Forums > Wing Foiling General

Axis BCS 1060 ... what's next?

Created by excav8ter 1 month ago, 17 May 2022
excav8ter
410 posts
17 May 2022 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hi gang. I bought an Axis BCS 1060 with the 400 rear stab last fall. I haven't been on more than a few times, due to a neck issue. Even though I am still a beginner, my brain is wondering what the next foil to get would be. I am currently thinking of getting a front foil to maximize my lighter wind wingfoil time. Say down around the 10+ mph range. Is there a better foil than the BCS 1060 for that? Then, as I improve, is there something else I should be considering? I'm basically looking to get out and learn to ride some waves and swell. Mainly offshore at this point.

Me: 6'4", 225lbs. 53 years old.
Gear: 5'8" Axis Froth 120L

8.0 CWW Strike
6.0 Duotone Unit V2
4.4 Slingshot V2

Thanks!

Dcharlton
205 posts
18 May 2022 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

The BSC1060 is a great starter wing with plenty of lift. Rather than go bigger, I would actually look at a smaller wings or faster wings like the HPS line. I'm 95kg and went from the BSC1060 to the HPS1050 (GREAT Wing, fast!) and the 890BSC for higher winds.

Your eyes will really open up to the faster wings and how much easier it is to hit jybes when on them vs. the slower BSC1060. Just my own experience.

DC

excav8ter
410 posts
18 May 2022 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dcharlton said..
The BSC1060 is a great starter wing with plenty of lift. Rather than go bigger, I would actually look at a smaller wings or faster wings like the HPS line. I'm 95kg and went from the BSC1060 to the HPS1050 (GREAT Wing, fast!) and the 890BSC for higher winds.

Your eyes will really open up to the faster wings and how much easier it is to hit jybes when on them vs. the slower BSC1060. Just my own experience.

DC

I'll be honest, I'm not looking to go too fast yet. I know speed is eventually going to feel better once I get more comfortable.

I also only have the S series fuselages.

Youngbreezy
WA, 851 posts
18 May 2022 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..
Hi gang. I bought an Axis BCS 1060 with the 400 rear stab last fall. I haven't been on more than a few times, due to a neck issue. Even though I am still a beginner, my brain is wondering what the next foil to get would be. I am currently thinking of getting a front foil to maximize my lighter wind wingfoil time. Say down around the 10+ mph range. Is there a better foil than the BCS 1060 for that? Then, as I improve, is there something else I should be considering? I'm basically looking to get out and learn to ride some waves and swell. Mainly offshore at this point.

Me: 6'4", 225lbs. 53 years old.
Gear: 5'8" Axis Froth 120L

8.0 CWW Strike
6.0 Duotone Unit V2
4.4 Slingshot V2

Thanks!

If you're looking to extend your light wind abilities you already have the gear for it just gotta put in more time. Between the 8m CWC and 1060 BSC those are already almost the biggest wing/foil combo out there. Maybe the 1150 PNG or the next size up BSC would make a difference but probably only a small amount.

Light wind isn't easy and getting good technique does take time. Sounds like you've already got the right gear just gotta get out there and slog around in light wind, get out consistently and work on technique. You will get a lot more efficient and improve low end as you get better.

I am 6'3" and 100kg/220 pounds if I had your quiver the next item I would add would be an HPS 980 its a nice fast wing that has great top end, respectable low end and great range for a heavier rider. The 980 is my go to for sup and wing foiling.

martyj4
423 posts
18 May 2022 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

My take on this and Im no expert. 52 years old. 70 kg and 175cm. Winging for a little over a year now.
I learned winging with the BSC 1060. Got me going in near 10 knots. Very predictable and good fun.
Bought a PNG 1300 about 6 months ago and it's definitely got a little bit more bottom end. Not much but a bit. So in 9-10 knots I can get going. And I think the stall speed might be a touch lower as well. But it's a big expense to maybe drop your minimum flying wind speed by a knot?
Trade off is the 1300 is a little slower and less manouverable. But speed is something like 16 km/h average on the BSC compared with 14-15 km/h on the PNG. PNG feels a bit more pumpable though.
One of the things that I think (and feel free others to disagree here) helps my minimum wind flying speed is a bigger rear wing. I've used the GAP 390 and it gives a looser feel, but not as much lift when trying to pump up in light conditions as the 500 rear foil that I have. The 500 feels more locked in but provides a bigger platform to pump against and seems to assist me getting flying in the light stuff. I have access to 2 different 500 rear wings (one mine, the other a friends). The 500 Freeride carbon rear wing and the 500 Anhedral freeride rear wing. The 500 Freeride feels a little more locked in and maybe a touch better for pumping up. The Anhedral is also very good, but has a slightly (teensy bit) 'looser' feel in my books?
I'd consider looking at trying out a bigger rear wing to see if what I'm saying applies to you. It might make a cheaper option to begin with before potentially unloading loot on a front foil that may not have as significant a difference?? If you could borrow a friends first and see what that does, it would be a good experiment I think.

