Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2013 North Vegas

Created by tim89 > 9 months ago, 9 Sep 2012
tim89
WA, 14 posts
9 Sep 2012 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Exciting news - The long awaited North Vegas has hit WA.

This year the kites look awesome with 3 sweet colours to choose from.

Fortunately this weekend we got a nice easterly, so everyone was down at point walter. The wind was about 13-15 knows at first light, so i jumped on my new 12 meter.

Freaking awesome.... super smooth, lots of pop, perfect bar pressure through the tricks and it felt nice and rigid through the turns.

The bar this year is a bit different - there's a new de-power cleat, nice grips and adjustable apparent bar length, overall good improvements.

Overall I was super impressed with this years kite and bar. I'm sure there's going to be lots of happy kiters out there this year - and I'm one of them:-)

Rider: 75,Level - advanced
Style: Freeriding, Surf, Wake, Freestyle - This kite is good for all styles, my preference is: Wake
Weather: 13-15 knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: Shop rider - WA surf: 2013 stock in store!!!

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
9 Sep 2012 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

tim89 said...

Exciting news - The long awaited North Vegas has hit WA.

This year the kites look awesome with 3 sweet colours to choose from.

I'm glad you like the way they fly.
I wasn't keen on the look when I saw some photos but decided to reserve my judgement until I saw one up close.
After seeing a Rebel and Vegas today I made up my mind - I won't be buying a North kite this year. I don't mind the blue, orange or grey that much but the writing on them is crap.
I wasnt alone with this opinion.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
9 Sep 2012 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Dude is writing on the kite that important? Get on one and fly it, how does it perform. Do you need to match is to the colors in your wetty and harness. Just don't get this kind of mentality.

Personally I agree the kites look farqen terrible, but if was looking for that style of kite I'd be flying it first before I worried about how it damn well looked.

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
10 Sep 2012 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Dude is writing on the kite that important? Get on one and fly it, how does it perform. Do you need to match is to the colors in your wetty and harness. Just don't get this kind of mentality.

Personally I agree the kites look farqen terrible, but if was looking for that style of kite I'd be flying it first before I worried about how it damn well looked.

Yea I hear you Eppo, but there is a lot of competition out there with good kites and if you buy a kite you dont like the look of its always in the back of your mind. I usually keep my kites for 2-3 seasons and it would give me the ****s every time I pump it up.

I wouldnt save up to buy a new Ferrari (not that I could) to have the look and lines of the car ruined by crap writing all over it, like " the legendary Ferrari, the road isnt big enough" etc etc.

Maybe its North's plan to design something that gets a reaction, good or bad. If its bad, the turnover increases the following year as everyone trades up LOL.
Anyway thats my rant

tim89
WA, 14 posts
10 Sep 2012 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

I totally see that not everyone is going to like them - I do though

But at the end of the day, eppos right - you dont buy a car because if its colour.

WA Surf
WA, 334 posts
10 Sep 2012 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

I'm glad someone else said it before us - a North retailer. But every season a lot of people kick up a stink about the North colours, even those who buy, sell and ride the gear.
But after 1, or maybe 2 sessions, no one mentions the colours again... And after seeing the 2013 kites in the sky, the colours look good - in my opinion.

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
10 Sep 2012 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Seen worse colours, but really "Here it is super gaytastic"?

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
10 Sep 2012 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Car still looks fine, I just take it a little less serious that's all.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
10 Sep 2012 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

What you riding this season?

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
10 Sep 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

why dont you haters stay of this post and go talk some junk elsewhere?

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
10 Sep 2012 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

INTHELOOP said...

I am not a hater of North products. I have owned both North Kites and Boards.
I was thinking of going back to a North Rebel as I will be coming back from a shoulder reconstruction and wanted the plug + play and safety aspect of the Rebel.

I may buy one of last years models on run out as they have had pretty good reviews and I dont think there is too much difference except the bar.

