Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

100 days to the Americas cup

Created by longwinded > 9 months ago, 17 Feb 2017
longwinded
WA, 344 posts
17 Feb 2017 1:49AM
Thumbs Up

I'm cheering for Australia!
Bound to be on a winner.

Mastbender
1972 posts
17 Feb 2017 2:51AM
Thumbs Up

Got to get by Team Oracle first.

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
17 Feb 2017 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mastbender said..

You mean get b(u)y Team oracle AUS - 8/14 crew members are Australian.
If you're going to call yourself "Team USA" then at least have a minimum percentage (80%?) of crew members actually from that country. Not just where the money is coming from.

Mastbender
1972 posts
17 Feb 2017 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Never said "Team USA", but I'll give you that Oracle does know where to find the best crew mates, and I'm pretty sure they have the best boats, but we shall see.
I love this stuff, it's beyond high tech, now days they try to sail the entire course on the foils, if the hulls touch the water, that's bad.

Brent in Qld
WA, 835 posts
17 Feb 2017 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

TEAM NZ first time out video below . Word out of NZ is 20knts+ in under 8knts, EASILY. Pedal//leg power to keep the hydraulics up to speed. Seems obvious... now!

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
17 Feb 2017 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't realise it was still going

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
17 Feb 2017 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

It's going to be insane!

AUS1111
WA, 3617 posts
17 Feb 2017 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brent in Qld said..
TEAM NZ first time out video below . Word out of NZ is 20knts+ in under 8knts, EASILY. Pedal//leg power to keep the hydraulics up to speed. Seems obvious... now!

LOL is that Chris Froome??

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
19 Feb 2017 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mastbender said..

AKA Team Australia II.

shoodbegood
VIC, 873 posts
20 Feb 2017 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

The last good America's Cup was 1983 !

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
23 Feb 2017 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

They should just make the America's Cup a silent auction.
Highest bidder wins the cup

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
23 Feb 2017 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shoodbegood said..
The last good America's Cup was 1983 !

The last one was better. And of course I watched it in '83.

It's all on YouTube, live in HD. The racing is far more spectacular and the boats are incredible, just watch some of the videos above.

Even my wife loved it. Every other night we'd watch a race after putting the kids to bed. Even though it was US vs NZ I didn't hear anything but Australian accents coming from the Oracle crew. And to come back and win from being that far down? WTF!? It was a great America's Cup.

I mean, the boats are so fast people are dying when they crash.

Brent in Qld
WA, 835 posts
23 Feb 2017 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

A cup challenge is expensive, exclusive & not for everyone, pretty obvious what the teams are getting into from the outset. It's hard to get the win and just like that pommy convert called Bond who wrestled the cup to AUS in 83', when the underdog gets over those with a bigger mountain of cash it's a fantastic team achievement and a bloody good watch.
Agree the last cup was amazing, was lucky to be there to see those 72' beasts carve up the course. Astounding to see live. Is great that most of the teams are made up of ANZAC types and making a living leading an industry. Love the racing and the boats, bring on Bermuda.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"100 days to the Americas cup" started by longwinded