Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

Is 95kgs+ like having leprosy?

Created by grumplestiltskin > 9 months ago, 9 Jul 2008
grumplestiltskin
WA, 2331 posts
9 Jul 2008 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at all the wavesailing equipment that is available, it seems that if you weigh more than 95kgs your treated like a leper (no one wants to know or touch you)

On a good high wind day, you would probably get away with an 84litre board, but on most med to high wind days you probably need 90+ litres.

Does anyone make top class wave boards for fat bastards?????

rooster
WA, 243 posts
9 Jul 2008 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

grumplestiltskin said...

Grumps just cause ya over 95kgs does not mean ya fat eitherAnyone who has met me would never say Im fat. But Im over 95.

Yes you can get good big guy boards. Exocet make a 105 litre 63ish wide wave board. But if you really want a proper big guy board get a custom. Stoney makes bigger wave boards. King of the point is a larger lad but rips like a pro on his stoney. OES south aus also do nice custom bigger boards.

Just cause ya heavier is no excuse not to be out there bashing lips(wave lips that is)

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
9 Jul 2008 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

I'm a fat bastart 98kg at the moment usually about 93ish. I use a 78litre fanatic freewave almost exlusively from 15knots up with a 5.4 on light wind days otherwise 5m from 20+ knots. If you sail real marginal wind for a fat bastard <15knots than you will need a big volume board or just go surfing.

I'm just getting out to catch waves though, if you want to jump my theory is sunk.

Also I sail cross to cross off 90% of the time

qldsalty
QLD, 299 posts
9 Jul 2008 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Starboard Evo 100
Starboard Kode 112. 102, 94
Jp Freestyle Wave 101, 107.

There's heaps around for heavy weights.

md74
QLD, 1064 posts
9 Jul 2008 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

hey mate im 94kg and hit the waves on a JP 109l freestyle wave, yes the board is a bit big, but our wind here on the goldy is so fickle I just simply prefer this volume, Im sure if the wind was a bit stronger and consistant here I would drop back to about 90l.

grumplestiltskin
WA, 2331 posts
9 Jul 2008 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, currently sitting on 100kg and I ride a 93l jp fsw, which works well.

I know there are options out there, its just that they dont really push it that hard.

My main gripe is with these twin fin thingos, not that I am really interested in them (or skilled enough) but it ****s me that only seem to go to about 82kgs.
Its like they are saying, "sorry dude, your too big .... go elsewhere"

anyway, I feel better that there are more of us out there than it seems

russh
SA, 3025 posts
9 Jul 2008 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

RRD 115 and Fanatic 113 freewaves look good and have normal fin systems - not tuttle (starboard) and the smaller boards always get a good review

at 92 + kg's I ride a 98 fanatic freewave and it's pretty good fun in small medium waves. EVO 92 in stronger wind - a fanatic 112 skate - planes on a puff with a 6.4 S2 severne, you can still ride it in the waves - up haul if necessary -just don't expect to bottom turm too hard or you'll - skate sideways - the 113 Fanatic Freewave/RRD would be pretty much perfect I reckon for a 100kg wave rider

then again your probably getting real waves not mid/south coast 1-3ft swill

Can't see myself on a 78L anything like Whyner - maybe 78L of beer

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
9 Jul 2008 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

weighed in this morning...4kgs off leper status....phew...

GOOD wave boards over the 90l seem to be rare,, and tend to be marketed (maybe made) as the lightwind wave boards for Mr Average 80kg...

it is possible to make big boards that rip for big blokes...e.g. Dunkerbeck.

customs could be the answer here,,, i know greg is happy with his XL stoney and your buddy hards likes his delta.

big twins will be rare , as they're new, cater for mr average first, if they take off, we might see twins for us chubbies when there out of fashion again.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
9 Jul 2008 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

I weigh 95kgs... like when Im carrying my 5 and 3 year olds

Pugwash
WA, 7671 posts
9 Jul 2008 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

I weigh 95kgs... like when I'm dehydrated

P.C_simpson
NSW, 1489 posts
10 Jul 2008 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

whyner said...

I'm a fat bastart 98kg at the moment usually about 93ish. I use a 78litre fanatic freewave almost exlusively from 15knots up with a 5.4 on light wind days otherwise 5m from 20+ knots. If you sail real marginal wind for a fat bastard <15knots than you will need a big volume board or just go surfing.

I'm just getting out to catch waves though, if you want to jump my theory is sunk.

Also I sail cross to cross off 90% of the time

but you are no ordinary man. your a wavesailing machine lol..

