Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

WA SUP Titles?

Created by PTWoody > 9 months ago, 26 Feb 2012
PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
26 Feb 2012 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

I understand the WA SUP Titles were held this weekend in conjunction with the Longboarding titles. Any results?

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
26 Feb 2012 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure of the surfing results as I left before the finals had kicked off. Very testing conditions all weekend with 6-8ft and 10-15knt on shores on Saturday which made for some interesting tactics. In heat 1 Chris pulled the pin after spending 15mins trying to get out then getting his foot stuck in the reef and cutting it open. 5 mins later young Wes snapped a leggie resulting in a long swim in, which I would soon repeat in heat 3!

Regardless of the conditions what I saw of the two Jackovich brothers was very impressive. When you see find out on a backhand snap in 6ft on shore you know the guys rip. I had never heard of them before but are apparently local legends and its not un common to see the SUPping Cow Bombie at 15ft.

Conditions had cleaned up today but there wad also a pulse in the swell with a predicted 3.8m late this afternoon.

The race got underway at Smith's beach with the finish line on the beach in front of Yallingup main break. A fast pace was set by Marcus on his DC 14 finnishing in a time of just over 22min. Brett Mason in 2nd in his first race on the new starboard 12'6 BOP board followed by Roger Goodwin on the 14 Coast runner. Top 3 all took the inside line to the finish over the reef which paid dividends as I was sitting in 2nd until we hit the break and I took a wide line finishing in 4th on my Suplove Stingray. Must have made for great spectatimg seeing a hunch if race boards coming through 6ft waves. I definitely added to the spill reel.

Big shout out to Galvo and Rog who really guided Surfing WA this weekend to help them run their first SUP event and to try and get us the best deal and make sure we weren't seen as second class citizens.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
27 Feb 2012 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear you've been looked after quite well. No doubt Surfing WA will load all this into the memory bank and produce an even better event next year.

What was the race distance?

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
26 Feb 2012 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Surfing WA were open and willing to listen to all ideas and get our feedback as to what would work best and speaking to Justin (the events manager of SWA) they are excited to see what the future has to offer.

Race distance was around the 5km mark, not too sure.

DirectX
WA, 240 posts
26 Feb 2012 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Got a few snaps below from the two days,

Rob

Fergus
WA, 136 posts
27 Feb 2012 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Open Mens SUP
1. Jake Jakovich
2.Rick Jackovich
3. Brett Mason
4. Phill Berry.

O/40 SUP
1. Mike Galvin.
2. Danny Sheiner.
3. Roger Goodwin.
4. Crawford Olney.

No women entered.

Very challenging conditions.
Very well run comp.
Jako brothers very good (world class in fact) they shape and ride small boards (7'4") and ride big waves.

DirectX
WA, 240 posts
27 Feb 2012 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Fergus said...

Open Mens SUP
1. Jake Jakovich
2.Rick Jackovich
3. Brett Mason
4. Phill Berry.

O/40 SUP
1. Mike Galvin.
2. Danny Sheiner.
3. Roger Goodwin.
4. Crawford Olney.

No women entered.

Very challenging conditions.
Very well run comp.
Jako brothers very good (world class in fact) they shape and ride small boards (7'4") and ride big waves.

Some of those backhand snaps the Jacko brothers were doing we're unbelievable. The only other place I've seen that quality of SUP Surfing is on the world tour, will be interesting to see how they go against the east coast guys at the Nationals if they go over.

Rob

Dee Jay
WA, 70 posts
27 Feb 2012 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

what a great weekend of surfing. awesome event. wind was onshore but there was heaps of swell which made for great viewing from the hill....wipeouts, clean up sets and great rides there were a few photographers around so hopefully some pics will appear.
well done Crawf for busting through so many heats on the final day after your night on the red

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"WA SUP Titles?" started by PTWoody