Forums > Sailing General

Hull Scraping

Created by Toph > 9 months ago, 15 Nov 2012
Toph
WA, 1802 posts
15 Nov 2012 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

My hull is in need of a clean. All the slipsways that are available either have a waiting list months in advance or are exceptionally expensive.

Can anybody reccommend somebody who can dive on the boat and scrap the hull, and what price could I be looking at for a 32 footer?

Thanks in advance

southace
SA, 4760 posts
15 Nov 2012 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

It takes me about 4 hours on my 37fter usually 2 tanks of air. One guy quoted me $140 for a quick scrub/rubb I offered him $100 and he accepted took him about an hour.

Toph
WA, 1802 posts
15 Nov 2012 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Southace. I could have a crack at it myself I suppose. I realise you are in QLD, but are there any restrictions that you know of doing it in a marina..

I should of also stated in my original post that I'm in the Fremantle area.

Thanks again

southace
SA, 4760 posts
15 Nov 2012 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Technically No human deposits of our waste is to enter the water so I guess as long as your not scraping the paint off or turning the water black you should be ok... Some marinas don't allow it.
I prefer to do it somewhere remote where the water visibility is good that way I can see approaching bull sharks! Haha

MorningBird
NSW, 2648 posts
15 Nov 2012 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Usually $70-80 for my 34 ft when it is pretty gungy, in Sydney Pittwater.

nswsailor
NSW, 1424 posts
15 Nov 2012 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Don't laugh Southace,

I was in the Uranga marina last year and asked the diver working on the hull of the yacht next to me why he was wearing an electronic shark repeller.

He replied that he had made the local papers by being molested by a Bull Shark in that very marina!

You never know when or where!

southace
SA, 4760 posts
15 Nov 2012 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I agree I snapped this happy fellow last week lucky the visibility was clear!

Toph
WA, 1802 posts
15 Nov 2012 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

southace said...
I can see approaching bull sharks! Haha

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The Swan river isnt all that clear.

cisco
QLD, 12315 posts
16 Nov 2012 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

southace said...
Technically No human deposits of our waste is to enter the water so I guess as long as your not scraping the paint off or turning the water black you should be ok... Some marinas don't allow it.
I prefer to do it somewhere remote where the water visibility is good that way I can see approaching bull sharks! Haha

I am a tad confused here. Marina yards have to spend a fortune installing trap drains and settling tanks so that none of the ineffectual anti fouling paint goes into the waterways which is mandated by GBRMPA, EPA, MSQ and whatever other organisation can get their finger into the pie, yet it seems it is quite OK for a diver to bum scrape a boat into the briny.

Is it legal and therefore a contradiction of the law, or is it not legal but you can get away with it if you are not observed???

When it is legal for a huge commercial vessel to put the most toxic paint available on it's hull but the little pleasure boating guy is only allowed to paint his hull with paint that does not work as antifoul, the law is a total furfy.

The authorities do not like people who live on boats because the the lifestyle smacks of freedom and independent thought.

Don't let those water borne types think they can live without being milked by the system.

southace
SA, 4760 posts
16 Nov 2012 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

Milked by the system hey, I have worked out that when I buy a 6 pack of beer at my local it costs me $14.99 I give $15.00 cash and receive no change x that by 1millon six packs over my life span!

On a lighter note.
Yes I agree It could be a touchy subject..... I have dived mine 3 times in 3.5 years(not much antifoul left now). It's more obvious when doing it In the marina however if you are in a remote area you can keep a eye out for any traffic. 2 metres of clear water on a calm day with a little current is perfect.

Jethrow
NSW, 1226 posts
16 Nov 2012 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

I was told by a waterways officer that if they see a plume from where you're rubbing you're gone, doesn't matter if it's antifouling or just natural growth. A lot of the multihull guys up this way do it on the sand flats around Pittwater but I reckon they're on shaky ground too as I don't often see drop sheets under hulls.

Ramona
NSW, 7421 posts
16 Nov 2012 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

In NSW you are allowed to scour the bottom with a pad. Scraping shell however is illegal and its about an $800 fine I believe.

Naturally when I'm underwater cleaning my boat I leave the shell, yer right!

pagemc
WA, 20 posts
16 Nov 2012 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

If your in the Swan Toph no one will see you, not even the bull sharks! But seriously, we scrub the hull every other week for racing over the last 20+ years and have never even raised an eyebrow, and in the Swan you really do need to. estuarine environments like these are very high growth places.

warwickl
NSW, 2174 posts
18 Nov 2012 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Save youself the problem, see the post Ultrasonic anti fouling, these systems are getting cheaper and cheaper.

I for one can testify it has worked for me saving $ and the hassle of a visit to a marina

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Hull Scraping" started by Toph