Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

GKsonic 8m review

Created by hilly > 9 months ago, 26 Jan 2006
hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
26 Jan 2006 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Me - 105kg, kiting for 5 years, previous kites - Caution, Slingshot, Airush and Windwing, into waves not tricks, kite on my own a lot - yeh no mates. Ride a surfboard with straps mainly, twintip now and again.

Got the 11m Sonic 2 months ago rapt with that kite for range, upwind and depower. Its faster than xbow and Nova(yes I tried them) and I got used to the bar and I like it now - it is an aquired taste though. Not so keen on the self launch and self landing issues more on them later. The 11 is a powerful kite so 25 knots down the line wave riding was a handful even for a fat bastard like me! in and out twintipping and jumping was fine to 30 knots.

But I wanted more - something fast and able to handle strong winds easily and the 8m delivers - it is a very responsive piece of kit with surprising power getting me moving in 20 knots on a surfboard easily. Build quality is really good comes from the same factory as the Best kites (Waroo is a copy).

I have had four of the best wave sailing sessions (30 knots cross to cross off head high plus waves) on this kite in the last week, simply it rocks - upwind ability is amazing, bottom turns are easy with complete power control, the depower allows you to go vert at will and fast turning so it goes where you want it. For wave riding this kite is easily the best kite I have tried. Also jumps really well not as good as the 11 though - less power.

What is really good about GKsonics is the price (about $1400 complete) and the backup I have received from the dealer (Fulltilt.com.au thanks Jason) the distributor and Globe Kites has been outstanding - any issues with the kites have been resolved really well. These were teething issues for the first production run only and are all fixed now.

Sussed the self launch which is easier with the 8 compared to the 11 - http://212.67.202.191/~kitemad1/soniclaunch1.wmv
from previous post but you need space.
Self landing - I hate walking down the lines in strong winds so I attach the safety to something substantial, usually my car and unhook and chuck the bar then walk to the depowered kite that sits on the edge of the window - no line burns if it powers up. There is a reride system as well now on one of the front lines if you prefer.

Overall a very impressive kite I recommend a test ride.

Andrew

kitesuffer
NSW, 148 posts
28 Jan 2006 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hilly,
Why aren't you launching the same way you land? Works a treat.

I rode the 8 today for the first time. Felt a little underpowered but still rocketed upwind.

Cheers,

Mike

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
28 Jan 2006 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Pure lazyness as just walking to the side is so quick and easy, as I said safe with space eg big open deserted sand beach. If I was in a tight area or rocky beach I would, but it takes time.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"GKsonic 8m review" started by hilly