QLD, 1451 posts
24 Jun 2016 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said..

Woott said..

...For now i stick to a bit more action

Such as?

sucking down beers with your mate shane towers rather then bloody flying ya slacker gorgo

Woott
WA, 127 posts
24 Jun 2016 5:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said...
Woott said..

...For now i stick to a bit more action

Such as?

Gorgo
VIC, 4917 posts
24 Jun 2016 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Windgenuity
NSW, 613 posts
Site Sponsor
24 Jun 2016 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Naish team rider and legend kiter Kevin Langeree getting his foil on.

www.facebook.com/kevinlangeree/videos/10154268530037118/

ColoColo
QLD, 130 posts
24 Jun 2016 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jamesperth said..

Underoath said...
Foiling is the modern day golf.

I'll give it a go when my knees are cactus.

Foiling is way more fun than golf :) think of it like this - do I want to double / triple my days on the water ?

If not, that's cool. Play golf. Otherwise get on board.

What foilz are you recommending for beginners James?

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
24 Jun 2016 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..

kiteboy dave... it is for all intensive purposes a fishing net. it DOES stick in the water. go chuck your kite in the swimming pool with all the struts deflated. now imagine theres a current, whats going to happen? the canopy acts like a great big sail (remember water basicly acts exactly like a gas so if you ever want to wonder what wind is doing think of water and vice versa) so the kite in underwater world is exactly this. a big ass sailing boat (the leading edge is the boat) and the canopy is the sail, and the currents are the wind filling the sail and pushing the boat. only difference is we have trees rather then giant sharp pointy boulders of coral.

i really dont care how the inventor of the kite flys his kite. if the videos not in 1 shot then it doesnt really show you anything. also ive flown one myself and know how it behaves. but i didnt need to because ive flown non inflateable 2 line surf kites with a back harness (basicly a padded belt you just slip behind your lower back that is attached to the 2 kite lines) these things were almost identical to the "cloud" that all you are frothing over as some sort of new invention except instead of the inflated leading edge was just a carbon rod simular to your tents. again very small sizes 3's 5's etc and without all the weight would haul ass on a 6 while inflatables would be on 10m's

but hay what the **** do i know david

Look I'm not sure what flying a c quad or something similar has to do with helping you judge a cloud without flying one. I had 4 x 10' flexifoils I used to stack with a harness, but that doesn't help me judge how a cloud would be without flying one. They have fk all to do with each other if you ask me.

I make no claims about how good a cloud is or is not, but this 3rd generation looks pretty impressive in the hands of the designer in an edited video, who definitely has mad skills.

This lot seem to like them
boardridingmaui.com/testimonials.html

There are a few 'one shot' takes on the vid above where he's landing it, rolling it under, and relaunching the opposite side, all while foiling. Just because you don't see 5 mins of vid either side, you're seeing the whole move anyway. That's the opposite to sticking on the water or acting as a sea anchor, surely.

And I've yet to find anyone else griping about them being hard to relaunch. Most seem to say this type of thing:

Relaunching the Cloud is surprisingly easy. Our testers reported that they were able to relaunch it by simply turning the bar and did not need to pull on a back line. The testers also found that relaunching is easiest if you first wait for the Cloud to drift further downwind before starting the relaunch process as this causes the canopy to open more.

As for your experience, maybe you need a certain level of skill not to stack it so badly that it ends up with no air in the canopy?

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Jun 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Slingshot have a great foil program this year, saw them on the goldy yesterday. Their foil program is designed around learning fast and safely. The "Hover Glide" model comes a full length mast at $1209, but you can purchase 3 shorter masts for a very low price $259, 15", 24"and 30" They are plate mount, and the SS range of foil boards start from $999
The idea is to start with a short mast and learn the basics of foil control, as you gain skills and confidence increase the mast length. Seems like a really great way to learn, but I have not tried this short mast method. From what I'm hearing though it is very easy and fast to learn.

