Forums > Wing Foiling General

Axis 970 BSC or 910 PNG

Created by Seajuice Saturday, 6 Aug 2022
Seajuice
NSW, 854 posts
Saturday , 6 Aug 2022 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys. Just thinking about the Axis foil for winging.
Still learning on a JP 6ft 8" board coupled with a Neil Pryde 2000cm XXL foil. With a Cabrinha X2 6Metre Wind wing.
I am 80kgs + or _ 2kgs in weight. So what would be a good improvement considering I am more than comfortable in Surf SUP foiling. It's only the control of wind wings & switch footing that takes the effort!??
At this stage l am looking at two packages.
The 910 PNG or the 970 BSC.

Or should I wait for something more suitable in the High Performance range or find a better option in another brand. Although I'm not prepared to pay an extra $1,000.AU on another brand package for a slight improvement.
Or should I go for an HP Neil Pryde Wing.

I am starting to find that even some Axis wings are not in stock in our Australian shops. Just like Neil Pryde in the past.

johndg
WA, 174 posts
Saturday , 6 Aug 2022 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

I don't know those PNG or BSC foils. I think a good place to start would be on the 980 HPS with maybe a std fuse which is very stable, as you improve reduce the foil size. The HPS is faster than the BSC and better suited to winging. I have tried the 890 BSC vs the 980 HPS. The 980 gets up in the same wind and glides better.

On the 980 I can get up in around 10 to 12 knots. The key with higher aspect Axis foils is to get sufficient board speed before lifting off and they come up gradually. Try and lift too slow and they may stall.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. They are good wings with lots of choice to improve.

Seajuice
NSW, 854 posts
Sunday , 7 Aug 2022 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

So I just looked at my Axis option & found:-
980HPS front wing
400 rear.
Short black fuse.
19mm 75cm alloy mast

Rodskeg
NSW, 88 posts
Sunday , 7 Aug 2022 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Seajuice said..

So I just looked at my Axis option & found:-
980HPS front wing
400 rear.
Short black fuse.
19mm 75cm alloy mast

Perfect set up mate, only change I would opt for the 90cm mast unless you ride in a shallow spot

Seajuice
NSW, 854 posts
Sunday , 7 Aug 2022 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Rodskeg.
When I start doing more offshore ocean & deeper sections of my local lake. I will add another longer mast.
So far I've got the 80cm mast for my Neil Pryde foil that I will try as well to see if it would be suitable for the lake that has a shallow shoreline that gradually gets deeper 50 to 100 metres from shore.

Dcharlton
215 posts
Sunday , 7 Aug 2022 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

BSC is a great line if you're starting out but since you've already got the SUP foil down. You will love the HPS line. Another vote for the 980HPS, have fun!

DC

Thatspec
WA, 94 posts
Monday , 8 Aug 2022 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

I'd ship my 980HPS to Australia, it's like new, not a scratch, used three hours.
classifieds.gorge.net/?id=4i7kad38

nipabe
1 posts
Monday , 8 Aug 2022 4:41AM
Thumbs Up

..the BSC is a very moderate and stable wing...with 1600scm and a upper mid ratio ..you can ride it up from 4bft to upper 5/lower 6ft and never feel that the foil is riding you... but for sure, the end speed is slow compared to HPS oder ART foils....is moderate wing with good glide and which will help you to learn jibs and tacks very easy... and it is a good SUP foil for for small surf or havy rider...even connecting waves works fine...it is not very turny but a kind of longboard style... so, it depends actually very much on your experience ...I am pretty sure that the BSC 970 is much more forgiving than the PNG 910 - which could be the next step on the BSC 970...

Seajuice
NSW, 854 posts
Yesterday , 8 Aug 2022 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nipabe said..
..the BSC is a very moderate and stable wing...with 1600scm and a upper mid ratio ..you can ride it up from 4bft to upper 5/lower 6ft and never feel that the foil is riding you... but for sure, the end speed is slow compared to HPS oder ART foils....is moderate wing with good glide and which will help you to learn jibs and tacks very easy... and it is a good SUP foil for for small surf or havy rider...even connecting waves works fine...it is not very turny but a kind of longboard style... so, it depends actually very much on your experience ...I am pretty sure that the BSC 970 is much more forgiving than the PNG 910 - which could be the next step on the BSC 970...

Thanks Nipabe.
I will probably get the HPS. And the slower ones for SUP surf foiling.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Axis 970 BSC or 910 PNG" started by Seajuice