Cost : free for SUPWA members, $10 for non members

Divisions:
Female Open Board - 12'6
Male Open 12'6
Male Open 14'
Male Open Unlimited
Surf Board (<12') - Mixed
Fastest O/40 and O/50 Male

Description:The last SUPWA SUP 5000 was a great success with paddlers asking when the next one was on. Well it's on!! This is the only event of its kind in the world! Great fun, good for all levels - beginner to elite!

There are 4 races for Men:
2000m
1500m
1000m
500m

3 Races for Women and Surf Boards
1500m
1000m
500m

You tally up your places for your results. Lowest score wins.

Great prizes on offer and a huge demo day! This is the event to get your mates that want to give SUP a go. Come down try a board, race a board. There will be the full range from DC on show as well as other boards to try.

Bring the kids - there will be kids SUP events/activities and a BBQ

Mike from Stand Up Surf Shop is sponsoring the SUP 5000, with generous support from DC Surf Designs. DC has put up a $1300 board voucher as a day prize, which will be drawn at the conclusion of the event.

NOTE - divisions will be capped at 20 paddlers, so make sure you get down early to register.

Check: www.facebook.com/StandUpPaddleWA for updates (and this thread)

* A good lead in for the Classic Paddle the following weekend. (details to be posted soon for that race)

stimo
WA, 874 posts
27 Sep 2012 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great just need to choose which board class there will be a few DC race boards there so get in early if you want to race on one

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
27 Sep 2012 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...

Looks great just need to choose which board class there will be a few DC race boards there so get in early if you want to race on one

I want one 14ft would be good. Going to have to race back from Gnaraloo for this event

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
28 Sep 2012 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

Looks good.
So do we just register on the day?

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
28 Sep 2012 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

QUOTE - "TIME - Register at 7.30 at Deepwater Point".

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
28 Sep 2012 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

akhawk said...

Looks good.
So do we just register on the day?

Hi Adam, I have decided we will open up a Race Splitter entry via email (like we did for the Bridge The Bank), just waiting for some details.

You can still enter on the day, but to ensure you get a spot it would be recommended to register via email.

It does save alot of time with paper work on the day!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
2 Oct 2012 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

You can now enter for the SUP 5000 to reserve a spot - free for SUPWA members (Non members $10 - pay on the day)

Email - lmjenk@aol.com

Please include your division - M or F
Age Cat - Open, O/40, O/50
Board - Surf (<12), 12'6, 14', Unlimited

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
4 Oct 2012 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Had a great response so far with early entries.
Looks like a lot of people are keen to get their hands on the DC voucher towards a board.

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
4 Oct 2012 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^

stimo
WA, 874 posts
4 Oct 2012 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

jenkz said...
Had a great response so far with early entries.
Looks like a lot of people are keen to get their hands on the DC voucher towards a board.

For sure 1300 $ towards full on custom race board to suit you now that's got to be good ,
All the demos will be for sale on the day make a offer go for a paddle thanks to stand up surf shop and DC paddleboards and all you got to do is enter and paddle in the sup5000 how easy is that

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
8 Oct 2012 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

If your thinking of entering in the 14' division I would get in quick as there are are only 20 spots per division. So far we have 13 definate starters and 4 paddlers yet to confirm that they will be on a 14'.
We have 33 paddlers across all the divisions so far. Don't forget you don't have to be first across the line to win the DC board voucher, you just have to compete on the day and be at presentations.
There will be info soon also on the proposed kids race.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
9 Oct 2012 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

I paddled a beautiful new DC14 today.. Very impressed..

DJ

marcus
WA, 219 posts
8 Oct 2012 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

just ordered one of them dj. cant wait for it to arrive now that the wind has:)

stimo
WA, 874 posts
8 Oct 2012 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

DJ

Such a good shot better than lacyes BBQ shots
Do you think we might ever see one of these under your feet DJ ?
Who's the lucky owner of that new stick

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
8 Oct 2012 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

If nothing else he makes some very good looking boards, but the fact they go so well is testament to a true craftsman.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
9 Oct 2012 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...
DavidJohn said...

DJ

Such a good shot better than lacyes BBQ shots
Do you think we might ever see one of these under your feet DJ ?
I here DC doing a Vic demo tour soon keep a eye out for that one
Who's the lucky owner of that new stick

Ha.. If it wasn't for that Naish blood running through my body..

Lucky I don't live anywhere near Dale because I think I would be worse than Lacey..

Looking forward to that DC demo tour and my friend Cam is the lucky one using this board.. Not sure if it's just a demo or not but we sure appreciate Dale sending it down for us to try..

Looking fonward to seeing how it goes on a downwinder..

