All Forums > Kitesurfing > Gear Reviews > 2012 Liquid Force Kites
Author 2012 Liquid Force Kites
Page: of 1
QLD
1669 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 16/07/2011, 5:54 pm        Report    
Disclaimer: Liquid Force Australia distributor Review - 3 kites in the 2012 range, 2 new models: NRG & Nirvana plus the best all round kite Envy Generation III. NRG: Looks a very flat shape design, the NRG is the model that replaced the Havoc this year. Came with all standard features from the 2011 kites - maxflow valve, diamond wing tips, one piece canopy, 4 struts, 4 lines…… The maxflow pump has an extender this year. Not only it allows the kite to be pumped in half the normal time, one wouldn't need to bend down at all. Love it! Most important of all - no more back aches! Took out the 12m yesterday in winds 10-20kts. On launch the kite gave a solid feel of fullness and volume. The 12m this year comes with a smaller bar. With an additional pulley on the back lines, the kite launched a tad slower than I expected. A few figure of eights, I began to feel the kite. Turning is not as direct as the Envy, but it has a more smoother arc turning path. I think the additional pulley on the back lines has allowed the kite to keep its dynamics during its turns. Few more figure of eights and wow, this kite can generate some power and has good grunt! With winds barely12-13kts, determined to grab board and give it a go on water. First signing down and it gave me enough power to hop on the board. Noticed the kite seem to sit a bit further back than the Envy. The bar also has a more solid pull than the Envy, but not heavy. A very nice feel on the new bar with soft EVA grip, one piece floater and winder all built in one. Much cleaner and I would say makes it safer too. No more plastic end caps. Had to sign a kite a few times cos of marginal wind but once up on the plane, the kite just trucks along and parks stably. I was using the 2012 LFX 138 board. I weigh 83kgs so this is my light wind board, next one down from the Low Rider. First turn was a smooth arc exactly how it turned on land. A few more runs and I began to explore and experience the slower turning kite to its lower end power. Kite loop was a smooth and easy manoeuvre, and trucks the power in a constant mode. Once the wind picked up to 15/16kts, I can edge a lot harder and the kite just takes me upwind. Very impressive. Got back to shore, tried stalling the kite but just couldn't get it to fault. Drop kite and tried relaunching. Gosh, a heavier back line than the Envy, but easy as to relaunch. I like the new leader line, looks like it has been heat sealed so should have excellent life time as well as additional safety. This will be a good low wind kite and great for the bigger riders. Can't wait to try the 10m as the 2011 10m Havoc was my favourite 10m kite. NIRVANA: Tested the 11m on 2 different days now. This replaced the HiFi Comp. Again, similar design features as its predecessor, but has gone back to 5 struts 5 lines. How big are those wing tips!!!!! Lovely fat wing tips I know before I flew it, it's going to be extremely stable. I assume the light weight carbon battens at the wing tip helps keep the kite in shape. Woohoo, do we have a choice of settings! Wakestyle riders are going to love this one. First time we took this out 2 weeks ago, it was about 7-8kts. Not enough wind to go in the water, but we went through the kite with a toothbrush, identifying all the new features, and flew it on the beach. If I close my eyes, it feels just like the HiFi Comp, but with a wider chassis. It also has more lower end power than the HiFi Comp. No pulleys give a total direct feel and turning – you cannot get more direct feeling than this. Kite loops was a piece of cake, shape of kite stays uniformed during manoeuvre. Yesterday another team rider took it out in higher winds, so will let him write his review on this. The HiFi Comp was a high wind kite for my weight, as I could get going on the Envy earlier, but I think I will be using the Nirvana a lot more this year as it seem to have more lower end power. Envy Generation III: The graphics on pumping was ok, didn't make me go wow. But once the kite is in the air, the colors just shine through and glazed down. On first fly, once again it was like the first Envy – WOW! Such a nice kite to