Forums > Wing Foiling General

Hps 930 &375 progressive help .

Created by rgmacca A week ago, 2 Aug 2022
rgmacca
264 posts
2 Aug 2022 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi
ive just got the HOS 930 &375 progressive stab. was riding Naish HA1400 set up.
riding a Naish 95, and mast foot about 15mm from back of box.
I was out to day in not very nice conditions, gusty plus swell.(first go of it)
I found it really difficult to get on foil, typical breach stall heading out into swell. went better coming back managed to get on foil a few times, but still tricky. old set up I could get on foil really quickly, couple of pumps or point and shoot.
I had a really difficult session, felt like a learner again. :(

any advice appreciated please. thanks in advance.

KarlLQ
36 posts
3 Aug 2022 2:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hi
I had the same experience with exactly the same foil set up and board on my first sessions.

My next few sessions were on relatively calm surface conditions and I figured out how to get speed up to get foiling.

Now I can get it going in gusty and rough conditions no problem.

Hope that helps.

stanley71
WA, 182 posts
3 Aug 2022 5:13AM
Thumbs Up

Not the same size but I moved from Naish HA1040 to Unifoil Hyper 170 and now been testing the HPS830/375 over past week in light to current 25-35knt gusting storm in WA. All relatively the same size with the Naish HA1040 slightly higher AR. The Axis rides, glides and turns amazing but to get started pumping it does need to be pointed a little bit more downwind vs. the other two in my use own use case and pump technique. Hope this helps mate.

rgmacca
264 posts
3 Aug 2022 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KarlLQ said..
Hi
I had the same experience with exactly the same foil set up and board on my first sessions.

My next few sessions were on relatively calm surface conditions and I figured out how to get speed up to get foiling.

Now I can get it going in gusty and rough conditions no problem.

Hope that helps.

Thanks appreciate it, flat water spot tomorrow for some practice.

rgmacca
264 posts
3 Aug 2022 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stanley71 said..
Not the same size but I moved from Naish HA1040 to Unifoil Hyper 170 and now been testing the HPS830/375 over past week in light to current 25-35knt gusting storm in WA. All relatively the same size with the Naish HA1040 slightly higher AR. The Axis rides, glides and turns amazing but to get started pumping it does need to be pointed a little bit more downwind vs. the other two in my use own use case and pump technique. Hope this helps mate.

When I got it on foil it was super fast, loved it.
I think I was not pointing down wind that much, when the gusts came they were heavy and default for me is more cross wind. Coming back on swell was better and that's prob as running down wind a bit more.

thanks for the input.

Piros
QLD, 6456 posts
3 Aug 2022 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Axis foils have a bit of sea saw launch , they come up quick and then you need to stomp on the front foot like balancing on a sea saw to keep on the foil , if you miss that initial lift or lean back it will stall , you quickly get used to it.

warwickl
NSW, 1913 posts
3 Aug 2022 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Axis foils have a bit of sea saw launch , they come up quick and then you need to stomp on the front foot like balancing on a sea saw to keep on the foil , if you miss that initial lift or lean back it will stall , you quickly get used to it.

I only experience that if board speed is too slow and/or mast is too far forward.
I have the 930 HPS, 1099 and 899 ARTs and use the 350p stab, each front wing requires a different mast positions.

rgmacca
264 posts
4 Aug 2022 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..

Piros said..

I only experience that if board speed is too slow and/or mast is too far forward.
I have the 930 HPS, 1099 and 899 ARTs and use the 350p stab, each front wing requires a different mast positions.