Yer all the boards are designed for little guys to rip and big guys to just be doing it. i find it hard at just under 90kgs to find a decent sized board like an 88 litre full wave board, i use a 84 Quatro and once the wind gets light on the inside i might as well head home. anything bigger tends to be in the wave/freestyle range, a few companies are doing 90 litres and even 100 litres but they tend to be real wide, the need to make them the same dimentions as say a 85 ish board that floats like a bigger board.

Leech
WA, 1933 posts
10 Jul 2008 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

grumplestiltskin said...

Yeah, currently sitting on 100kg and I ride a 93l jp fsw, which works well.

I know there are options out there, its just that they dont really push it that hard.

My main gripe is with these twin fin thingos, not that I am really interested in them (or skilled enough) but it ****s me that only seem to go to about 82kgs.
Its like they are saying, "sorry dude, your too big .... go elsewhere"

anyway, I feel better that there are more of us out there than it seems

Rider5' made himself a couple of larger twinnies and they go really well.

Paul
WA, 346 posts
10 Jul 2008 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Mistral do a 96 ltr full on wave (demo for sale at 2ndwind) and their new twin comes in 95 ltrs.

Star used to do a 94 ltr acid but now do evos 90 &100. Exocet still do big wave boards.

The problem is the bigger guys don't buy the boards, or the f/s/w sell more often, so the company's stop making the wave models. They are not going to keep making them year after year if no one wants to buy them.
If you always want to buy one 2nd hand someone has to have bought it new.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
10 Jul 2008 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Paul said...

The problem is the bigger guys don't buy the boards... so the company's stop making the wave models. They are not going to keep making them year after year if no one wants to buy them.
If you always want to buy one 2nd hand someone has to have bought it new.

Good point Paul
So all you fat bastards out there... go do some shopping
And by shopping I mean at a windsurfing shop... not the local bakery

JESUS
WA, 150 posts
10 Jul 2008 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

If you stopped eating excess food, you could save up all the money not spent on food and buy a new big board
But by then you'd be skinney so you wouldn't need to get a Lepers board just a normal board but at least it would be a new one.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
10 Jul 2008 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

I wouldn't say that Rooster is fat. In fact I'd say I'm a lot chubbier than he is, and I'm 85 kg's... but about a metre shorter!

Maybe heavier blokes just get better at sailing up to their waist. My 80 litre Acid slogs no worries, but try to tell a lighter bloke (70 kg's) that they would be fine with a 65 litre board and they'll look at you like you're from Mars.

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
14 Jul 2008 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

totally agree that board companies seem to have no idea when it comes to wave gear for lardy people... being a bit of a lard arse myself at the moment I have been shopping around for something a bit more floaty that's not a race machine.

The problem is that the higher volume wave boards you could buy in the past were half arsed attempts by the the board companies. The boards simply didn't work well. I mean just look at their team riders... most of them are feather weights like Kauli. Someone like Jason P is almost considered "fat" with his 80 kgs.

The only team rider that seems to be of normal height (ie over 6.4'') is Antoine Albeau ... apparently the Evo was modeled on his big board...

I got a 2008 FSW 92 which works fine for me in medium winds but just doesn't float me enough to go out in ultra light winds... might have to look at one those Kona boards...

stribo
QLD, 1628 posts
15 Jul 2008 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Just sail the late sesh Grumps.
At 95kgs i can sail a 70L board and a 4.5 in 25-30knts

grumplestiltskin
WA, 2331 posts
15 Jul 2008 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

stribo said...

Just sail the late sesh Grumps.
At 95kgs i can sail a 70L board and a 4.5 in 25-30knts

fair enough, maybe I need to give a smaller board a go.
I just have a dislike of slogging along with the water up around the gonads.

If you had boards for all conditions, you'd need to tow three bloody trailers

Leech
WA, 1933 posts
15 Jul 2008 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

normal height (ie over 6.4'')

oh no! I'm a midget!

Paul
WA, 346 posts
15 Jul 2008 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

I agree that some older boards did not go over too well with the bigger guys. But having said that I remember alot of positives from big guys about the naish floater from around 2000. I also remember watching a couple of plus size guys ripping green head on 95 ltr fanatics and mistrals in 2003. The latest Exocet 103 ish boards have had good vibes.

It seems that the bigger boards got a bad name by lighter guys trying to use them as light wind boards when they should have been thought of as a real wave model for the bigger guy. Then some cross over designs got slated by bigger guys as they didn't turn well enough. Granted that some wave models are a bit quirky or don't plane as well as the f/s/w models and most of the big guys come off freeride early planing boards and feel dissappointed when the wave boards don't get going with the same ease.

The latest crop of boards are all about the right size match up for a given sailor size rather than light wind boards for x weights. What does that mean? Well as a normal 80 kg sailors would have an 80-85 ltr wave board for main use, so a 95kg sailor should have a 90-95 ltr wave board for main use and the 100kg guy on the 100-105ltr boards.
The next size board up from your main board will always be a compromise in riding and planing ability because it is not the optimal size for performance for x kg sailors.