The one thing I've noticed about full length foils is that they make a very skilled kiter look like a complete newbie, and I've seen many people have a go and then declare yeahnah its not for them.

dyyylan
72 posts
25 Jun 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I totally recommend the slingshot flight school, i only bought the 2 smaller masts (in addition to the regular hover glide) and it made learning very very easy since there are no consequences really for overfoiling and doing "the dolphin". in the 4 hours i spent my first good session out with them i fell probably like 5 times only. I did a longer write up here with my experience: kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2392892

a shop here also sells an adapter so you can use the flight school masts on the LF gear as well, if you want to go that route: americankiteboarding.com, dunno if they will ship to oz or if you guys have a similar thing there you can use.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
25 Jun 2016 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

pretty sure i said i have flown one ?!?!
and they yaw like absolute pieces of ****. and no i wont be surprised if you dont understand what that means or why that would matter because your probably a kook
if you want a kite that decorates coral heads like a christmas tree and does its best to replicate the slithers of tinsel in minutes then by all means buy one.
the design of the kite makes this almost its goal.

if i wanted to design a kite that would kill itself i would design a strutless kite. its that simple.

the 1 strut kites fixed half of these issues.

why would you buy a kite with glareingly obvious issues like this that have been fixed by the simple addage of 1 strut which doesnt add hardly any weight?!?!

have you ever seen what happens to a cloud as it skims past a pandanus tree? its ****ing incredible, gives rice paper lanterns a run for there money in the durability department.

did i mention it yaws like a short leg syndrome d hooker whose just copped on and is on the nod forever twisting and turning doing absolute wonders for its flight characteristics washing off lift with every twist which looses power.

but what the ****!?!? who cares?!?! i mean thats only the entire purpose of what a KITE IS.

dave your trying to spruke about a kite youve never flown because you have read some testimonials on there website. honestly mate pull your head in your makeing an ass of yourself

air in the canopy?!?! skill?!?!

you think there is any amount of skill in flying a kitesurfing kite compared to a stunt kite?

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
25 Jun 2016 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..
your probably a kook

ok, whatever you say

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..
pretty sure i said i have flown one ?!?!
have you ever seen what happens to a cloud as it skims past a pandanus tree? its ****ing incredible, gives rice paper lanterns a run for there money in the durability department.

so you had one go and put it into a tree? well done

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..

dave your trying to spruke about a kite

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

I make no claims about how good a cloud is or is not

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..
honestly mate pull your head in your makeing an ass of yourself

me? I'm just enjoying the show.

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..
you think there is any amount of skill in flying a kitesurfing kite compared to a stunt kite?

I also fly a 4 line Rev and can do all the basic tricks. I think there's skill in all forms of kite flying including kitesurfing kites. If not, what is learning launching, flying, parking, looping, water relaunch, etc about?

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
25 Jun 2016 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dyyylan said...
Yes I totally recommend the slingshot flight school, i only bought the 2 smaller masts (in addition to the regular hover glide) and it made learning very very easy since there are no consequences really for overfoiling and doing "the dolphin". in the 4 hours i spent my first good session out with them i fell probably like 5 times only.

Speaking as a beginner Foileur with very recent experience of the nose dive crashing phase.
It seems that phase is only an hour or so of the learning curve and having plenty of nose rocker
In the board greatly helps.
Also I have found that having room to rise gives you time to get balanced and control the height.
It is the foil ventilating when it breaks surface that causes the nose dive crash.
As for short masts! I think a slightly shorter mast may have advantages in shallower water but with the smaller room for ventilating you maybe need even more experience.

