Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cabrinha CB IDS 9m & SB IDS 12m

Created by Cabron > 9 months ago, 26 Jun 2008
Cabron
QLD, 363 posts
26 Jun 2008 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

First ride today on a couple this years Cabrinha line up.
Firstly:
Me
Weight: 95kg
Skill: Intermediate (questionable)
Board: FLX 132 06 and Cabrinha 130 something
Both Kites set on middle bridle knots, and on fast turning settings
Conditions: see below (riding from 10am till 1.30pm)

Disclaimer: No involvement with any Kite Companies, or Brands.

9m Crossbow IDS

On launching the 9m CB, first thoughts, leading edge has much rounder arc when overhead, and launching in this sort of wind was simple, and very stable. Bar out and the kite sat overhead.

Out on the water, first impressions were the lighter bar pressure from the previous crossbow models, which was a delight. Hard to compare between this years CB and last years SB, however similar bar pressure, the CB felt slightly firmer, not heavier.
The kite is fast through the air and quick turning. Not too twitchy, however caught me out every time I threw a front or backroll, in a nanosecond the kite was out on the edge of the window, luckily just as quick back into the powerzone.

Where this kite came alive was loading up and sending. This is a jumping machine!, Bare in mind, I had the bridle set on the middle knots(normal) and no depower on the bar, in 30+ gusty knots. I wasn't even really loading up a lot, just send this monster and sheet in. Hang time was good, however not great, though 100kg hanging off a 9m isn't meant to hang.
Second, This kite has an amazing top end, at 35kn gusting to 40kn, no depower on bar or kite, and comfortable riding. Would like to know what I could take it to, most other riders my size were on 7meter's and very powered. At no stage was I riding arms out hanging on for life(my normal riding stance).
However on the other hand, the wind dropped slightly, still around 20kn, and the kite became transport. Still keeping ground, and small jumps(slightly bigger when rushing with apparent wind). However not as much fun, I guess with a bigger board, would still be fun. With such a top end, something has to give. I took this chance to jump on the 12m SB.

I didn't have a great look at the construction of the kite, however seemed well built, and more solid than previous models. The canopy was tight in gusting conditions.
Overall, A really fun, quick kite. Great jumping and amazing top end. A little twitchy until you get it dialled. Good, solid construction and nice to fly.

12m Switchblade IDS:

Details - see above

First thoughts: When overhead, not sure if just the colours, but this kite seems to have a very low AR. Looked like a parachute above me...laughs

On the water: Well it was never going to be as quick or twitchy as the 9m, however the kite was fun to fly, thoughts are Stable, Predictable, Smooth.
Comparing to last years SB 12m, the turning radius seems smaller, though not much quicker. Ate the gusts easily, with heaps of depower, and still steerable at arms length depower. Had to bring on trim depower at the bar at one stage, timing would have been when it kicked back up to 25-28kn, which seems a much higher wind range than last years 12m. Not sure about bottom end.

Again where this kite came alive was when you sent it, such a smooth lift, and high....and then....you just keep floating. Hang time was amazing, and a really soft decent, yes a parachute. Enjoyed this heaps. Need to put this back to back with last years to really see the difference, however main points are for Hangtime, and tighter turning radius, and a smoother feeling, and a better top end than last years. Only had a short session on this, so looking forward to next session. A fun, stable, predictable kite that you just park and ride, send and float. Can't wait to jump back on this kite and the try the new 10m SB

Thoughts on new features of both kites:
Inflation mod ??? - A lot quicker to pump up, you don't feel half the resistance of pumping previous models.
IDS: Didn't test personally, however saw it done, Just hit the QR and kite flags and floats upside down like on 5th line. The lDS line going through the bar, looks as if it would get in the way, however riding, I didn't even know it was there.
New Bar: The grip is alot smoother on the hands, and slightly thicker which made it more comfortable for me, all good. Depower and over ride system, the same as last years models. Bar ends, stick out a bit, can't see or feel any great advantage or disadvantage with them. Slightly neater to roll lines, but seemed to catch more, unwinding lines.
Dislikes: Colour markings on Bar, needs brighter colour on bar end, when bar is lost, hard to just grab the right side of bar.
The bag: Why mess with something that was good, not sure if this the final cut, as kites were pre-release. Bag loads from front mainly(quite awkward) need to practise origami to fit it in!!, can be loaded from bottom through extension, however extension are made from that recycled paper feeling stuff that you get on head rests in planes. Not sure how this is going to last with wet sandy kites, time will tell.