martyj4
423 posts
18 May 2022 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

I'll just add that I have also got a 999 ART but I'm too much of a muppet to be able to use it anywhere near to even it's partial potential. It has amazing glide but you require a different pump to get the thing to fly in light winds. I can't get it running in less than 12 knots. It's a scream when up and going though. Flies through the lulls really well and you can pump it from gust to gust. Can do that with the 1300 PNG too, but you really notice the drag.
So for really low winds (9-12 knots) I'll choose the PNG 1300. Above that, the ART and I'll expect to spend lots of time IN water, not on water.
Lots of options. The ART is something I want to grow into, but I've got a lot of growing to do. And the ART requires a black fuse. Not compatible with the red fuse.

pitbulldoug
95 posts
18 May 2022 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

At your weight similar to mine easy decision HPS 1050 with P375 -P425 rear all day long ??

gneve
41 posts
18 May 2022 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
martyj4 said..
My take on this and Im no expert. 52 years old. 70 kg and 175cm. Winging for a little over a year now.
I learned winging with the BSC 1060. Got me going in near 10 knots. Very predictable and good fun.
Bought a PNG 1300 about 6 months ago and it's definitely got a little bit more bottom end. Not much but a bit. So in 9-10 knots I can get going. And I think the stall speed might be a touch lower as well. But it's a big expense to maybe drop your minimum flying wind speed by a knot?
Trade off is the 1300 is a little slower and less manouverable. But speed is something like 16 km/h average on the BSC compared with 14-15 km/h on the PNG. PNG feels a bit more pumpable though.
One of the things that I think (and feel free others to disagree here) helps my minimum wind flying speed is a bigger rear wing. I've used the GAP 390 and it gives a looser feel, but not as much lift when trying to pump up in light conditions as the 500 rear foil that I have. The 500 feels more locked in but provides a bigger platform to pump against and seems to assist me getting flying in the light stuff. I have access to 2 different 500 rear wings (one mine, the other a friends). The 500 Freeride carbon rear wing and the 500 Anhedral freeride rear wing. The 500 Freeride feels a little more locked in and maybe a touch better for pumping up. The Anhedral is also very good, but has a slightly (teensy bit) 'looser' feel in my books?
I'd consider looking at trying out a bigger rear wing to see if what I'm saying applies to you. It might make a cheaper option to begin with before potentially unloading loot on a front foil that may not have as significant a difference?? If you could borrow a friends first and see what that does, it would be a good experiment I think.

I'm 70-72kg and I, too, learned on the BSC1060 with the 400 freeride tail. I graduated to the BSC890 and recently moved to the ART999 for decent wind. The 1060 is a light wind machine. Not fast. Not as much glide as the 890 or 999 but very stable. I have been temped to sell it as the low end of my 890 is surprisingly low. I did take it out last weekend in a marginal (8-10kt) day with the 460 rear and it was so solid and predictable.

As earlier folks have stated, speed helps with jibes as you essentially have more time to complete your turn and pass the wing. If you're going slow, less time.

The 460 rear added even more low end so I do think a big rear tail makes a difference.

Dcharlton
205 posts
18 May 2022 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pitbulldoug said..
At your weight similar to mine easy decision HPS 1050 with P375 -P425 rear all day long ??

Another vote for pitbulldoug, the HPS1050 will be a game changer for you. I know it requires a black fuse but you'll continue to buy wings for the black fuse going forward. I get that speed isn't the goal here, if it were, none of us would be winging. What I do find is that speed gives me an edge for hitting Jibes which I struggle doing on the 1060BSC but can do much more readily with the HPS1050. It aslo gives you more of a lively, fun, playful feeling. It's very tough to go back to the 1060BSC after you've been on the 1050HPS.

