Forums > Wing Foiling General

Naish 2019 hover 135

Created by warwickl A week ago, 9 Jun 2021
warwickl
NSW, 1689 posts
9 Jun 2021 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Any comments on the 2019 Naish 135 Hover (the one with narrow channel down the centre) dedicated foil board for very light wind windwing on flat water?
Any idea of its weight?
I am 76kg and very average windwinger so looking for good board speed to get up on the foil in light wind and easy slog to get back to shore.
Thanks

DavidJohn
VIC, 16735 posts
9 Jun 2021 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Great board.. I had the bigger 150L version..

It's not super light but I wouldn't say it's heavy..

Should work well for you..

Lago
12 posts
9 Jun 2021 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
Any comments on the 2019 Naish 135 Hover (the one with narrow channel down the centre) dedicated foil board for very light wind windwing on flat water?
Any idea of its weight?
I am 76kg and very average windwinger so looking for good board speed to get up on the foil in light wind and easy slog to get back to shore.
Thanks

I can't say anything about the naish boards, but with only 76 kg 135 l seems big. You will outgrow it super fast, especially if you allread know how to foil.
I am 68 kg and started with 90 l. Never felt, that I would need a bigger board.

LeeD
2835 posts
10 Jun 2021 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

I also am wondering how a 122 Naish Hover would work for wingfoil.
Maybe have close to 175 days windfoil already on it, half with a 600 foil, half with the 1220.
Getting rid of the sail rig...22 lbs...should I move the foil forward?

LeeD
2835 posts
10 Jun 2021 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

I don't want another board, I already windsurf 90 days a year, windfoil 30, and still have 5 surfboards.

wingsup
14 posts
10 Jun 2021 4:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
Any idea of its weight?
Thanks

The 2019 135L was my first board. My experience was just SUP. Slogging is super easy at 7'6", the board is so stable, you can use the board to learn the wing and turn with your feet. I learned how to foil with this board, with no lessons or time behind a boat. I believe you get up on the foil with a board this long by having a big enough wing and foil then wind speed. Pumping technique is ineffective with a board this long and certainly not something I did when I had the board. Once I was able to foil straight, I didn't feel comfortable trying tack/gybes; I would drop down, turn the board with the feet then get back on the foil. For me this was great fun and excellent learning. Once I went to a smaller Naish 5'10" 110L Hover, I no longer want to use the 7'6" board for winging.

I SUP on the board with just a 55-inch mast and no foil a couple of times, and I think it would be great to learn how to SUP foil or learn how to downwind.

I was 6 foot 86 kg when I got the board. Now 79 kg. I think at 76 kg, you will grow out of the board fast. If you can get it cheap and want to SUP/Downwind, then sure, but maybe try to look for 125 or 110 hover boards. The 110L hover I found very stable and could slog turn the board with my feet fine. Granted, I had a lot of experience first on the 135, but at 76 kg you would likely be okay starting with a 5'10" 110L Hover.

warwickl
NSW, 1689 posts
10 Jun 2021 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the comments.
I should have said I already ride a 95l Fanatic for windwing but on very light wind days with short periods of no wind things get hard.
A fellow windwinger at over 100kg in light conditions rides an 8 ft x 33in wide 150l Naish very successfully. He gets good board speed to foil and jybes easily in less than 10kn. He also cruises around at non foiling speeds to get back to shore easily.
I am looking to follow his success scaled down to my 76kg for lake conditions.
I would love a 7ft plus version of my 95l Fanatic.

Grantmac
830 posts
10 Jun 2021 6:51AM
Thumbs Up

Since this has evolved into a conversation about bigger wing boards, does anyone think there is a merit to a longer/bigger board for slog and ride wave conditions where you don't have enough wind to foil out but you use the wing to foil the wave heading back?
I have a side-shore spot that would fall within this category which I currently windSUP, might try windfoil (WWF style using my windSUP) and/or possibly wing on the same board in the future.

Obviously if a person was skilled enough to gybe and tack 100% foiling with the wing this wouldn't matter but I'm definitely not that guy in the same way as slog and ride with a windsurf waveboard is mostly beyond my skill.

LeeD
2835 posts
10 Jun 2021 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Me no expert,but slogging out on wing seems much harder than ogling out on sail and floaty board
Just beachstarting is easier, as well as carrying g rig to thigh depths.
And punching thru whitewater, you have the boom to hold onto, connected to board.
Plus the option to uphaul or waterstart.