I just dont like the new graphics. North representatives should be happy for the feedback good or bad

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
10 Sep 2012 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Don't get me wrong, the writing on the canopy (Here it is, Superfantastic) is as camp as a row of tents but who really gives a crap.

The kite does look really good this year. I had a look on Saturday and it's a really good shape, no flutter, light, fast for it's size, and built tough. Noticeably better than the last few models is the windtip shape and rigidity.

I'd rock this years kite for sure.

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
10 Sep 2012 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...

What you riding this season?

All jokes aside, I would love a vegas but I can't justify $2k for a kite, even with the good resale value. Probably try a 2013 razor, hifi-x, mutiny P-series 2 then make a decision if I want to sell my 2012 Fuel.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
10 Sep 2012 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Flying High said...

eppo said...

Yea I hear you Eppo, but there is a lot of competition out there with good kites and if you buy a kite you dont like the look of its always in the back of your mind. I usually keep my kites for 2-3 seasons and it would give me the ****s every time I pump it up.

I wouldnt save up to buy a new Ferrari (not that I could) to have the look and lines of the car ruined by crap writing all over it, like " the legendary Ferrari, the road isnt big enough" etc etc.

Maybe its North's plan to design something that gets a reaction, good or bad. If its bad, the turnover increases the following year as everyone trades up LOL.
Anyway thats my rant

True but north kites have a specific feel that you won't get anywhere else. I'm on the VX now for certain riding progression aims but oh I do miss the north feel in certain aspects you just don't get on other kites. If you like the north feel, the colors don't matter I reckon.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
10 Sep 2012 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Colours look crap wife likes them though!

McSalty
VIC, 47 posts
10 Sep 2012 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

I don't really look at my kite that much when I am riding - so function wins over form.

And I must say, this year's Vegas ...

LOL!

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
10 Sep 2012 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Saturday at Point walter were some of the flukiest winds I've sailed in for a long time. Any kite that felt freeking awesome and super smooth, I'll have 10 off, regardless of the colour

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
11 Sep 2012 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Flying High said...

INTHELOOP said...

I am not a hater of North products. I have owned both North Kites and Boards.
I was thinking of going back to a North Rebel as I will be coming back from a shoulder reconstruction and wanted the plug + play and safety aspect of the Rebel.

I may buy one of last years models on run out as they have had pretty good reviews and I dont think there is too much difference except the bar.

I just dont like the new graphics. North representatives should be happy for the feedback good or bad

this wasn't aimed at you buddy. All good. Peace*

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
11 Sep 2012 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

juicerider said...

Saturday at Point walter were some of the flukiest winds I've sailed in for a long time. Any kite that felt freeking awesome and super smooth, I'll have 10 off, regardless of the colour

Well I watched Tim89 throwing smooth handle passes all morning so... Maybe demo time?

tim89
WA, 14 posts
11 Sep 2012 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

ApatheticEnd said...

juicerider said...

Well I watched Tim89 throwing smooth handle passes all morning so... Maybe demo time?

Thanks mate - and I would recommend this kite all day everyday!

dorothyinste
QLD, 452 posts
12 Sep 2012 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

tim89 said...

I totally see that not everyone is going to like them - I do though

But at the end of the day, eppos right - you dont buy a car because if its colour.

Unless you are a woman!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
12 Sep 2012 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Funny though I thought the 2012 colours etc were 'weird' but now don't mind them. Also makes it very easy to spot a north in the air.

The 2012 Vegas was awesome hope to see to some in depth technical reviews of the 2013 compared to the 2012.

tim89
WA, 14 posts
12 Sep 2012 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

I had another session yesterday, this time on a 10m.

overall i noticed the kite was faster through the turns than last year. next session im going to use the slower turning settings.

It also pulls hard and then releases pressure when doing unhooked loops - which is better than last years. (not that i did many loops)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 North Vegas" started by tim89