Forums > Windsurfing General

Mast Pads

Created by Arlo > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2008
Arlo
SA, 139 posts
2 Jan 2008 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

So having just crunched the nose of my brand new board with my first catapult in ages (lack of water at Goolwa) I have realised that since the boards have become so short nowadays the boom pad/protector is sod all use and you need to pad the mast below the boom. Anybody know who makes sells such pads? Apart from a combined boom/mast protector made by pro-limit the only ones I can find on the net are the mast foot protectors, and even the pro-limit one doesn't seem to be on their website.

Cheers
Arlo

892 posts
2 Jan 2008 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Most of the pads around these days are more along the lines of board-nose padding rather than mast mounted padding. JP (for example) make a really tough nose guard thing that you can glue onto the nose of their boards - they even match the graphics. Other brands have similar things, and there's probably something generic around by now.

The arguments against these things are that if you do smash it hard enough to break the board under the guard, you can't see it, and it could be sucking in tonnes of water without you noticing until it's too late!

You can DIY with a piece of that foam 'pool noodle' stuff which will take some of the sting out of the mast..

OR.. you can just hang on, sheet in and pretend that you're practicing forward loops, that way you'll miss the board entirely, and personally, I reckon it's more fun too!

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
2 Jan 2008 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

We use a mast base protector - turn it upside down and fit below boom pretty perfectly: does the trick very well ;) We have plenty of them in stock, $20 each.

fullmoon
WA, 314 posts
2 Jan 2008 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Steve,
Bitter experience has shown me I NEED mast/nose protectors so I went to Clark Rubber and bought a 1/4 sheet of 25mm eva closed cell foam,cut horse shoe shape nose protectors out using a very sharp kitchen knife and glued them to the nose of my boards.
CAUTION,be very careful using the knife as some effort is required and the knife requires sharpening after every few cuts just so it will slide through the foam.It has to be THAT sharp.
I used Selleys Kwik Grip to glue them down following the instructions to the tee and they appear to be holding down fine.
There was two densities of eva at Clark Rubber and I chose the more dense foam as I wanted to spread the impact loading over the greatest area.
I used a sheet of A3 cardboard to make a template,marked it onto the foam cut the foam and sanded the foam using an aluminium oxide sandpaper (120 grit).
Will try to post photos asap but my computor skills are poor so it may take a while.
Good Luck
Fullmoon.

monster
TAS, 495 posts
2 Jan 2008 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

i build these for all my boards cost about 40 bucks for fibreglass and flow coat

no more tears

Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
2 Jan 2008 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

I use a Prolimit mast foot protector, turned upside down and mounted just below the boom. I purchased it 2 years ago from WindSail'n'Surf in Sydney. Sits in just the right spot.

latedropeddy
VIC, 417 posts
3 Jan 2008 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

Ive got a DaKine mast foot protector - works great however it is just one more thing to bring to the beach( I quite often forget it).

Monster - that looks sweet and very pro!. I tried to buy a Starboard nose protector for my 07 Carve 111 but apparently they dont bring them in to OZ. I had to buy one from the UK - took ages to arrive, it was the correct size as stated by Starboard but it looked crap and seemed too stiff to conform to the nose properly. I was amazed that Starboard would make such a shonky product compared to all their other gear.
I wouldn't mind making a glass nose protector for my Carve - what weight and how many layers of glass did you use? did you need to vacuum bag it to the nose/deck or did you just do a normal layup? what adhesive did you use to glue it to the nose? many questions...
cheers
lde

monster
TAS, 495 posts
3 Jan 2008 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

hi latedropeddy, had the same trouble with my carve , i was told they were bullet proof because of the tectnora but first ride came in with a nice dent in the nose, i rang auswind about a nose protector and was told they didnt have any and if they did wouldent sell me one anyway, so built my own very easy to build ,slip a strong garbo bag over the nose and tape lay up fibre glass matt and resin three layers of cross weave , make sure it over hangs the nose when it sets just pull bag and glass of the board comes of easy ,trim with grinder paint two libral coates of flow coate over out side only sand smooth , apply bathroom white slicon sealant to the protector arond the edge on the in side push on let set its there and wont come of , if you want to remove it you have cut the slicon with a razor blade cheers bazz email if you need any help

latedropeddy
VIC, 417 posts
3 Jan 2008 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

sweet

awesome instructions!

divaldo
SA, 2878 posts
3 Jan 2008 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Arlo, what about one of the Dakine mast base protectors? Seemed to fit on there pretty well the other day?

Arlo
SA, 139 posts
3 Jan 2008 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

I had already considered that an upside down mast base protector might do the trick, but assumed there might be something specificallt designed for this given that the October Windsurf mag mentions it in the Kit Wrecker article. I've emailed Pro-Limit to see if they still make the combined boom/mast protector I came across on the net from a few years ago as it isn't mentioned on their current web-site.

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
4 Jan 2008 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

We put a boom bra on the boom then the protector on the mast under the boom. Should do the same job?

Arlo said...

I had already considered that an upside down mast base protector might do the trick, but assumed there might be something specificallt designed for this given that the October Windsurf mag mentions it in the Kit Wrecker article. I've emailed Pro-Limit to see if they still make the combined boom/mast protector I came across on the net from a few years ago as it isn't mentioned on their current web-site.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Mast Pads" started by Arlo