Forums > Wing Foiling General

Takuma Kujira Helium 1500 Foil Set

Created by foilthegreats > 9 months ago, 3 Jun 2021
foilthegreats
542 posts
3 Jun 2021 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

This thing is looking like the 1 foil quiver killer. Price looks great at 1K USD. Interested to hear what people think.

takuma.com/en/foils/224-kujira-helium-1500.html

Also anyone know if the mast is still interchangeable with Naish?!?

gorgesailor
598 posts
4 Jun 2021 3:42AM
Thumbs Up

Since no one else has answered... Naish & Takuma were compatible in the earlier versions but the Helium uses the 2021 mast/fuse/top plate which is a bit wider cord than the 2019/20, so I don't think it is compatible with Naish - unless Naish has also changed their mast dims.

Hadou
6 posts
15 Jun 2021 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Takuma sended one to me for review and my first feelings are great !
it's pretty fast for a "big foil". it 's glide is crazy. i use to review the regular Kujira on youtube (980/1210 mainly) and was already amazed by their carving ability and glide. It's a dockstarting beast and i will write my feedbacks as soon as i use it on a surffoil also.

Mast and fuselage are the 2021 , stiffer than 2020 but for me it's not copatible with old naish and Gong Masts unfortunately.

If you want more infos / pics on this foil and you read french a little bit ;-)

since i m new on the forum i cannot post any link
i made an article with pics / unboxing video of the foil and we also have a french topic on a forum dedicated to the helium...

Hadou
6 posts
15 Jun 2021 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Takuma sended one to me for review and my first feelings are great !
it's pretty fast for a "big foil". it 's glide is crazy. i use to review the regular Kujira on youtube (980/1210 mainly) and was already amazed by their carving ability and glide. It's a dockstarting beast and i will write my feedbacks as soon as i use it on a surffoil also.

Mast and fuselage are the 2021 , stiffer than 2020 but for me it's not copatible with old naish and Gong Masts unfortunately.

i made an article with pics / unboxing video of the foil and we also have a french topic on a forum dedicated to the helium...

dejavu
812 posts
15 Jun 2021 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hadou -- I watch pretty much all of your videos but google translate is usually unreliable. Any chance of doing a short English summary at the end of your videos or a separate English version?

You cover some really interesting equipment and have the skills to test the equipment to its limits. I just wish I didn't feel I was missing some of your conclusions.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to more of your posts.

mcrt
611 posts
15 Jun 2021 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
Hadou -- I watch pretty much all of your videos but google translate is usually unreliable. Any chance of doing a short English summary at the end of your videos or a separate English version?

You cover some really interesting equipment and have the skills to test the equipment to its limits. I just wish I didn't feel I was missing some of your conclusions.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to more of your posts.

+1

dejavu
812 posts
16 Jun 2021 5:28AM
Thumbs Up

A little off topic -- here's an interesting review and comparison of many of the best known high performance foils available right now:

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
16 Jun 2021 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Nice review. The characteristics of his fav the takuma sound a lot like what I enjoy about the Armstrong 1250.

JuriM
92 posts
5 Jul 2021 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hadou said..

Hello Hadou! Fortunately I learned French as a kid and haven't forgotten all of it yet, so I'm able to watch French Youtube channels and read forums without translation.

Here's the Helium post on your forum: www.pimpyourride.fr/forum-wingfoil/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=221

I look forward to watching your full review, but the comments you posted on the forum are promising.

I couldn't resist, so I ordered a Helium at a local shop last week. They seem pretty confident about getting stock on August 1st. Dominic Hoskyns' channel was also extremely inspiring and influenced my decision to get a Helium.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
10 Jul 2021 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Nice review. The characteristics of his fav the takuma sound a lot like what I enjoy about the Armstrong 1250.

Hi eppo, I owned a HS1250 before moving on to Kujira's 980 & 1210.

Imo the Armstrong 1250 and 1210 Kujira are worlds apart in both performance and ease of use.

But this is just my opinion .

kobo
NSW, 1069 posts
10 Jul 2021 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't ridden the Kujira 1210 so I have no idea what it is like , but I have ridden the HS1250 a bunch and there is also a world of difference between 1250 standard/60/232/0 and 1250 chopped/50/V200/+1. One day toppleover might let me try the Kujira and I'll know which world is best for me.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
10 Jul 2021 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
I haven't ridden the Kujira 1210 so I have no idea what it is like , but I have ridden the HS1250 a bunch and there is also a world of difference between 1250 standard/60/232/0 and 1250 chopped/50/V200/+1. One day toppleover might let me try the Kujira and I'll know which world is best for me.