LeeD
2835 posts
10 Jun 2021 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

Plus you windsurf better than you wing.

wingsup
14 posts
10 Jun 2021 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
I should have said I already ride a 95l Fanatic for windwing but on very light wind days with short periods of no wind things get hard.
A fellow windwinger at over 100kg in light conditions rides an 8 ft x 33in wide 150l Naish very successfully. He gets good board speed to foil and jybes easily in less than 10kn. He also cruises around at non foiling speeds to get back to shore easily.

maybe the 2019 7' 95 Naish Hover 95 SUP if you get it used. www.kingofwatersports.com/product/naish-hover-95-sup-foilboard-2019/naish-hover-95-2019-sup-foilboard

but I expect that a 6 SUP foil starting/wing board that is thin, with some volume would work well for you.

the www.fanatic.com/foil/boards/sup/sky-sup-foil-ltd 6'3" 106L
the 6.0 AK Phazer board. 6'0 28.5 120 L

For me, the 5'10" Hover was great for slogging. The current 5'7" 95L Hover takes a little more balance, but I can slog turn the board with my feet at 6'0" 79 kg. I bought the 95L fanatic for my next board after the Hover 135. It was too frustrating to balance on that board that I sold it and went for the Hover 110L. I then put 60 plus sessions on the 110L before going to the 5'7" 95L Hover; it was an easy transition for me. I wonder how much the reduced weight and skill experience have helped for my second attempt on a 95L board or if the different shape extra 3 inches of the board helps with balance. Sure it's a combination.

warwickl
NSW, 1689 posts
Sunday , 13 Jun 2021 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wingsup said..

warwickl said..

maybe the 2019 7' 95 Naish Hover 95 SUP if you get it used. www.kingofwatersports.com/product/naish-hover-95-sup-foilboard-2019/naish-hover-95-2019-sup-foilboard

but I expect that a 6 SUP foil starting/wing board that is thin, with some volume would work well for you.

the www.fanatic.com/foil/boards/sup/sky-sup-foil-ltd 6'3" 106L
the 6.0 AK Phazer board. 6'0 28.5 120 L

For me, the 5'10" Hover was great for slogging. The current 5'7" 95L Hover takes a little more balance, but I can slog turn the board with my feet at 6'0" 79 kg. I bought the 95L fanatic for my next board after the Hover 135. It was too frustrating to balance on that board that I sold it and went for the Hover 110L. I then put 60 plus sessions on the 110L before going to the 5'7" 95L Hover; it was an easy transition for me. I wonder how much the reduced weight and skill experience have helped for my second attempt on a 95L board or if the different shape extra 3 inches of the board helps with balance. Sure it's a combination.

Hi Wingsup
Please tell me a bit more about your experience with the Hover 135, eg does it have good board speed on the water and stability, does it release from the water easily, what foil did you use with it, is it heavy ie over 9kg, any negatives?
Thanks Warwick

LeeD
2835 posts
Monday , 14 Jun 2021 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

My 122 Hover weighs right at 20 lbs.
But the old Naish foil adds another 13 lbs.
Maybe with the 600 wing I lose 3 lbs., but that is a bit small for wingfoiling.
The abrasive deck is hard on wetsuits.

wingsup
14 posts
Monday , 14 Jun 2021 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

The Hover 135 is super stable. You don't have to knee start, just stand and pull the wing up to start. I learned to foil with it using 2020 Naish 2000 front foil and 65 and 75 masts. It releases from the water with speed, and when the wind got strong enough. It does slog super well with light wind. I think it does slog faster that my smaller board, but I never did a direct comparison or close enough back to back session.

I did think the board was impressively light for it size but I don't have enough experience.

I sold the board last month, I was keeping it to learn how to SUP foil but I didn't want to use it for light Winging, and I was able to get a used 6'6" 132L Armstrong board which takes up less space in the garage and is lighter for close to what I sold the Hover 135 for. I might try that board for light wind winging. I've only used the 6'6" Armstrong board once to SUP paddle, and it was slightly more difficult to paddle straight than the hover 135. I really want to wing first than my goal was to try SUP foiling.

For light wind winging, the hover 135 may work. Certainly you would feel stable/safe, slog in very low wind, but up on the foil you truly will experience "swing weight" with such a long board. I don't have enough experience with other boards to really provide much info.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Naish 2019 hover 135" started by warwickl