DJ

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
9 Oct 2012 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Places are filling fast for the SUP5000. Check out the Racesplitter Start List to ensure you are entered. If not email Luke.

www.racesplitter.com/races/C884E8F07

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
10 Oct 2012 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

*****SUP5000 change of details******
Hi everyone
We have had to move the racing back 1/2hour due to rowing training.

Registration is 0800
First race : 0900

Note - if you have registered on Racesplitter already and are a member you can get down at 0830 for the briefing

stimo
WA, 874 posts
10 Oct 2012 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Dam those rowers they should be standing up any way thanks Greg

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
12 Oct 2012 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

41 entrants already. Looks like it is going to be another huge event, lets hope our good run with weather keeps up!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
14 Oct 2012 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...
Dam those rowers they should be standing up any way thanks Greg

We're getting quite a bit of interest from the rowers, so they might end up standing up!

Ian and Jade from the Canning Bridge Pod organised a article in the local newspaper for the event so there could be a few new people and spectators.

If the impending forecast stays for Saturday, it is going to be glorious conditions for the SUP5000 and a mega demo day - I hope DC and Stand Up Surf Shop have enough boards!

stimo
WA, 874 posts
14 Oct 2012 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Yes Greg. All the dc demos being used for race are gone but crew will be able to paddle them after race Galvo away so we will just grab what we can from the shop
Will bring down the concept 2 sup paddle trainer as well

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
16 Oct 2012 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

How good do the conditions look for this weeks event.
I still have a few competitors who need to confirm their board sizes. So if thats you could you please PM me with the details.
See you all Saturday.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
16 Oct 2012 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

jenkz said...
How good do the conditions look for this weeks event.
I still have a few competitors who need to confirm their board sizes. So if thats you could you please PM me with the details.
See you all Saturday.

Hey Luke how's it working with the girls who are paddling 14 f I see in race splitter they are down as 12/6 do we need a 14 girls class ? As well as the 12/6 ?

DirectX
WA, 240 posts
16 Oct 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Pity I wont be there guys, looks like another awesome SUPWA event. Looking forward to the photos :-)

Rob

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
16 Oct 2012 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Stimo
We made the female class an open board class - meaning 12'6 and 14' together. The last SUP5000 were all on 12'6, we hadn't seen many women on 14' boards so we weren't sure who would enter. It was easier to group the division and ensure we had enough numbers in total.

The female division is a fast growing area. As the board class numbers fill out, we will break down the board division into separate 12'6 and 14' classes in future events.

It was only a year ago that the guys all raced in the Classic Paddle on 14' and 12'6 as an Open Board Division!

stimo
WA, 874 posts
16 Oct 2012 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Goochi said...
Hi Stimo
We made the female class an open board class - meaning 12'6 and 14' together. The last SUP5000 were all on 12'6, we hadn't seen many women on 14' boards so we weren't sure who would enter. It was easier to group the division and ensure we had enough numbers in total.

The female division is a fast growing area. As the board class numbers fill out, we will break down the board division into separate 12'6 and 14' classes in future events.

It was only a year ago that the guys all raced in the Classic Paddle on 14' and 12'6 as an Open Board Division!

The stand up surf shop may just have find some more prizes not really fair for the girls on 12/6 racing against girls 14f as the 14 length being a quicker board in general

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
17 Oct 2012 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

Have fun everyone. I will be flapping around with the gwss up near stimos shack.
Good Dw'er this arvo on shark alley :) first time on the 14 for a long time realized how unfit I am.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
18 Oct 2012 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

A couple of updates:

There will be a kids race or series of races over a short distance and close to shore. Dependant on numbers and conditions of the day this will be flexible to give them the best possible conditions. So bring the kids down and get them involved.

There will also be plenty of demo boards (both surf and race) for people to try out. So if you are in the market for a new board or just looking to get into the sport this is the perfect opportunity to get on a number of boards and test them back-to-back. There may even be some very new toys.

Weather is still looking good so come on down and get involved.

Fergus
WA, 136 posts
18 Oct 2012 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

I've got 3 groms coming down all 10 y.o. Hopefully we will get a good turn out of kids and a range of ages I'm sure. Kids are really looking forward to it. If anybody has adjustable paddles that they could bring down for the kids to use that would be great.

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
19 Oct 2012 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Fergus said...
I've got 3 groms coming down all 10 y.o. Hopefully we will get a good turn out of kids and a range of ages I'm sure. Kids are really looking forward to it. If anybody has adjustable paddles that they could bring down for the kids to use that would be great.

Thats great Fergus, I also had a email from someone who is coming down to demo a board, who wants to enter their kid on his surf SUP.
If anyone elses kids are keen to enter let me know so we can cater for prizes.
Conditions are looking great for it.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Stand Up Surf Shop SUP5000 presented by DC Boards" started by Goochi