Ok, I'll try your HA1125...need to arrange something next time I'm home mate.

dejavu
812 posts
13 Jul 2021 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Waiting for a review about the Kujira Helium 1500. Nice to see that the screws are pre-inserted so you know what goes where unlike the 980, 1210 and 1440. Love those foils! Cost me 1/2 what the Armstrongs cost where I am so I get twice as many foils for the same price.

JuriM
92 posts
14 Jul 2021 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

My Helium shipped today from the local warehouse, so I'm probably going to get it tomorrow or Thursday. They still have one in stock available immediately, in case you are looking for one:

heavylightstore.com/p109275/takuma-kujira-helium-1500

They seem to have pretty much worldwide delivery available.

If there's any interest, I can post total noob perspective impressions once I try it, although I'm not sure how much that's worth (i have only had one up and foiling winging session so far on my Slingshot i76 windfoil). July is the "windless month" in Finland, so we're probably only going to get 1-3 days per week with enough wind to even potentially ride up on the foil (and at my skill level, maybe 1/week).

foilthegreats
542 posts
14 Jul 2021 5:43AM
Thumbs Up

Let us know, looks like an amazing wing to learn and progress on.

JuriM
92 posts
16 Jul 2021 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

I got mine. I had to wait a bit today to pick it up, so I missed the best thermal winds and ended up trying it for about an hour in 9-12 knots of wind, which isn't enough to get foiling on a 5.0 Slick and my skill level. The weight difference compared to the Slingshot Infinity 76 is dramatic and makes a huge difference in how the board balances when I carry it from the handle. It was a "slogging session", but it felt like I had less drag and it was easier to pick up speed in the gusts. I had an unfortunate work meeting with an outside company this evening, so just as the wind started to pick up again, I had to pack up and go home. Now it's blowing 11-16 knots and I'm sitting at home... Next chance for wind is on Sunday (looks pretty good).

I think Hadou's video covers the hardware really well. It's all nicely thought out and engineered and fits together perfectly. It comes in a huge zippered box. The box is fine if you have the space for it and you're willing to detach the fuse and wings every time you pack up. I'll probably make my own wing covers soon. Also: it should be possible to reduce the size of the box and maybe even leave the stabilizer on the fuse between sessions and still fit it into the box (the stab is tiny and weighs nothing btw).

JuriM
92 posts
21 Jul 2021 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

We had great wind conditions on Sunday, but I felt it was a bit too much for learning winging, so I went windsurfing with a fin and 5.8 and had a blast...

Fast forward to today (Tuesday) and somehow the water temperature had plummeted (people were sailing in shorts on Sunday, but a 3/2mm full suit felt cold today). The wind was gusty, fluctuating between 10 and 20 knots to start with and averaging 14 knots with gusts of up to 27 knots a bit later. I was on the Slick 5.0, Tabou MC110 and Takuma Helium all the time. I felt it was easy to get the board going and foiling. I'm rather cautious and very much a beginner wingfoiler, so I mostly kept the board pretty close to surface. I was at least foil-planing on every single reach today.

I didn't breach/overfoil, but I stalled the wing a couple of times.

Aside from the really cold water, I'm quite happy with the session today and look forward to trying to fly a bit higher and faster when the wind is a bit less gusty.

JuriM
92 posts
23 Jul 2021 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

Slightly offshore wind at our spot means it's super gusty. The wind was between 10 and 30 knots today. I was on the same gear as before and again I was just "surviving" in the strong gusts, but I had some fun in between in the lulls, even getting to do some foil pumping to keep going. The 5.0 Slick was flapping like crazy in the 30 knot gusts.

BTW, the gust & average wind numbers are accurate to where I sail because we have our own station right on the water (1km from the beach where we launch). www.windguru.cz/station/2399

I'm hoping there will be enough wind this weekend to get on the foil, but not so much that I feel like I have to hold back a lot to stay safe. Forecast for Saturday is 14 knots average, 20 knot gusts, which seems about perfect. Sunday is forecasted to be a bit lighter (10 knot average with 14 knot gusts).

gorgesailor
598 posts
23 Jul 2021 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JuriM said..
Slightly offshore wind at our spot means it's super gusty. The wind was between 10 and 30 knots today. I was on the same gear as before and again I was just "surviving" in the strong gusts, but I had some fun in between in the lulls, even getting to do some foil pumping to keep going. The 5.0 Slick was flapping like crazy in the 30 knot gusts.

