Style: Freeriding, Surf,
Weather: 12 -20 knots onshore to cross onshore
Waves: crappy shoulder high wind waves breaking on a reef edge
Kite: Cabrinha SB3 12m
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 8/10
Disclosure: no shop affiliations

http://www.naishkites.com/2008/en/products/custom_wave.html

I had been thinking for some time about board options that would allow me to squeeze a bit more out of our mushy little onshore waves than my 135x40 TT. I had been riding my 7'2" surfboard unstrapped for a few months late last year, and while it was fun, it was starting to put pressure dents in the deck, and the board was a bit too big to cope with the wave and kite power at the same time. I was after something smaller, with the option of straps, and strong enough to be thrown into a few jumps if need be.

I was tossing up between a "standard" kite surfboard about 6'0", or a wave mutant like the RRD Toxic wave or Spleene Zone, when the chance came up to pick up a 2008 Naish Fish 5'5" twin at a good price. I grabbed the board and have been pretty happy with it so far, after about 10 sessions.

The board is 5'5" x 20" x 2 3/8" with the widest point just in front of the front foot strap, a deep retro fish tail, and really light weight. It has a lot of nose rocker and a deep single concave through the front section, grading into a flat tail. The twin fins have a little bit of toe-in and are slightly larger than a typical thruster side fin (don't have measurements to hand), and they are mounted close to the rail and further back than a thruster fin. There are good quality pads on the deck, with a grip finish between the fore and aft pads. I added a little wax to the area around the front pad. The footstraps are OK, but not the most comfortable things I have ever used, and a little on the large size. I just fit into them on the smallest setting and I am size 11. They are connected to the board with quad screws for each strap, and there are three possible strap positions.

The board is easy to ride, although takes some getting used to with the gybing and extra volume up front compared to a TT. It planes early and goes upwind very well, and although the nose bounces a bit over choppy water due to the concave and the extreme rocker line, it hasn't shown any tendency to spin out or lose grip on the fins, even when pushed hard and fast over lots of chop.

The best feature is no doubt its feel when playing in the waves. There has been lots written about "drive" and "looseness" with respect to kite surfboards and standard surfboards as you change designs and fin setups from twins to thrusters to quads, and I don't consider myself experienced enough to really make a judgement here. What I can say though is that this board loves to turn, which is what you would expect from a wide floaty twin-fin Fish. It turns well at different speeds and different arcs, which is perhaps its best feature - slow snaps and gouges, moderate carves, and faster gybes and downloop turn lip smacks are all possible. In contrast, some other thrusters I have ridden seem to have a definite turn radius and speed they like to carve on, and don't like being pressed outside that box, which is fine if the turn matches the waves you are surfing, but it doesn't offer as many options. I was worried the twin fins may not hold as well as the quads they have installed on the 2009 Naish boards, but I haven't seen any evidence of it skipping out yet, and I have pushed it as much as I can in the light-ish winds we have been having.

Gybing is easier than you would expect of a board this small, with the trick being to move the feet and weight forward near the front pad before switching the stance, and to keep the kite high and depowered on a slight broad reach. After 5 sessions or so I was pretty much gybing on every tack and only muffing maybe 1 in 10, and it is great to be able to switch stance and rest the legs, as well as keeping some ambidexterity in my wave riding. The board is also light enough and small enough that it can be jumped pretty well too, with the obvious proviso that you land it carefully.

Finally, the board has proved to be a great light wind option during several gusty sessions in 16-18knots with long 12knot lulls. It planes right through the lighter stuff, while going upwind really well as soon as there is a sniff of power in the kite. These days would have been "mow the grass" type affairs on the TT, with scarcely enough power to jump or do tricks. On the Fish, they have been enjoyable "park and ride" sessions, and the carving around in small waves has more than compensated for a few soggy jumps!

Definitely looking forward to taking it out in 25knots with the 8m and some bigger waves to play in, and I will update the review after that happens, but even to this point I reckon its been money well spent.

Andy.

KiteAction
QLD, 337 posts
Site Sponsor
11 May 2009 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

great review Andy,

That is the perfect board for up your way.

It is one of my favourite boards,I used one heaps last year,mine was the green one from 08 wich is just the same as yours. I used the board in some pretty solid surf and found it worked fairly well. In smaller surf this board Rocks!

I did have a spare set of stiffer fins that I used to put in when it was around 4ft+ this made the board hold on through your bottom turn much better without sliding and spinning out.
I only ever used the stiffer fins in larger waves as the the softer plastic ones that come standard with the Naish Fish are part of the reason the board feels so good and loose in smaller mushy waves and are a must have

Enjoy your board mate, Rip it Up!

Regards

Luke

Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
11 May 2009 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tips on the fins Luke. Still waiting for the "big-day", but its gotta be coming soon with the winter trades on the way!

Have you any suggestions for footstrap placement positions?

I started with both of them furthest back, but it felt like my back foot was a little too far back, and I since moved the back strap forward. It seems to ride a little better, but I notice my back foot is catching a little spray now.

Also, did you notice much difference with the 2009 fish going to quad fins?

Andy

KiteAction
QLD, 337 posts
Site Sponsor
12 May 2009 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

In regards to your foot strap placement every one is going to be a little diferent on what they like and what works for them.

I like my back foot to be as far back as it can be on most boards. Having your foot further back will enable you to turn tighter arcs and really belt the back out of the wave.
You just need to make sure that you put enough weight over your front foot to flaten the board out and get it planing. on a short board like the fish this is easy done. Because the fish has such a wide tail you want to be right over the top of it so you can control the board better, push harder and get some funky tail slids happening. on wide boards like that the further forward you go the harder it will be to turn tightly.

I have not used the Quad fin fish I think it would be to grippy.I like the twin fin.

The twin fin Naish Fish is one of the best wave boards Naish have made and suits so many day's we get when we are kiting. It is too often overlooked by a lot of people when they are choosing their boards.

Cheers

Luke

caveman
QLD, 116 posts
12 May 2009 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

I got the Quad Fin 5'7" Naish Custom Fish from Luke last year and all I can say is it is SCHWEEET!!! And I am also loving that Switchy 4 IDS, mate!

I have the footstraps further forward on mine to cope with lighter wind conditions. When it picks up, it doesn't affect me that much as I weigh 88kg and can easily put a bit more pressure on the back foot. The board turns pretty fast and eats up the chop like you wouldn't believe.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2008 Naish Custom Wave Fish 5'5" Retro Twin" started by Coral Sea