Active Topics |  Search

Login or Register
All Forums > Windsurfing > Gear Reviews > Starboard S-Type 104
Author Starboard S-Type 104
Page: of 1
WA
48 Posts
Posted 13/03/2012, 1:57 pm        Report    
I have a chance of picking up a 2007 104 Starboard S-Type for a good price and was wondering what people think about them. I am 80kgs and plan on sailing it on flat water and also some small waves (when I am good enough). Are they easy boards to ride? as what I have read about them they are a high performance board and also what would be a good size fin my sails are 4.7m,5.5m,5.8m,6.1m and 6.5m. Or maybe fins? Any info will be appreciated. Cheers
QLD
3777 Posts
Posted 13/03/2012, 2:33 pm        Report    
I still have my 2007 S-type 93 and get out on it now and again. They're actually pretty fast boards but with inboard straps and a pinnier tail than full on slalom boards you can manoeuvre them much easier. They were the predecessor to Starboard's Futura and used for the now defunct PWA Super-X racing format (slalom racing with loops and tricks interspersed) Being 60cm wide you could use a 32 -34cm slalom / freeride fin. I really like my 30cm Select Viperspeed in the S-t93 years ago and have recently used a 31 Select Caspar GPS fin (open ocean conditions)
NSW
954 Posts
Posted 13/03/2012, 5:20 pm        Report    
Good enough for an avatar! My 104 is in it's sweet spot with a 6m sail and a 30cm fin (in fact the exact same fin as sausage). It's a very easy and comfy board to ride, but it has quite a flat rocker, so not too sure about the waves...
WA
48 Posts
Posted 13/03/2012, 8:49 pm        Report    
thanks for the replies, How do you think it will handle with a Select Weed 32 fin? I will look at getting a 30cm Select Viperspeed further down the track as I don't really need a weed fin. I pick the board up tomorrow
NSW
954 Posts
Posted 14/03/2012, 9:45 am        Report    
I really don't know much about weed fins - I have an FO 32 weedie that I've used on my S-Type 126, but it felt a bit dead. It might be OK on the smaller 104 - certainly can't hurt to try. You certainly don't need a Select Viper Speed 30, it's just coincidence that the two replies have had the same fin. My 2005 S-Type came with a Drake 28cm freeride that I've never used, it might be good for small waves (again, watch that low rocker!)
QLD
3777 Posts
Posted 14/03/2012, 4:54 pm        Report    
shear tip said...
I really don't know much about weed fins - I have an FO 32 weedie that I've used on my S-Type 126, but it felt a bit dead. It might be OK on the smaller 104 - certainly can't hurt to try. You certainly don't need a Select Viper Speed 30, it's just coincidence that the two replies have had the same fin. My 2005 S-Type came with a Drake 28cm freeride that I've never used, it might be good for small waves (again, watch that low rocker!)
Totally agree Shear Tip - I think the viper speeds are superseded now anyway (the Select S12 eliptical would probably be a close match http://www.select-hydrofoils.com/en/fins/elite/s12-eliptical/). Any good slalom or freeride fin will be good. And yes the board is very flat in the back half with very little nose rocker although I haven't had any trouble in the mess I sail in up here.
SA
496 Posts
Posted 19/03/2012, 5:06 pm        Report    
Good board (it was my big board). Nice locked in feeling. A bit technical though. Flat rocker made it difficult to gybe in big chop (ocean). You have to go full tilt into gybes to get them around so not as forgiving as boards the same size with a bit more rocker.

Page: of 1
All Forums > Windsurfing > Gear Reviews > Starboard S-Type 104
^^^ Return to top of page ^^^