fly, forgiving, easy to fly, and Generation III Envy has only strengthened its position. Joy to fly, this is the kite I want to take to treasure island. The diamond wingtip seem to have changed a little, and turning is even faster! I love the turns and you can kite loops pivoting on the spot! Relaunch was easy as. I reckon this again will be our best seller this year – for beginners to advance riders. In my opinion, is still the best all-rounder kite around. Took the 7m to the snow last week, but conditions did not allow safe snow-kiting unfortunately. We could barely see beyond 2 meters let alone the kite at 20m away lol. Again will let Lance write his review and I'll write more when I have another go on it. Other exciting 2012 gadgets: SWIVEL!!!!! No more twists on the front lines! In-built on the harness to allow front lines to be untwisted. I know Julien has been working on this for years, and to date there hasn't been one that works and lasted. Hopefully, this is the one! Maxflow Pump with Super Shaft extender! No more back pains, pumps kite in half the time! Next best to an electric pump! Bar: fully redesigned this year. One piece EVA moulded floats and winder, no more plastics. Looks clean and safe. Soft grip, nice feel. Impact Vests: Extremely comfort and new zip design ensures it doesn't unzip by itself easily. Harnesses: 3D mould with rash guard protection. Very comfy and supportive. With the swivel I think this will top all harnesses again this year. Anyone interested in view or try the new range, pop into our shop any day. We have all kites, all boards, harnesses, vests, they are all here. Promo video can be viewed at
QLD
39 Posts
Posted 16/07/2011, 6:33 pm        Report    
Ill just add what I though, conditions were very light with some big fronts coming through of 20+knots for only a couple of minutes NRG Has bucketloads of low end power, sits back in the window compared to the envy and is the kind of kite where you can edge very hard against the kite and it just keeps pulling! Kite jumps may not get heaps of height but sure do have hang time, didnt really slack when you loaded but that isnt what the kite is intended for. Envy: The Envy has been my favorite kite for the last couple of years, and not much has been changed. Felt very much the same as 2011 (which isnt a bad thing!). Great apparent wind and pop, and good float for down the line riding or light conditions. All round kite for a bit of everything. Nirvana The Navarna is easily my favorite, 5 strut, 5 line. 3 different connection options on both front and back lines. And it was on the fastest settings so I cant wait to give it ago on the slowest everything. Only had an 11, a bit small for me but when a big gust came through I was loving it. Awesome slack and relaunch! Relaunch was the main reason I didnt fly a Hifi for 2011. and then was also very easy to relaunch with the 5th in lighter periods. Landed 2 new tricks on this kite yesterday.
WA
28 Posts
Posted 16/07/2011, 9:27 pm        Report    
Does the Nirvana need the wing tip battens or are they optional? What does the kite gain when you fit the battens?
WA
501 Posts
Posted 16/07/2011, 10:18 pm        Report    
Can you please post some pics of the new bar..........??????????????
WA
501 Posts
Posted 17/07/2011, 10:26 am        Report    
NRG front ENVY Middle Nirvana Back Nice...... Does the NRG still support the USB 2.0 system ?
VIC
76 Posts
Posted 17/07/2011, 5:17 pm        Report    
QLD
39 Posts
Posted 17/07/2011, 5:32 pm        Report    
Addikt said...
NRG front ENVY Middle Nirvana Back Nice...... Does the NRG still support the USB 2.0 system ?
Has a different bridle to Envy or what the Havoc had, but Same attachments and Line lengths between. So bars from previous years will work
VIC
979 Posts
Posted 17/07/2011, 6:54 pm        Report    
That bar looks like something out of star wars
WA
501 Posts
Posted 17/07/2011, 7:50 pm        Report    
Big eeeZeee said...
That bar looks like something out of star wars
More like a limb from predator vs aliens............
VIC
76 Posts
Posted 18/07/2011, 2:53 pm        Report    
Thicker Leaders may help prevent those rare line raps I hear about. Also great on the hands when you need to pull that little extra on a line...
WA
501 Posts
Posted 18/07/2011, 4:47 pm        Report    
Yes very good point......
