Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Contacio Reef

Created by smicko > 9 months ago, 10 Jun 2012
smicko
WA, 2502 posts
10 Jun 2012 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Having a clean up this morning and found that book by Ross Cusack that I referred to on page 3 in this thread www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surfing/Shortboards/trigg-reefie/?page=3
It describes how the Perth coastline has changed in the last 80 years or so and has some pics of the old fishermans shacks at the point.
It's a great read, you can get it here http://shop.bluewater.net.au/p/5641963/hooked-for-life-by-ross-cusack.html

Here's the page in question.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
10 Jun 2012 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks smicko - interesting stuff - I had no idea that there were once fishing huts at the Point.

Dunno why the red thumb Fixed.

smicko
WA, 2502 posts
10 Jun 2012 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

I can't believe there's entire reef systems that are now buried between Floreat and the Trigg carparks.
How's this pic of the old Cott jetty being blown up in 1952. Check out the A frame in the background where the groyne is now.

paulford
WA, 312 posts
11 Jun 2012 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Todays coastline seems lame compared with what was back then. Looks a real interesting read.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Jun 2012 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Who can remember the old Contacio hotel My now wife but then girlfriend were locals there under the Alias of Mr and Mrs Smith

Reflex Films
WA, 1437 posts
11 Jun 2012 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

when i first came to Perth in 1988 the banks were pretty damn good everywhere from brighton to trigg

Used to surf meats / dog beach in the middle of winter with quality shape

it has been a slow deterioration to straightsville since then

i remember when you could see the rocks on the inside at Contacio - after a big storm they were exposed - and there used to be a really sweet wave there

now it seems like the only real bank is the Manning street peak

was the same set up with Surf beach - which became secret harbour = once the development kicked in the sand mobilisation stopped and the banks went dodgy pretty quickly

you used to be able to go to surf beach in summer and the banks were absolutely epic (talking early nineties here) - now they only do that after an epics storm.

I dont think there is anywhere where the banks have gotten better

hopefully this epic storm will sort things out for a few months!

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
12 Jun 2012 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...

Having a clean up this morning and found that book by Ross Cusack that I referred to on page 3 in this thread www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surfing/Shortboards/trigg-reefie/?page=3
It describes how the Perth coastline has changed in the last 80 years or so and has some pics of the old fishermans shacks at the point.
It's a great read, you can get it here http://shop.bluewater.net.au/p/5641963/hooked-for-life-by-ross-cusack.html

Last line on page 41 Hec Simpson was an old mate of my Dads, he has passed now but he would have fished most of the coast and Swan River in his life time, very wise fella.

Henrry63
WA, 2 posts
13 Jun 2012 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...

Very interesting...hope they still have the book as want one for my book shelve.....

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Contacio Reef" started by smicko