The Boards mag guys a year or so ago came up with the conclusion that for a given weight a sailor would have a two board wave quiver consisting of one traditional board and one new style stubbie, fish, etc of the same or near same volume just wider for the lighter conditions.

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
15 Jul 2008 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

105 kgs ........i look at 90% of wave boards and think nice shape but just to small unless it 25 plus knots solid.

Basically 1 litre for every kg to totally float......with your rig in no wind.

Twin fins the size of my thrusters on a 80 L board =

Custom board ....SSD......... YOUR VOLUME ,YOUR RAILS ,YOUR ROCKER , YOUR WEIGHT, YOUR STRENGTH ,YOUR FIN SET UP, YOUR FOOTSTRAP POSTIONS, YOUR MAST TRACK SPOT, YOUR SPRAY JOB......

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
15 Jul 2008 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

It looks like RRD might answer the call this year...the 2009 range sizes from them

Here is a complete list of all the wave models available for 2009:

Wave CULT HC 65 X-TECH 65 234 X 52
Wave CULT HC 70 X-TECH 70 234 X 53,5
Wave CULT HC 75 X-TECH 75 234 X 54,5
Wave CULT 75 X-TECH 75 234 X 55,5
Wave CULT 80 X-TECH 80 236 X 57
Wave CULT 85 X-TECH 85 238 X 59
Wave CULT 90 X-TECH 90 240 X 62

Wave TWIN 66 LTD 66 232 x 52,5
Wave TWIN 74 LTD 74 233 x 55
Wave TWIN 82 LTD 82 234 x 57,5
Wave TWIN 90 LTD 90 235 x 60
Wave TWIN LITEWIND 99 LTD 99 225 x 62

CD WAVE LTD 99 225 x 62

So a 99lt Wave Twin should keep the big blokes happy.

stribo
QLD, 1628 posts
15 Jul 2008 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Grumps i'll bring my 92L Evo down to smellville one day when its pumping and see how you go on that.They rip in the wavesDamn good fun..
But be warned different technique applies

Another thing to do is ..When summer arrives again...get up to Lano and hire some kit of Werner.You can mix and match and try out some of the latest larger volume waveys from starboard...No need to buy all boards for all conditions when there sitting on the beach ready to go for a modest fee Way cheaper in the end..
Second hand boards are worth jack schiddtt theses days when you want to update etc..

lanky
QLD, 213 posts
15 Jul 2008 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

I knw tabou has a 90+lt wave board!!

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
15 Jul 2008 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah the new Tabou Pocket Wave is now 93lt, and being that it is going to be 61cms wide it should get some of us bigger boned guys going pretty well. But the twins stop at 85Lt in the Tabou Range.

I have a Tabou 3S 107 arriving this week and will have a Pocket Wave 85 coming along fairly shortly. HMMMM I love new gear

sinker
WA, 255 posts
26 Jul 2008 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Grumps,

Just traded my Fanatic FW 96 for a JP 92 RWW........its unreal.

Don't take my word for it, take it for a ride next time you're down our way

hardie
WA, 4083 posts
26 Jul 2008 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

grumplestiltskin said...

Looking at all the wavesailing equipment that is available, it seems that if you weigh more than 95kgs your treated like a leper (no one wants to know or touch you)

On a good high wind day, you would probably get away with an 84litre board, but on most med to high wind days you probably need 90+ litres.

To me 95kg+ is the new Brad Pitt look!!!!!! The manufacturers just haven't caught on yet

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
26 Jul 2008 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

95kgs and I have an AHD 99ltr PittWave and it's awesome. It actually lets me waveride.

Can't remember the last time I used the 88 (probably 2 years) as I can handle the AHD (and the RRD before) in 25 knots+ (although I guess my riding would be better with a smaller board!!).

Crasher
WA, 69 posts
26 Jul 2008 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 117kgs , 2 44gallon drums on top of each other an ride a 85 ltre wave board 90 percent of the time. No probs. Just has to be 20knts before i go out. I do get pissed off when all the light weights r out there an its not windy enough for me. Then when its howling i don't seem to find them?

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
27 Jul 2008 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Crasher said...

I'm 117kgs , 2 44gallon drums on top of each other an ride a 85 ltre wave board 90 percent of the time. No probs. Just has to be 20knts before i go out. I do get pissed off when all the light weights r out there an its not windy enough for me. Then when its howling i don't seem to find them?

You should try a wave comp in 8 knots against people who weigh 60 kgs and are on 65 ltr waveboards!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Is 95kgs+ like having leprosy?" started by grumplestiltskin