DC

excav8ter
410 posts
22 May 2022 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dcharlton said..

pitbulldoug said..

Another vote for pitbulldoug, the HPS1050 will be a game changer for you. I know it requires a black fuse but you'll continue to buy wings for the black fuse going forward. I get that speed isn't the goal here, if it were, none of us would be winging. What I do find is that speed gives me an edge for hitting Jibes which I struggle doing on the 1060BSC but can do much more readily with the HPS1050. It aslo gives you more of a lively, fun, playful feeling. It's very tough to go back to the 1060BSC after you've been on the 1050HPS.

DC

Given that I still consider myself to be a beginner, what windspeed could I expect to begin to use the HPS 1050? I am ok with buying multiple wings once I get better. And I realize that as I improve I will probably use one wing more than the others, and the bigger wings will collect dust or get sold off
All this being said, I think I bought a BCS1120 this morning. Hoping it will get me out sooner. I couldn't pass up the price on it.

PKenny
SA, 214 posts
22 May 2022 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..

Dcharlton said..

pitbulldoug said..

DC

Given that I still consider myself to be a beginner, what windspeed could I expect to begin to use the HPS 1050? I am ok with buying multiple wings once I get better. And I realize that as I improve I will probably use one wing more than the others, and the bigger wings will collect dust or get sold off
All this being said, I think I bought a BCS1120 this morning. Hoping it will get me out sooner. I couldn't pass up the price on it.

I had my first go on the HPS 1050 in light winds a couple of weeks ago. And was pleasantly surprised at the wind strength I could foil easily in 12-13kts. But the biggest surprise was the HPS880 probably only 16-18kts.
One good thing about the 1050. It doesn't want to launch and breach when overpowered. It will still breach if you let it but the foil gives you plenty of time to adjust.

Me 95kg somewhere between beginner and intermediate. Foiling toeside out of a few Gybes.
Board 125lt
Wing Starboard Airush 6m.
Stab. 420 speed.
Squally day between 5-25kts.

As DC says. I don't you can go wrong with the HPS range

excav8ter
410 posts
22 May 2022 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PKenny said..

excav8ter said..

Dcharlton said..

pitbulldoug said..

DC

I had my first go on the HPS 1050 in light winds a couple of weeks ago. And was pleasantly surprised at the wind strength I could foil easily in 12-13kts. But the biggest surprise was the HPS880 probably only 16-18kts.
One good thing about the 1050. It doesn't want to launch and breach when overpowered. It will still breach if you let it but the foil gives you plenty of time to adjust.

Me 95kg somewhere between beginner and intermediate. Foiling toeside out of a few Gybes.
Board 125lt
Stab. 420 speed.

Nice. I will probably check and see if they have an HPS1050 to try or buy.

rfh
14 posts
22 May 2022 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..

PKenny said..

excav8ter said..

Dcharlton said..

pitbulldoug said..

DC

Board 125lt
Stab. 420 speed.

I'm close to your size and have own the 1120/1060/1150/910 and now 1300/1050/1099. I sold my larger bsc foils as they are really not the best for wing-foiling (maybe good in the surf). The supreme light wind foil is definitely the 1300. Gets on foil the same as the 1150, but better glide thru the lulls, faster and points up wind better. For more wind, 1050 is a great transition into the faster higher performance foils. I found it to be very user friendly. I have had a bunch of rear wings but now pretty much stick with the 425p and 375p for really pumping days.

rfh
14 posts
22 May 2022 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..

PKenny said..

excav8ter said..

Dcharlton said..

pitbulldoug said..

DC

Board 125lt
Stab. 420 speed.

I'm close to your size and have own the 1120/1060/1150/910 and now 1300/1050/1099. I sold my larger bsc foils as they are really not the best for wing-foiling (maybe good in the surf). The supreme light wind foil is definitely the 1300. Gets on foil the same as the 1150, but better glide thru the lulls, faster and points up wind better. For more wind, 1050 is a great transition into the faster higher performance foils. I found it to be very user friendly. I have had a bunch of rear wings but now pretty much stick with the 425p and 375p for really pumping days.

Icebergmansion
26 posts
23 May 2022 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

You've already got a great lightwind/beginner setup! Just keep winging and then get another setup for when you are advanced or in higher winds like HPS880 or HPS930 (or PNG910 allows you to stay with red fuse).

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Axis BCS 1060 ... what's next?" started by excav8ter