' yep I keep having accidents like that

cheers Jeff

Tardy
2885 posts
1 Jul 2017 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

I'll give my report .
kid brought the flu home so guess who's got it now .might be a week ..

one of my main reasons for buying this size ,is ,i've been out on dead flat water on my
115 Tabou and 7.0...,where I'm just a little under powered ,or feel as though i could handle a bit more sail
it doesn't really carry the 8.5 that good.as only rated for a 7.5 ...so rather than jump up to a 125 litre tabou board ,
i'd rather put a 7.5 on .which i haven't owed in the past ,as the 115 rocket is a very fast board compared to the 125 .
so basically i'm buying sails for the boards i own ,now

I think it will be a great sail,and size to have .

grich62
QLD, 522 posts
1 Jul 2017 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
I'll give my report .
kid brought the flu home so guess who's got it now .might be a week ..

one of my main reasons for buying this size ,is ,i've been out on dead flat water on my
115 Tabou and 7.0...,where I'm just a little under powered ,or feel as though i could handle a bit more sail
it doesn't really carry the 8.5 that good.as only rated for a 7.5 ...so rather than jump up to a 125 litre tabou board ,
i'd rather put a 7.5 on .which i haven't owed in the past ,as the 115 rocket is a very fast board compared to the 125 .
so basically i'm buying sails for the boards i own ,now

I think it will be a great sail,and size to have .

7.5 will be perfect for what you are describing ,but what size ezzy mast have you got ,it will work best with a 460 .i have used mine with a rdm and a niel pryde sdm and it sailed nice , but it was best with the ezzy 460 ,i have used it with a ezzy 490 but it had a stiffer feel to it,but powerful in the gusts

Tardy
2885 posts
1 Jul 2017 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

thanks grich. i have a RDM EZZY 91% 460.so all good.

luff 480.

olskool
QLD, 1174 posts
2 Jul 2017 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, i use an 8m cheetah. Am 110kg longboard nut. Cheetah is great but i find i need more power. I like the feel of cammed sails over soft sails. Looking for user feedback on 9.5m Lion. Do i sell the 8m Cheetah n switch to Lions in similar sizes?8.5m n 9.5m both use 490. Only need one mast

jirvin4505
QLD, 996 posts
2 Jul 2017 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

If powerfull raceboard sail is the goal especially upwind drive. ..... the sail designed to do the job is king

my raceboard specific sail is the true beast -9.5 severne. It's more powerfull than the 9.5 lion however for me as a 'keen beginner' it gets more unmanageable quicker in higher winds especially as I don't have the extras like adjustable out and down hauls.

I have seen racereports raceboards where they down size to 9.5 slalom sails in high wind conditions

cheers jeff
ps. For Se qld conditions my most used sail is 8.5 lion 100-95kg. I imagine the 8m cheta would get a lot if use also if that was my sail. However the 9.5 lion is often the go to in those minimal whitecap Se qld conditions. If I'm going long boarding than I'm not expecting to get the jp slw planing so winds would be less and the 9.5 is the choice unless I'm working on skills and then I stay with 7.5

Tardy
2885 posts
2 Jul 2017 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Hi Guys, i use an 8m cheetah. Am 110kg longboard nut. Cheetah is great but i find i need more power. I like the feel of cammed sails over soft sails. Looking for user feedback on 9.5m Lion. Do i sell the 8m Cheetah n switch to Lions in similar sizes?8.5m n 9.5m both use 490. Only need one mast

Hey olskool .i wouldn't be selling that 8.0 if I was you .real handy size .
if your long boarding a 9.5 lion or cheetah would be a great light winder for your weight .
2 cam would probably give you more down wind power .i really can't complain about the low end poke of my 8.5 cheetah ....down the track I will buy a 9.5 .i will buy a cheetah though .because I will use it on short boards ,and they are mighty big sails ...I had a north 2001 9.6 warp ..which died ...it was one heavy mother ...when wet ..but it felt like you where planning in no wind ....thank goodness ezzy make a light 8.5 & 9,5 now .
remember more gear you have the better
theres not many windsurfers out there that don't have at least 3 mast .430,460,490 or if your a light weight or wave sailer .370-400,430'460'
Maybe some would have 4 .mast in there collection for those who have been sailing a long time .or more.

its a matter of having too.to get the best performance out of your sails.

