Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

exocet cross 84 feedback?

Created by ESM > 9 months ago, 29 Apr 2015
ESM
19 posts
29 Apr 2015 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

can anyone advise about this board? I am looking at a used one from 2013 in the bamboo construction

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
29 Apr 2015 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

May not be much help but I have two of the previous model (2011) 104 and 94 litres. Lovely, lovely boards. Easy sailing, soft ride, fast enough (32 kts), great in big seas and wild chop.

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
30 Apr 2015 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2013 Cross 94 model in DT construction. It's my board for bump and jump conditions with 5.7 downwards. Very comfortable to ride, gybes well and is a stack of fun jumping etc.

I imagine the bamboo version would be a bit more lively, but with these smaller sizes the difference in weight is fairly minimal. Really happy with this board and have done over 30 knots on it so it's not slow. Have not used it in waves.

I also tried a 2014 Cross 84 in carbon before buying the 94 - review/pics are here:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/2014-Exocet-Cross-Pro-84/

Hope this helps.

N1GEL
NSW, 861 posts
30 Apr 2015 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Question that's a bit OT... how would one of these boards, used for B&J, go with a 2 cam freerace sail for bumpy bay conditions. I have been looking at the same model board, but I'm concerned my sail quiver wouldn't be a good fit.

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
30 Apr 2015 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Nigel, I often use my 5.5 race sail (4 cam) with this board, as its very stable in gusty conditions compared to my wave sails. Your 2 cam sail would be an excellent fit.

I use the stock fin which is pretty swept back but I've heard they work well with more upright fins as well (powerbox).

N1GEL
NSW, 861 posts
30 Apr 2015 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jamesf said..
Nigel, I often use my 5.5 race sail (4 cam) with this board, as its very stable in gusty conditions compared to my wave sails. Your 2 cam sail would be an excellent fit.

I use the stock fin which is pretty swept back but I've heard they work well with more upright fins as well (powerbox).

Thanks for the reply, James. Good to know I can mix and match a b&j board with my sails.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
1 May 2015 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
N1GEL said..
Question that's a bit OT... how would one of these boards, used for B&J, go with a 2 cam freerace sail for bumpy bay conditions. I have been looking at the same model board, but I'm concerned my sail quiver wouldn't be a good fit.

That would work well. I sail mine with no-cam freerides (Cheetahs) and use slalom fins exclusively in very rough bay conditions. They are superb at this sort of thing - fast easy to sail, exciting, yet comfortable. Gybing is super easy, esp in big wind-waves.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7925 posts
1 May 2015 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

Bit off the topic but I recently used my 4 cammed 5m Severne overdrive ( 2009 it does have 4 cams..) on my 78ltre Tabou Pocket wave. I expecetd it to feel horrible but I was surprised to find it felt great in the chop. I did run a bigger fin and the mast foot forward in the waveboard..

ESM
19 posts
10 May 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice. I purchased the 84 cross and sailed on the sound here in North Carolina with it for the first time yesterday with a 5.3 and, later, a 4.4. It was fairly smooth in the chop and turned great. I love my mistral flow and did not think I would find a board of that size that I liked as much. Thanks again for the guidance.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
11 May 2015 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ESM said..
Thanks for the advice. I purchased the 84 cross and sailed on the sound here in North Carolina with it for the first time yesterday with a 5.3 and, later, a 4.4. It was fairly smooth in the chop and turned great. I love my mistral flow and did not think I would find a board of that size that I liked as much. Thanks again for the guidance.

Yes, They have a lot in common with the Flows. There is a very similar feel there. My flow stays in the rack now.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7925 posts
12 May 2015 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..
Bit off the topic but I recently used my 4 cammed 5m Severne overdrive ( 2009 it does have 4 cams..) on my 78ltre Tabou Pocket wave. I expecetd it to feel horrible but I was surprised to find it felt great in the chop. I did run a bigger fin and the mast foot forward in the waveboard..

I wasn't recommending that combo - just surprised it didn't feel horrible..

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"exocet cross 84 feedback?" started by ESM