Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

Baja 2

Created by Al McLeod > 9 months ago, 15 May 2012
Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
15 May 2012 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from a trip to Punta San Carlos in Mexico. Got 65kg of gear over there for free with Qantas (awesome) and stayed with Solosports for 3 weeks. Campsite, service and food were all excellent.

Apparently I had unseasonal weather for spring so the wind was more often on the lighter side than crazy 30+ knots that is more common around now. Definitely was not a bad thing - 15-20 knots is plenty to make the place work and the waves stay nice and clean. That said we still had days where guys were pulling out 4.0's. Swell was rarely below head high at The Point and Chilli Bowl for most of the time.

When the wind didn't blow options included SUP/surfing, mountain biking, hiking or just relaxing and reading a book.

The wavesailing conditions are great for basically any level - the cross off wind makes it very easy to ride down the line and the waves peel for ages and are without much consequence. I didn't score it with a big swell but it wasn't uncommon to get waves from the Point to the Chili Bowl with 8 turns/smacks/aerials linked together. The local guys running the camp were saying I got relatively skunked so it would be awesome to the see the place on a massive south swell.

The Beachbreak in front of the camp offers, peaky waves that are shorter but probably had a bit more punch than the Point if the swell wasn't too small.

Overall it was definitely a great trip and I will be back there for sure - would recommend every wavesailor to make the effort to visit at least once and tick it off the bucket list.
Check out more from the trip here wavesnwind.com/blog-main.html and here http://wavesnwind.com/photos-baja2012.html

russh
SA, 3023 posts
15 May 2012 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Nice stuff Al- looks like an awesome set up - could sure do with some of that - forgotten what wavesailing is like

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
15 May 2012 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

awesome small wave cross off joy

very jealous, love that super tight turn on photo 10

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
17 May 2012 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Few more pics.

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 966 posts
17 May 2012 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Al,

What is the water temp like this time of year?

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
17 May 2012 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Cold but not freezing, air is fairly warm. I was on the hot side in my 4/3, some guys used 3/2s.
The camp set up blocks the wind so you can normally get away with shirt and shorts. Once you get into the wind you need to put on a jacket and trackies.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Baja 2" started by Al McLeod