QLD
1669 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 19/07/2011, 3:33 pm        Report    
In my review on the NRG, I did use a smaller bar than the normal size (50cm), so please ignore the point about bar size/kite turning slower. Addikt: The NRG uses a new 3.1 system, new bridle set up with 4 pulleys. The pulleys on the back lines help spread the load and keep the wingtip from bending. The front wing attachment point is very high to give inside depower. Sloth: The Nirvana will work without the battens, but heavy riders will bend the wingtips. The LE all the way to the wingtips are super tiny, that is why the battens are put in to support them.
5 Posts
Posted 01/08/2011, 8:33 am        Report    
Liquid Force 2012 Envy review (12m, 12 to 15knots) Wind is back and I finally got the chance to pump up the new 2012 Envy. The shape of the kite is very similar to the old one. To be honest, I was not expecting much from the new kite. Once the kite is up in the air, I knew I was wrong. The 2011 Envy was good and new one is even better. The Envy is always targeted as a freeride, park kind of kite. It is designed for all around performance. In 2012, the Envy keeps its strong characteristics. The kite flies faster and turns quicker. Additionally, the low-end power of the kite is great. I was amazed. The new kite is slightly lighter than the old version but keep the rock solid structure. Let's face the fact, everyone crash and trust me the re-launching is effortless, quick and easy. Overall the kite 2012 Envy is unreal, it took me by surprise. The reliability, handling, precision all come together in one kite. It preforms in a high standard. However please do not get me wrong, it is not only a kite for experienced riders but also beginners. The kite is so fun and easy that everyone can handle.
Spain
1 Posts
Posted 03/08/2011, 9:32 pm        Report    
Hi Surfconnect Could you please compare Havoc 5 with NRG I don't know if looking for a 2011 bargain or waiting for the 2012 NRG 2nd question, I'm 82 kg and usually kite in Spain - Cadiz with usually 14-17 knots - Tarifa 20-25 knots Which would you recommend me 8-12 or 6-10-14 Thnx
QLD
790 Posts
Posted 04/08/2011, 2:22 pm        Report    
hkg25 said...
Liquid Force 2012 Envy review (12m, 12 to 15knots) Wind is back and I finally got the chance to pump up the new 2012 Envy. The shape of the kite is very similar to the old one. To be honest, I was not expecting much from the new kite. Once the kite is up in the air, I knew I was wrong. The 2011 Envy was good and new one is even better. The Envy is always targeted as a freeride, park kind of kite. It is designed for all around performance. In 2012, the Envy keeps its strong characteristics. The kite flies faster and turns quicker. Additionally, the low-end power of the kite is great. I was amazed. The new kite is slightly lighter than the old version but keep the rock solid structure. Let's face the fact, everyone crash and trust me the re-launching is effortless, quick and easy. Overall the kite 2012 Envy is unreal, it took me by surprise. The reliability, handling, precision all come together in one kite. It preforms in a high standard. However please do not get me wrong, it is not only a kite for experienced riders but also beginners. The kite is so fun and easy that everyone can handle.
Hey hkg25. where in oz do you live. we have no wind at all in Brisbane. Not even a dam westerly.
QLD
1669 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 09/09/2011, 6:25 am        Report    
Hi Fendetestas This is certainly the best time for bargains as all shops make way for 2012 stock, most 2011 gear is getting cleared at very good prices. Our 2011 packages are on 50% off rrp with free lessons. But if you are looking for the ultimate race kite or kite with top lower end power, you will find the NRG does just that. It is quite different to the Havoc, in that it is a lot flatter shape, gives great stability and good hang time. For 14-25kts at 82kg, 10m will be your most used size. PM if you have any other questions. Surf Connect
Fendetestas said...
Hi Surfconnect Could you please compare Havoc 5 with NRG I don't know if looking for a 2011 bargain or waiting for the 2012 NRG 2nd question, I'm 82 kg and usually kite in Spain - Cadiz with usually 14-17 knots - Tarifa 20-25 knots Which would you recommend me 8-12 or 6-10-14 Thnx

Page: of 1
All Forums > Kitesurfing > Gear Reviews > 2012 Liquid Force Kites
^^^ Return to top of page ^^^