Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

Geoff Cook wins 2016/17 GPS5 state slalom champs

Created by Steve Charles 1 month ago, 1 Mar 2017
Steve Charles
TAS, 979 posts
1 Mar 2017 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Whoo hoo well done Cookie for winning the 2016/17 GPS5 comp and is now the new Tassie state slalom champ. Congrats Perks for a close hard fought second place. The comp ran over 5 months from Oct through to end of Feb. Well done to everyone who entered

RESULTS:
Geoff Cook 744.07
Anthony Perkins 740.43
Steve Charles 730.13
Dave Morehead 703.14
Ben Wilson 646.68
Kazza Robertson 628.37
Jez Stuart 600.34
Rob Gordon 581.88
Tim Gale 550
Ray Thorne 531.59
Kaleb Smith 297.5
Ian Johnson 170.46
Paul Tenteye 110.11.

Al Planet
TAS, 1226 posts
1 Mar 2017 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nice one .....congrats to all who competed....any competition which runs for months is always going to be tough (it makes a five day test cricket match look like a walk in the park).

AUS02
TAS, 1760 posts
1 Mar 2017 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Cookie, great effort and a great competition!! The results for the top three positions were very close, with any one of you still able to take the lead during the final month. The format was excellent, can't wait for the 2017-18 GPS5 Comp!! Big thanks to Dylan at KA72 for setting it all up on-line (www.ka72.com/Groups/Group-Activity/groupid/15).

bearhoover
TAS, 663 posts
1 Mar 2017 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Well done cookie! it was great to witness the final showdown between perks and cookie... some very impressive sailing in tough conditions.
Great format... keen for the next one :)

Kazza
TAS, 2057 posts
1 Mar 2017 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Cookie & Perks. Very close. You live in a handy place up there so close to all those flat water speed strips! The comp got me out on the slalom gear a bit more this season. I think it's a great idea running it over so many months because if you want to wave sail as well through the season there's plenty of time for both. All the wavesailing Jez did over summer & he was still up there in the results.

Gclark1
TAS, 372 posts
1 Mar 2017 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al Planet said..

Nice one .....congrats to all who competed....any competition which runs for months is always going to be tough (it makes a five day test cricket match look like a walk in the park).

Ummm - isn't the very definition of a five day test cricket match 'a walk in the park', albeit significantly less interesting?

Anyone who is willing to hold up a whole lot of sail in whatever comes will outpace me ANY day of the week. You lot are CRAZY!

Steve Charles
TAS, 979 posts
1 Mar 2017 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bearhoover said..

Well done cookie! it was great to witness the final showdown between perks and cookie... some very impressive sailing in tough conditions.
Great format... keen for the next one :)

Nicely pointed out Ben. In the end it came down to a Henty Showdown between Perks and Cookie 2 weeks ago. Those guys went into battle all day to see who could come out on top. In the last 40 mins of sailing Cookie had to improve his NM from 32 knots to over 33 to take the title. He did that with a blistering 36 plus PB NM to snatch the title from Perks. So dramatic ha-ha.

Steve Charles
TAS, 979 posts
1 Mar 2017 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Also thanks again to Dylan for setting this up on KA72. I would like to keep the format the same again for next season as it worked really well No doubt next season will go up a notch or 2

cookie01
TAS, 149 posts
1 Mar 2017 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, it was a really close comp all the way from start to finish. I was fortunate to get a Pb nm. right at the end to just edge out Perks who had my measure up until that point. My sailing has improved heaps as a result of having to get a good result in all categories. Look forward to the next one, thanks for organizing Steve, Dylan etc.

anthony perkins
TAS, 332 posts
1 Mar 2017 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations cookie welldone. You sailed great season, also a welldone to Steve who was on the points all season as well. thanks to everyone for their commitments.i look forward to next years comp, it's a lot harder than I thought, mentality and physically and I'm sure it will be very hard fought next year and can be won from anywhere in the state.

bazf
TAS, 64 posts
1 Mar 2017 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations Cookie on winning the state slalom title. I'm sure it means more because you were up against some seriously good competition. And well done to Perks and Steve for pushing Cookie up to the next level.

T 11
TAS, 784 posts
2 Mar 2017 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Good job Cookie with great close competition coming from Perks and Steve
Looks like when Henty's on you just have to be there Kazza

Kazza
TAS, 2057 posts
2 Mar 2017 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Pity it's so far away from Hobart....bit of a mission.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"Geoff Cook wins 2016/17 GPS5 state slalom champs" started by Steve Charles