Active Topics |  Search

Login or Register
Forums > Kitesurfing > Gear Reviews > 135 Sugarqube
Author 135 Sugarqube
Page: of 1
WA
153 Posts
Posted 24/11/2011, 7:07 am        Report
I took the demo board for a run recently and I must say I was impressed. I'm currently riding the North xride. I found the Sugarqube to be a little looser than the North. It's a very easy board to switch to toe on. The pop is a little less than the xride however the wave riding ability of the board was impressive. I found a liitle more weight on the back foot bought the full concave into effect and it was very precise and tracky on the face of the small 2-3 ft waves. Even the weight out a little and the board gets loose. Pads and straps are what you would expect. Nice soft pads and easily adjustable straps. No complaints in that department. The board planes quickly and doesn't throw any spray in your face. I think it's a good board for all levels however especially good as a entry level board due to the fact it planes easily and is loose when you want it to be. Makes it easy for new riders to learn toe side riding. This finish quality is smick. I gave it a 10 on build quality and I gave it a 9 on ride.
WA
418 Posts
Posted 24/11/2011, 11:31 am        Report
Yes Hosh, you are pretty much spot on with that description, as I have ridden your North xride myself, which is a great board in itself with specific ride characteristics. The Sugarqube 135 X 40 has a single concave bottom, whereas the rails flatten out in the centre 1/3. Construction is world class industry standard for 2011/2012. Which basically means: 3D Pawlonia woodcore double triaxial glass on top and bottom a scratch resistant PBT top and bottom sheet ABS rails Stainless steel M6 inserts G10 fins The pads are not of the moulded type specifically to let you move your feet around, and will give you maximum grip + comfort. Ride characteristics: The 135 Sugarqube is just so easy to throw around, will break out into a slide when you want it to, hardly catching an edge if you stuff up your landing. Cranking into the face of small waves is pure joy, the looseness of the board will let you correct for a tighter bottom turn. Easy to cruise up wind, just by moving your weight around, the tail will generate more grip. Bad Points: I dont know, if you're looking for a super tracky megga pop board, the Sugarqube is not for you. Larger waves, over head height, like most twinnys, just gets too fast for the second carve into the wave, it's possible to break out and aim for the lip, but it's just better to get a surf board. The boards were designed in Perth, for Perth, and are a new local brand, hopefully moving into the eastern states as well soon. It's impossible to make a board which will perform equally well in all disciplines, but the main aim was to design a board which makes riding easy, won't punish you when you are trying freestyle and eats chop like fresh doughnuts. You can grab a demo 135 X 40 or 140 X 41 at Kite Surf Sup Scarbs and Hami Hill. Disclaimer: I'm the designer of these boards.
WA
408 Posts
Posted 24/11/2011, 6:25 pm        Report
I WONDER IF I'M QUALIFIED TO DEMO ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WA
Barbados
1943 Posts
Posted 24/11/2011, 6:37 pm        Report
^^^^^Great Aussie Board, enough money is going overseas. If your a proud Australian, just demo one.
WA
3526 Posts
Posted 25/11/2011, 12:11 am        Report
the walks said...
I WONDER IF I'M QUALIFIED TO DEMO ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome anytime Tony.
WA
2213 Posts
Posted 25/11/2011, 11:12 pm        Report
sorry tony, no demo for you my son your a pom ,s**t so am i cauncy
WA
3526 Posts
Posted 26/11/2011, 12:22 am        Report
I took the 140 for a spin the other day to see how it would go offshore. Thinking of the big race next weekend. Rode a 144 Hammer last year and found it really stable and reliable through the haphazard swell of the crossing but its far from a fast board and it sucks a lot of power. The Sugarqube is a serious contender (for me). Much more flex & comfort than the Hammer, absolutely no face spray and seemed to handle the offshore swell very cleanly. I would agree with all the previous comments but I didnt really get a chance to try it in the waves. My guess is the Sugarqube will be good option for those still wanting TT's for waves. Still trialling & testing for the race though. Hoping to find something that tracks directly enough to hold a line and speed through the air & landings. ??? Anyone had any offshore experience on the Rad F. Thats my next tester. No flaming pls. I know. Any number of directionals will do exactly that for you. I just havent spent enough time on them yet to get comfortable for the race. Next year
WA
408 Posts
Posted 26/11/2011, 7:22 am        Report
cauncy said...
one of the luckiest pom's alive, nearly as lucky as you living in that wonderfull northern town micheal, by the way, the designer of this board is german. Was talking to the crew on the beach about you guys last night, looks like we're all coming up soon to spoil your private beach
WA
418 Posts
Posted 26/11/2011, 8:15 am        Report
the walks said...
cauncy said...
one of the luckiest pom's alive, nearly as lucky as you living in that wonderfull northern town micheal, by the way, the designer of this board is german. Was talking to the crew on the beach about you guys last night, looks like we're all coming up soon to spoil your private beach
Thats true Tony, thats where my origins are, was lucky enough to be imported when I was 2 Years old, started school in Andamooka opal fields SA and ran around the bush, through the sand hills and managed to ovoid falling into any mine shafts. I also sang God save the Queen every morning before school for 7 years. I hope thats not a bad point when making a quallified judgement on the SUGARQUBE boards.
WA
3526 Posts
Posted 26/11/2011, 2:45 pm        Report
Nothing like German engineering
WA
153 Posts
Posted 26/11/2011, 7:31 pm        Report
50 Years in Australia. I think you've qualified to be able to call yourself a aussie.

Page: of 1
Forums > Kitesurfing > Gear Reviews > 135 Sugarqube
^^^ Return to top of page ^^^