BTW, the gust & average wind numbers are accurate to where I sail because we have our own station right on the water (1km from the beach where we launch). www.windguru.cz/station/2399

I'm hoping there will be enough wind this weekend to get on the foil, but not so much that I feel like I have to hold back a lot to stay safe. Forecast for Saturday is 14 knots average, 20 knot gusts, which seems about perfect. Sunday is forecasted to be a bit lighter (10 knot average with 14 knot gusts).

You might try shimming down the stab to get less lift & move the Foil back in the tracks... I was having trouble keeping the helium in the water so did this & made a big difference...

Alysum
NSW, 1025 posts
23 Jul 2021 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

This foil looks great for beginners!

There seems to be a dedicated FB group for Takuma foils btw: www.facebook.com/groups/takumafoilriders

JuriM
92 posts
23 Jul 2021 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I think I'll wait until I have a bit more experience and have had a chance to ride the wing in the conditions that I actually got it for. To use it in really light winds though, I need to learn the basic technique in slightly more wind and then improve my pumping technique to "unlock" the full light wind potential.

I suspect the short fuselage and relatively small stabilizer foil require a bit more finesse, but at the same time unlock a whole lot of foil pumping potential.

I had the foil mast slightly forward of the center of the track - just about where the Takuma manual recommends. There's a Tabou video with Ross Williams where he recommends placing the foil mast all the way forward for winging on the Magic Carpet 110, which seems like an odd suggestion for a starting position (especially not even knowing what kind of wing the user will have).

JuriM
92 posts
11 Aug 2021 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hadou posted his Youtube review today:

dutchwing
1 posts
21 Aug 2021 3:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
just had a session with my new Kujira helium 1500,wind 15-20knts ,4m slick and Naish hover 110 S25
I like the lively feel of the foil but I had to apply a lot of front foot pressure to keep the foil from breaching
even with the foil way back I had to have my front foot in front of the footstrap inserts
is it possible that the foil not compatible is with my board?the newer naishboards have their foil tracks more to the back of the board.

any thoughts?

mcrt
611 posts
21 Aug 2021 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dutchwing said..
Hi,
just had a session with my new Kujira helium 1500,wind 15-20knts ,4m slick and Naish hover 110 S25
I like the lively feel of the foil but I had to apply a lot of front foot pressure to keep the foil from breaching
even with the foil way back I had to have my front foot in front of the footstrap inserts
is it possible that the foil not compatible is with my board?the newer naishboards have their foil tracks more to the back of the board.

any thoughts?

Yes, Takuma and Naish S25 have that problem with the strap inserts.
I have the 85 s25 and i have installed straps more forward.

I placed the foil with the KdMaui method and rode it strapless for a few sessions to find the sweet spot for front and back foot.

Actually i am still riding strapless due to a bad knee.

It is going to be way more forward than you think possible but it works great when you get used to it.
That pic is up on foil,see my front foot almost on the edge of the pad.
Makes the board feel super responsive.I am 1/3 from the back of the foil box,kujira 1210.

www.blueplanetsurf.com/blogs/news/foil-board-setup-tips-board-foil-foil-placement-fo/

JuriM
92 posts
21 Aug 2021 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

My front foot tends to be just behind where the mast track starts on the Magic Carpet 110. I guess riding strapless means I just find the good spot for my feet when I'm foiling. I have the foil mast close to the front of the track. The foil track position shouldn't really matter except when the board is still touching water. The right position should be one where the board releases from the water easily and also minimizes the amount of foot movement I need when going from non-foiling/pumping to foiling mode.

I haven't fully breached while foiling yet. I've had that "gurgling" feel/sound happen a few times when riding higher and I assume that's when the foil is close to the surface, but it's been easy enough to just let the board drop a bit and continue foiling as if nothing happened. I find that wingfoiling gives me so many more options to control ride height & power on the foil than windfoiling that it's really pretty easy to stay in the water - at least when riding in a straight line.

I can ride the foil as far as the wind will let me and space permits, which mean about 1-2km reaches in the bay until I need to turn. I think before I start learning foiling jibes, I want to work on getting a bit more speed first and also practice foot switches while riding foil. I'm a bit worried that the jibes will be a challenge for me. My windsurfing jibes have sucked this summer (at least relatively speaking for someone who has been windsurfing for over 40 years). I just need more confidence in my experience and skills and go for it...easier said than done.

