Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Bashas' new gash!!! (Not for the faint hearted)

Created by Basha69 > 9 months ago, 5 Mar 2012
Basha69
WA, 161 posts
5 Mar 2012 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Back foot slipped of board whilst bottom turning at Boranup WA saturday morning. Went down on the board and got thrown around like a rag doll in the wave and made contact with the board pretty hard under my armpit. I was lucky not to smash my ribs and thought i had only sustained bruising, there was no hole in my wetsuit!!!!!!

Trip to Margrett River Hospital 2 stitches inside the wound and 5 to close it up. Made it to the Tavern for a nice cold pint of Coopers pale and just in time to watch Western Force V QLD Reds.

jezza007
NSW, 300 posts
5 Mar 2012 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

nice one

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
5 Mar 2012 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Basha69 said...

Back foot slipped of board whilst bottom turning at Boranup WA saturday morning. Went down on the board and got thrown around like a rag doll in the wave and made contact with the board pretty hard under my armpit. I was lucky not to smash my ribs and thought i had only sustained bruising, there was no hole in my wetsuit!!!!!!

Trip to Margrett River Hospital 2 stitches inside the wound and 5 to close it up. Made it to the Tavern for a nice cold pint of Coopers pale and just in time to watch Western Force V QLD Reds.

Obviously not the drinking arm then Chris? How did it not cut through your wettie?

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
5 Mar 2012 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

jenkz said...

Basha69 said...

Obviously not the drinking arm then Chris? How did it not cut through your wettie?

No idea luke but i reckoned it saved me from a more serious injury. Doc who stitched me up reckoned it was mm away from the artery and a nerve plexus whatever that is. Fortunately not the drinking arm which got a good workout on the Sunday whilst i had to endure watching a couple of mates surfing in near perfect light offshore glassy conditions

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
5 Mar 2012 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Mate that looks so nasty , must have hurt like hell.

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
5 Mar 2012 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

Don't know why but can honestly say there was very little pain, more like discomfort.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
5 Mar 2012 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Not good mate the 8/5 for sale now Galvo has those soft boards with rubber fins he recons they go all right but he dose love the whopper wedge was great the 7/4 rush the easiest board I have ever surfed fun waves .catch you later look arter that gash

Downwinder
QLD, 1992 posts
6 Mar 2012 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

Basha69 said...

Same thing happened to me in Timor I was surfing the Mountain and if the waves are good I can surf goofy foot anyway I coming out of the barrel got hit in the head by the lip and coped a flogging. I felt the nose of my board 8'2” gun hit under my are and felt the biggest hole. Just missing a major artery SO LUCKY as I just would have bleed to death. So I walked to the village and the doctor stitches me up two internal and ten external with NO ANESTHETIC talk about hardening up ( Help Me Please Mr Wizard ) I felt ever part of the suture stitch f##k.

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
6 Mar 2012 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Well you did warm me about looking....

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
6 Mar 2012 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

wrong time of the month????

loco4olas
NSW, 1510 posts
6 Mar 2012 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Downwinder said...

Same thing happened to me in Timor.......

Wow-way to hijack a thread....

Wezzy
WA, 221 posts
6 Mar 2012 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Basha!!!

That is gnarly....bet you were spewing it ended the session too!!
I heard it was pumping all weekend down there.

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
6 Mar 2012 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Wezzy said...

Basha!!!

That is gnarly....bet you were spewing it ended the session too!!
I heard it was pumping all weekend down there.

Totally spewing mind you I'm glad they stitched me up before Rog saw me, i reckon he might of tried to have a crack at it lol

krankiman
WA, 86 posts
6 Mar 2012 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

hey mate my advice at the moment is don't use roll on deodorant, good to see your ok.

VALI62
NSW, 32 posts
8 Mar 2012 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

I feel your pain.I was on a weekend away with 8 mates when I copped a nasty fin chop last month. A late take off resulted in a big nose dive, I wasn't sure where my board was so I wrapped my arms over my head just in time for the board to come back at me fins first. Felt my fin go straight into my arm & then my head. I got out of the water pretty quick to find my arm sliced open & my head bleeding.

We were on a deserted beach about 1 hour from a hostpital on unsealed roads.

Ended up with 9 stitches in the arm & 4 in the head. Pretty lucky that I covered my head or it could have been alot worse.

I couple of Cooper pale helped ease my pain that night too.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
8 Mar 2012 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

That first one is nasty.

chrispychru
QLD, 7932 posts
8 Mar 2012 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

yes the fin chop is not a nice thing. glad to be surfing again after 3 months out. get better soon boys

VALI62
NSW, 32 posts
8 Mar 2012 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

I was back in the water after a week, probably should have waited longer. I've started wearing a helmet just incase it happens again. Scary stuff

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Bashas' new gash!!! (Not for the faint hearted)" started by Basha69