Kiteboarding Hump Height Records 2005-2015

Created by shano180 > 9 months ago, 29 Aug 2023
shano180
1 posts
29 Aug 2023 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction

I'm putting together an infographic on how the sport has progressed over the years, and am trying to get some indicative record jump heights for the years 2005, 2010 and 2015? does anyone know where i could find this?

optimally I'm after the rider name and the height, but failing that what do you think the highest jumps would have been for these years?

Cheers
Shano

KiteBud
WA, 1529 posts
29 Aug 2023 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

Height mesuring devices for kite jumps like the Woo were not available until 2015 so you probably won't find any of those stats prior to 2015.

Chris_M
2129 posts
29 Aug 2023 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

I jumped like 25m in 2014, promise!

weebitbreezy
621 posts
29 Aug 2023 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

You probably want to contact decay (Dave Kay). He worked on some pre-woo systems of height measurement.

Xensr were doing stuff in the early 2010s so you might find something there. The big thing really was that Woo gamified the experience with an online leader board. I don't think anyone bothered setting up servers to do this before they came along so any local records would have just been that.

Froth Goth
657 posts
31 Aug 2023 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Watch "something stronger" pretty sure theres a kite jump on there that would destroy anything on this "woo leader board" and would of been filmed before 2010 ? Or for something a little more recent

?si=aWLgfrH2Uw-vKPPo it still baffles le how you guys can all claim to be kiters but yas are completely unaware of how every other canopy sport just rolls theyre eyes at these 30 or 40m jumps and you guys wet yaselves ???? next youll have a BIG AIR comp for a bloody wingding

weebitbreezy
621 posts
31 Aug 2023 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Froth Goth said..
Watch "something stronger" pretty sure theres a kite jump on there that would destroy anything on this "woo leader board" and would of been filmed before 2010 ? Or for something a little more recent
?si=aWLgfrH2Uw-vKPPo it still baffles le how you guys can all claim to be kiters but yas are completely unaware of how every other canopy sport just rolls theyre eyes at these 30 or 40m jumps and you guys wet yaselves ???? next youll have a BIG AIR comp for a bloody wingding

To quote Rob Whittall (Ozone founder) -

'Why would I want to get into wingsuits. So a wingsuit can skim along a couple of metres from the ground at 100mph. So what? A production motorbike can have you a metre off the ground doing 200mph.'

Its all a matter of perspective. If you've ever seen the top end riders out in storm conditions it is simply mind blowing. I'd love to see any of the other canopy sports doing their thing in 60 knots of wind . Its a bit like watching hydrofoil racing. Its nothing like watching the recreational riders who cruise around on the swell. Even the low end riders are outrunning nearly everything else on the water

Froth Goth
657 posts
1 Sep 2023 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah robbies a complete nutbag you should listen to his podcast on cloudbase mayhem he talks about pretty much wjat you said tho alot more colourful that bike endurance race he does over in the uk lemans or isle of white whatever it is sounds insane. Basically sees it as wingsuiting for 10 hours straight rather then 10 seconds.

Raglans a hell of a drug

I kite in every cyclone that comes ill take work off for it its really not that impressive you just downsize the canopy i find its too off and on to get any really good results out of them and i still ride unhooked in cyclones. Just gotto understand wind and how it works in relation to canopy. Ive even flown miniwings in cyclonic winds just ballast up and keep it simple.

The industrys a joke pushing anything new that sells over actually maintaining an actual sport.

Freestyle > big (ucking tiny) air *especially because theres video evidence in heaps of old kite videos people jumping higher then 30 or 40 meters whatever theyre upto on a woo board

?si=pCcrFZT8mQAcCEY_ 40 meters vs 1500

Stop being kooks and falling for industry hype to sell you ****ty kites ****ty boards that cant even handle boots and ****ty foils and whatever wing ding joke things that are currently being used to identify which boomer who couldnt afford the hours to get good at something but they can afford the money to jump ship to the next crap that is apparently "new and cool" cause its just not. Wingdings arent new and cool neither are foils neither is "big air" (what a joke its like having a catagory for obese people in the olympic sprints then everyone praiseing them as being fast meanwhile theres a bunch of ACTUAL fast people right in the next lane.

You can literally watch foilboarding on vhs bigger kite jumps on vhs and dare i say wing dings on vhs maybe even film older then vhs [insert wind weapon images here

weebitbreezy
621 posts
4 Sep 2023 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Can't decide about freestyle. On the one hand its epic and requires bags of talent but on the other hand, its a rehash of everything in wakeboarding but you have to do it in either ankle depth water or horrible chop and you just know that everyone in wakeboarding is going to look down on you because its on a kite. E.g its so much easier to nail that first raley on a kite than on a cable or behind a boat.

Ultimately you have to accept that its the people marketing the sport that play the biggest part in the fashions of the day. BAKL did a genius move when they published a trick naming video describing how they categorised each move so that even casual fans could understand what a doobie contra loop with a late back is. Conversely at the same time, the GKA looked at Tom Bridge and his skate style of chaining moves together one after another and went - Nah, that doesn't fit into the scoring system we have so we aren't giving you any points. They should have moved the sport forwards and let the riders start to innovate and win back attention from the big air crowd but hey. What do I know?

The woo records are fine as its a level playing field. They don't register any jumps where you get an updraft (like those mad 1 minute long jumps people can get in Spain). You only get scored if you match the shape of a jump. Its probably not the highest ever but its the highest that fit the jump profile. I still think its incredible that they are jumping 35m off flat water.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
10 Sep 2023 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

There was a few old random videos of guys jumping off waves in storms easily around 25m...
But who has a Vhs or some dinosaur device to play them these days. Back then and even now, the majority doesn't care about a number - it's all about fun.
Sad is the person who's day is **** because someone beat them by point one of a metre.
Jamie's record off flatwater
Joshua's off a wave
Who actually travelled higher ?
And why the hell isn't Jamie Smashing off big storm waves...

weebitbreezy
621 posts
11 Sep 2023 4:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..
There was a few old random videos of guys jumping off waves in storms easily around 25m...
But who has a Vhs or some dinosaur device to play them these days. Back then and even now, the majority doesn't care about a number - it's all about fun.
Sad is the person who's day is **** because someone beat them by point one of a metre.
Jamie's record off flatwater
Joshua's off a wave
Who actually travelled higher ?
And why the hell isn't Jamie Smashing off big storm waves...

Someone asked Jamie about that. The wave location where Joshua was kiting had a fatality the day before when it was windy (40knots) so given the wind direction (apparently the launch spot is really gusty with that direction) Jamie decided the risk wasn't worth it. That's a good mature decision in my book.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
11 Sep 2023 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Agreed - there comes a time when you have to respect mother nature and location conditions... a better day always comes.

Chris_M
2129 posts
12 Sep 2023 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Whether or not the actual height matters or not, the woo is great fun as it helps connect you with other people who chase the same rush. I have made heaps more kite buddies since being part of the game. Im probably straying away from the purpose of this thread, but oh well

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiteboarding Hump Height Records 2005-2015" started by shano180