Summary: A good start to demoing this years kites, enjoyed the CB a lot more than previous models (1:1 bar is the way to go), SB was nice, sold on Hangtime, however need more time to feel all the differences between this and last years(which I still ride). With both kites, relaunch is a breeze, just steer the kite back into air (much easier than last years, which was easy too), both seem to have better top ends than last years, not sure about bottom end of the SB. The only comparsion I can say is 9m CB 9 didn't have than grunt as last years 10m SB does in around 20kn, but last years 10m SB in 35-40kn is white knuckles, full depower and just hanging on...so not comparing apples with apples.

Take both for a run and compare yourself, both kites are well worth a fly and a step up from last years. Hard to pick whats going in the quiver this year.

PIMP.....Thanks to Kitepower for the demo of the kites.

ispi
NSW, 59 posts
27 Jun 2008 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for a solid review Cabron.

I have to say, I did see you pulling some maaaaaasive air yesterday !

Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
27 Jun 2008 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

For what it's worth, I had a quick ride on the SB IDS 8m in 27-32knots at Lizard about a fortnight ago, benchmarked against the SB3 8m which I was riding up there in everything from 18-35 knots.

The SB IDS was set on the slower turning speed settings and I could feel the difference, made it turn a bit more like a SB3 10m. This isn't such a bad thing as the SB3 8m can definitely cane you for incorrect bar control when you are going for moves in the near 30 knot wind range.

The profile looks different from the riders perspective, definitely more of a curved arc on the LE. Jumps were about the same, generally it seemed like the kite handled in a fairly similar way apart from the slower turning.

Things that I didn't like so much - the override stopper is gone off the central black line, so spinning the bar is not so easy - the kite starts to fall out of the sky. It looks like you could retro-fit one pretty easily though, as the rest of the depower system looks the same.

Also it has gone back to 4 pulleys per side of the kite, to give 8 total. I guess this is needed to get the IDS system to work, and the pulleys are apparently new and not so prone to jamming with sand & wearing the lines - but I really enjoy having only 2 per side on the SB3!

In a nutshell the SB IDS seems like a refined SB3 with some more tuning options and a safer method of flagging the kite and self landing if you need it. Should be a popular kite again this year.

nicnak
QLD, 14 posts
28 Jun 2008 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Keen to see how the new SB stacks up against my REV as I'll be needing a new kite soon. Does any one know when they will be in the shops to buy?

29 Jun 2008 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Cabron was riding the 1.30M 2009 Cabrinha Caliber board during approx half of his demo.
The kites are easier an faster to pump up because the internal area of the inlet valve is double that of the SB3 and previous years kites.
The leading edge seams are even stronger this year Cabrinha have incorpprated a glue method of laminating and reinforcing the leading edge closure seam.
CB kites use the same smooth fused dacron LE material in the higher loaded centre area as the SB kites.

The SB and CB IDS kites have 3 single pulleys per side, 2 on the front lines and 1 on the rear lines, for a total of 6 per kite.
It is a totally new pulleys designed and manufactured by Cabrinha, the pulley wheel axle is captive on both sides, unlike most other yachting brand plastic body pulleys. The pulley body is moulded with an internal lip that prevents the pulley line from getting wedged between the pulley and the pulley body, as can happen with the yacht brand pulleys.
All pulleys are monted properly with a spliced sling design, so that the pulley can move freely and maintain perfect alignment to the loaded line running along the pulley wheel.

The kites KP and other Cab dealers have are production proto's, there will be some minor changes made to the public release full production kites that will be in store for sale in approx 2-5 weeks from now. There will be a small amount of air freighted CB IDS and a limited amount of runout priced CB3 kites in later next week.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Cabron
QLD, 363 posts
29 Jun 2008 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...

Cabron was riding the 1.30M 2009 Cabrinha Caliber board during approx half of his demo.

I forgot to mention, the new cab footpads/ straps are the most comfortable things ever. At the start, i was unsure, then jumping back on my board, made me realise how comfortable they are. A little bit hard for board offs etc, feels like your wearing a sneaker. I know what I will be getting soon

ADEN
QLD, 299 posts
12 Jul 2008 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

now cabrinha is moving up to slingshot standards

14 Jul 2008 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

nicnak said...

Keen to see how the new SB stacks up against my REV as I'll be needing a new kite soon. Does any one know when they will be in the shops to buy?

I've got some for sale now, what size are you interested in?

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cabrinha CB IDS 9m & SB IDS 12m" started by Cabron