We've had strong winds for the past week, so I have been on windsurfing gear and 4.5-5.0 sails. Eager to get back on the wing+foil to learn more, but I think today is most likely to be a day off (I've been on the water on 14 days out of 20 in August now), but that includes two winging sessions where I couldn't get foiling (but I did practice pumping).

dejavu
812 posts
17 Sep 2021 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Not the 1500 but the 1440 can be dock (ladder) started by the good pumpers who make it look easy -- if it looks easy you know the guy is good!

sunsetsailboards
442 posts
19 Sep 2021 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

eppo said..

Hi eppo, I owned a HS1250 before moving on to Kujira's 980 & 1210.

Imo the Armstrong 1250 and 1210 Kujira are worlds apart in both performance and ease of use.

But this is just my opinion .

a friend of mine did the same switch.... they way he put it to paraphrase: you know i smoke a lot of weed... I need a dope foil not a crack foil.

JuriM
92 posts
19 Sep 2021 4:22AM
Thumbs Up

BTW, the Takuma website says the ratio of the Helium front wing is 4.5. However, if the surface area is 1500 cm^2 and wing span is 91cm, then you get an aspect ratio of 91*91/1500 = 5.5. I think that's how most companies are calculating aspect ratio. Takuma is dividing chord length (202.2 mm) by wing span (910 mm) and gets almost exactly 4.5 that way, but that's not compatible with what others are doing.

Kujira 1440: 8.2
Kujira 1210: 7.2
Kujira 980: 6.5
Kujira 750: 6.1
Helium 1500: 5.5

For comparison, Slingshot Infinity 76 (my first foil for winging): 76*76/1534 = 3.8

(All aspect ratios rounded to one decimal.)

The last 15 times I have been on the water here have been with the Helium (and Slick 5.0). Given how much winging I've been doing, I found a place that had the 980+220 wing set in stock and ordered one. I think I'll have a few chances to try it out before the weather gets too cold for me. The 980 might still be a bit advanced for me (we'll see), but the back wing might be immediately useful. So many people with it and the Helium seem to prefer it over the standard Helium stab.

We have had unusually many days with gusty offshore winds. Back when I was just windsurfing, I would mostly just ignore them and pretend it's not windy, but with wingfoiling, I find the flat water and gusty/turbulent conditions are actually a fun combination. I still have so much to learn, which makes me want to go somewhere nice and warm this winter, but we'll see if I actually make that happen.

gyre
16 posts
15 Oct 2021 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

It looks like a 1750 Helium is starting to show up on some sites, along with a 500 Kujira that I don't recall seeing earlier - www.nausicaa.shop/produit/nouveaute/wingfoil/foil-wingfoil/takuma-2022-kujira-helium-1750

mcrt
611 posts
15 Oct 2021 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gyre said..
It looks like a 1750 Helium is starting to show up on some sites, along with a 500 Kujira that I don't recall seeing earlier - www.nausicaa.shop/produit/nouveaute/wingfoil/foil-wingfoil/takuma-2022-kujira-helium-1750

That could be a very nice wing for DW Supfoil, if i ever dare try it :)

Please Takuma,start selling foil wings,stabs,mast and fuses separately like everybody else.And with wing covers instead of the awful coffins.

dejavu
812 posts
18 Oct 2021 12:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JuriM said..
BTW, the Takuma website says the ratio of the Helium front wing is 4.5. However, if the surface area is 1500 cm^2 and wing span is 91cm, then you get an aspect ratio of 91*91/1500 = 5.5. I think that's how most companies are calculating aspect ratio. Takuma is dividing chord length (202.2 mm) by wing span (910 mm) and gets almost exactly 4.5 that way, but that's not compatible with what others are doing.

Kujira 1440: 8.2
Kujira 1210: 7.2
Kujira 980: 6.5
Kujira 750: 6.1
Helium 1500: 5.5

For comparison, Slingshot Infinity 76 (my first foil for winging): 76*76/1534 = 3.8

(All aspect ratios rounded to one decimal.)

Assuming the actual area of the foil is close the projected area then I agree with your aspect ratio for each wing.

Anyone know why projected area is provided rather than the actual area?

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Takuma Kujira Helium 1500 Foil Set" started by foilthegreats