Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

chinook mast extension with Severne sails

Created by sonny2727 > 9 months ago, 14 Mar 2015
sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
14 Mar 2015 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
I don't have any severne sails but considering buying one. only concern is that severne has pulleys different to most other brands. so the question is will server sails easy to rig on chinoook extensions? has anyone tried?

thanks

ratz
WA, 469 posts
14 Mar 2015 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

should be fine.
severne has the same pulley set up as chinook.
if i remember correctly.

Mark _australia
WA, 22109 posts
14 Mar 2015 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

It will be fine, in fact will work better then most sails as the Severne pulley is rotated 90deg so is easier to downhaul it right down to pulley/pulley contact

maxa
SA, 85 posts
14 Mar 2015 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

I have rigged blades on chinook ext. works ok, have since bought a severne wave grenade ext. They are better to rig on the severne ext.

russh
SA, 3023 posts
14 Mar 2015 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Got blades and S1 sails 2013,14&2015's and they all rig fine with Chinook alu extensions.

stehsegler
WA, 3451 posts
14 Mar 2015 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Not chinook but I'm using np carbon extensions with Severne masts and sails... No problem.

uweh
311 posts
14 Mar 2015 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..
Not chinook but I'm using np carbon extensions with Severne masts and sails... No problem.

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

cool of topic

Mark _australia
WA, 22109 posts
14 Mar 2015 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
maxa said..
I have rigged blades on chinook ext. works ok, have since bought a severne wave grenade ext. They are better to rig on the severne ext.

Considering almost every extension has the same orientation of pulleys.............. how is rigging a Blade in a Severne extension better than a Chinook extension...?FFS they have the pulleys in then same plane.

uweh
311 posts
15 Mar 2015 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hi mark,

Considering almost every extension has the same orientation of pulleys..

streamlined extension not...but very good...

flatout
84 posts
16 Mar 2015 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

I had a Code red with 4 pulleys and only two on the NP extension, which meant that I couldn't use all of the pulleys on the sail. I bought a new extension with three pulleys to make rigging easier.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
16 Mar 2015 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
flatout said...
I had a Code red with 4 pulleys and only two on the NP extension, which meant that I couldn't use all of the pulleys on the sail. I bought a new extension with three pulleys to make rigging easier.

Or you can just skip one of the middle pulleys when you are threading the downhaul.

sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
17 Mar 2015 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try rigging on Chinook and see how things go. At least extensions are more compatible than masts

racerX
457 posts
17 Mar 2015 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

maxa said..

Considering almost every extension has the same orientation of pulleys.............. how is rigging a Blade in a Severne extension better than a Chinook extension...?FFS they have the pulleys in then same plane.

The severne and the the old arrows extensions I have have the cleat set up for port tack rigging, as opposed to starboard like most others. less fiddly, and worth remembering if a clumsy setup you annoys you!

roberto
NSW, 189 posts
10 Apr 2015 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

I have been using severne sails for years with skinny chinook extensions.
Works fine, only difference that Ben S pointed out to me a few years ago was the luff ext number on the sail is pretty close for severne ext but not correct for chinook as the collar to roller spacing is different(space from collar to roller from bottom hole is bigger on chinook if that makes sense ) so the sail is closer to the board on the severne ext.
That was a few years ago but still the same I think.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"chinook mast extension with Severne sails" started by sonny2727