FrenchToast
41 posts
2 Jul 2017 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 85kg, sailing on Lake Michigan and other lakes in the Midwest US. Chop and 6' swell is common. Been using a 8.5 Lion3 for a year now and this is my most favorite sail in conditions between 13-17 knots. I sail it on a 124Liter. Great range, smooth but powerful. I have also a 7,5 and 6.5 cheetah and don't like them as much. Great sails but the Lion3 has so much more range...
i also own a 9.4 2017 NP V8. Amazing fit and finish. Sailed it 2 times on a Super Lightwind board. It delivers more direct power than the Lion3, probably due to the fact it is monofilm construction mainly. Seems to be a great sail also.
Back to the Lion3: if I could I would buy a 7.0 Lion3 if it existed, but it doesn't. There's nothing to regret about the Lion3. Great looking, bulletproof construction, easy to rig and tuneup. Finally, it is easy to waterstart with its narrow mast sleeve that won't pick up tones of water - a plus! (The NP V8 has a larger mast sleeve).
Here's the Lion3 8.5 in action:

Tardy
2885 posts
3 Jul 2017 3:40AM
Thumbs Up

nice one french toast .i like the ghost effect on vid one.
sail looks great.

olskool
QLD, 1174 posts
3 Jul 2017 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

I came across this on the 3am gear patrol.Good to see the Lion in action. That lime green looks filth!! Wish theyd use more of it

FrenchToast
41 posts
3 Jul 2017 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
nice one french toast .i like the ghost effect on vid one.
sail looks great.

Thanks Tardy. I'm not an "expert" sailor but speed on the water is my medicine. I know how to rig and trim my 8.5 Lion3 to my liking and it is an outstanding fast engine. I got it to plane my 124L in 12-13 knots and was able to handle it in gusts that were around 17-18 knots without felling overpowered.
I used to sail a Gaastra Savage of the same size and it had more instant pull than the Ezzy but it also was harder to keep up with. A lot more physical and "raw". The Ezzy is more civilized while keeping its promise on the low or topend performance. It just does it in a smooth and more predictable way which works for me.

olskool
QLD, 1174 posts
13 Jul 2017 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Ok so after surveying all the positive feedback. 9.5m Lion3 is on its way. But not available til september....
Until then 8m Cheetah reigns supreme.

Tardy
2885 posts
13 Jul 2017 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Welcome to the two cam club .that should increase your light wind planning days .
pity you have to wait so long ,I got the last 7.5 .so I was lucky .i got the orange one....untested yet .

olskool
QLD, 1174 posts
13 Jul 2017 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hiya Tardy, yep bit of a wait. Worth it im sure. Fill us in after youve taken your 7.5 lion for a spin. Im keen to hear of its power n windrange. Cheers

RichardG
WA, 2193 posts
13 Jul 2017 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

I picked up the last Ezzy Lion3 9.5 m2 sail in WA about a month ago but alas have not used it yet. I have always wanted one of these and I got the White. It tops off my Goya Mark 8.5, 7.8, 7.2, 6.6 and 6.2. I have used the 7.2 and 8.5 m2 Goya Mark mainly but I now have the Ezzy Lion 3 9.5 m2 also for my race board Mistral 1988 Equipe LCS XR and also for my Exocet RS6 Slalom.I have not been out in the last few weeks so can't wait to use it. In my past experience Ezzy sails are fantastic and well made. The Lion3 was developed by Ezzy with Kevin Pritchard so you know it means business. I have all the Ezzy RDM masts which are dependable and work on all the Goya sails as well.

olskool
QLD, 1174 posts
14 Jul 2017 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

RichardG lucky! It appears that was the last 9.5 in Oz. Im waiting for new shipment to arrive. Cant wait to try it on my Speed F1 raceboard.Not much wind here in SE QLD atm.Makes the wait a bit easier. Oh well, back to fishing while the fan ISNT on.

Stuthepirate
SA, 3434 posts
14 Jul 2017 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Is it just me or is this one of the ugliest sails to come out of a production loft for some time?

olskool
QLD, 1174 posts
14 Jul 2017 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Stu, i kinda agree. Id like to see better colours. But im no pretty boy either. For me its about Power, tuneability n many years use. Looks rank down the list.

Tardy
2885 posts
14 Jul 2017 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

I'm hurt.

are you saying we have ugly sails.

i don't like the look of the new jeep either,

RichardG
WA, 2193 posts
14 Jul 2017 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

It was the last one I would have preferred the green one or the orange one instead. I don't think it is ugly.

olskool
QLD, 1174 posts
14 Jul 2017 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy, theyre not ugly. Theyre UNIQUE. Yep a bit different. Yep suits me fine... Quick to rig, great to use..Different is how i roll. Im no muppet.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"can anyone comment on the EZZY lion 3" started by Tardy