What is your method for getting on foil in light winds with the 930.
I was out today on flat water and got it working really nicely. Only issue Is I don't have the light wind technique dialled yet. Still feel like it's wanting to beach/stall. I'm really having to load front leg which is taking some adjusting to.
thanks.

warwickl
NSW, 1913 posts
4 Aug 2022 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

What works for me at 76kg and not a naturally skilled wingfoiler.
I have 5.5 Duotone dlab, 930 HPS with 350p stab on the shortest black fuselage.
I can get up on the foil in less than 10kn on flat lake water. My mast position is about midway in the track on my Fanatic 105l TE board.
My technique is to pump for maximum board speed before trying to release the board from the water. The combination of board speed and release happens quickly. My pumping technique is a semi pull down and back of the wing and not stopping until full speed foiling. The mistake I previously made was to stop pumping the windwing which would cause the issues you are having so keep pumping.

halfwaythere
17 posts
4 Aug 2022 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..

Piros said..

@warwickl, when do you use the 930 rather than the 1099. Overall wondering what role hps plays in a wing quiver. In other words, why not just the ARTs? Thx

warwickl
NSW, 1913 posts
4 Aug 2022 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

I have 740 and 810 BCS, 930 HPS, 899 and 1099 ARTs and have used all windwing. I bought the 740 for kite foiling however it's fantastic for windwing as well, the 810 for light wind kite foiling and turbulent messy water but a good around wing.
Love all my wings.
However, if I was only to have one combination it would be the 930 HPS with 350p stab.
Having said that currently the 899 ART is my favourite from 11,12 kn wind upwards.
The 1099 is excellent light wind and fantastic however, I need to commit more for jybing and frequency fail but getting there.
My next acquisition will be an Advanced fuselage and expect it will work well with the 1099.
While I continue to incrementally make progress turning 76 next month is my excuse for my skills.

rgmacca
264 posts
5 Aug 2022 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
I have 740 and 810 BCS, 930 HPS, 899 and 1099 ARTs and have used all windwing. I bought the 740 for kite foiling however it's fantastic for windwing as well, the 810 for light wind kite foiling and turbulent messy water but a good around wing.
Love all my wings.
However, if I was only to have one combination it would be the 930 HPS with 350p stab.
Having said that currently the 899 ART is my favourite from 11,12 kn wind upwards.
The 1099 is excellent light wind and fantastic however, I need to commit more for jybing and frequency fail but getting there.
My next acquisition will be an Advanced fuselage and expect it will work well with the 1099.
While I continue to incrementally make progress turning 76 next month is my excuse for my skills.

Congratulations on 76, that's awesome. Makes my 58 seem like a wee boy. re pumping, do you pump the board aggressively as well. My problem is board rears up then stalls far to quickly. I have mast right at the back of box in Naish 95. Feet in comfortable position on deck when on foil.
I can get up on foil no probs when powered and board builds speed staying level. it's the stalling that annoys me. A lot to learn again. once on foil it feels great. thanks for help.

warwickl
NSW, 1913 posts
5 Aug 2022 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

RGM

Key is board speed and keep pumping until at full speed foiling when light wind

warwickl
NSW, 1913 posts
5 Aug 2022 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
RGM

Another thought, do you have the shim fitted to the stabiliser?
If so remove it.

rgmacca
264 posts
6 Aug 2022 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..

warwickl said..
RGM

Another thought, do you have the shim fitted to the stabiliser?
If so remove it.

No shims fitted.
thanks.

rgmacca
264 posts
7 Aug 2022 5:04AM
Thumbs Up

Quick update. I have a Takoon s450 stab which I managed to fit. foil feels a lot easier to get going, less rise and stall. Feels a much nicer set up for me, think I will use the Takoon stab to help build the technique. thanks for all the input guys appreciate it.

DWF
381 posts
7 Aug 2022 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwicki said..
My next acquisition will be an Advanced fuselage..

I'd be curious to hear how you get along with the +40 fuse. I'm 68 yrs old. For me, it only took ten minutes to reject it. I'm too old for that ****. Like riding on a squirrels back.

It's awesome Axis has the option though. I feel bad for anyone my age riding a brand with only the riding a squirrels back option.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Hps 930 &375 progressive help ." started by rgmacca