Leighbreeze
WA, 533 posts
25 Jun 2016 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hey JB, really like the Naish Trip 10m
Strutless.Flys in bugger all wind and up to 25kts.Relaunches easy as.Gutsy little kite.
Good match with any foil.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
25 Jun 2016 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

I also fly a 4 line Rev and can do all the basic tricks. I think there's skill in all forms of kite flying including kitesurfing kites. If not, what is learning launching, flying, parking, looping, water relaunch, etc about?

revs are laaaaame

if you think a kiteloop or any of those basic kite controls in kitesurfing is a trick im concerned about your slackline stunt kite flying.

where did i say i had one go and put it in a tree? first you say i put it in coral then you say i put it in a tree?!? these are scenarios ive had to help punters out with while flogging them off and before i sell them i fly them much like peter string fellow. ive flown alot of kites ive sold alot of kites

you can keep trying to pick around the fat and bones that zero strut inflated leading edge kites are terrible kites with terrible longevity durability and flight characteristics that make it worse then nearly every other inflated kite ever made.

and no matter what my kiting history thats not going to change. your trying to stand up for the reliant robin without ever having to have driven one around a corner.

the basic principal of the design simply does not work even if you can get someone with alot of experience on one to make it look good a few seconds at a time. its still far worse then every other car made

finished yet?

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
25 Jun 2016 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..

revs are laaaaame

I'd been waiting for that.^^^

Kozzie, I know you hate those Cloud kites ...

but you have to give some props to Greg for the absolute simplicity with his kiting designs.

Right ? no ??

Well anyway, I personally don't like things to be overly complex when they don't need to be.

But Majors are forced to bling bling cause no one is going to buy a bar like mine which is essentially a stick with a chicken-rope poking thru it.

lol.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to that thread about the new North clicker bar that sells for $890 big ones ?

It seemed to disappear ?

Mystery ?

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
25 Jun 2016 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

simple effective design is the cornerstone of everything that lasts and stands the test of time.

but a kite that gets destroyed and washes off lift with every turn is not effective simple design.

i wish we could just remove engines and wheels from things and they would drive just as well but they dont.

BAR WISE

holly **** i thought we finally all figured it out last year and we all decided on a simple universal push away qr pu coated clam cleat with ZERO bar length adjustment **** design as the ultimate light weight structurally strong design. but hay sounds like the boffins figured out how to double the price and add more ****. but im sure as hell there was some other guy just like me with a different name saying the same damn **** 10 years ago saying god damn it we finally cracked it the ultimate bar last year. we even ****ed off the chicken finger for freestylers (not something i felt comfortable with but understand)

man... misses lifting weights while using an indo board infront of me in her unmentionables lost train of thought

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
25 Jun 2016 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jamesperth said...
Underoath said...
Foiling is the modern day golf.

I'll give it a go when my knees are cactus.

Foiling is way more fun than golf :) think of it like this - do I want to double / triple my days on the water ?

If not, that's cool. Play golf. Otherwise get on board.

What if you enjoy mini-golf

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
25 Jun 2016 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..
simple effective design is the cornerstone of everything that lasts and stands the test of time.

Nice.

Motherhood statement.

What else ya got ?

lol.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
25 Jun 2016 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh north bar topic gone. Reckon Steve (ozone importer, as I pertained to) was baiting the crowd lol. Cheeky.

My take, until youve tried it (foiling) then not sure Yu can have an informed opinion, including a cloud kite. But then again, this is the breeze....

see shinn are jumping on the trend with their new shinnster...

shinnworld.com/

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
26 Jun 2016 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

El Stubbo too

shinnworld.com/

Looks like he's gone with Zeeko Alloys.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
26 Jun 2016 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TerryMcTool said...
Slingshot have a great foil program this year, saw them on the goldy yesterday. Their foil program is designed around learning fast and safely. The "Hover Glide" model comes a full length mast at $1209, but you can purchase 3 shorter masts for a very low price $259, 15", 24"and 30" They are plate mount, and the SS range of foil boards start from $999
The idea is to start with a short mast and learn the basics of foil control, as you gain skills and confidence increase the mast length. Seems like a really great way to learn, but I have not tried this short mast method. From what I'm hearing though it is very easy and fast to learn.

The one thing I've noticed about full length foils is that they make a very skilled kiter look like a complete newbie, and I've seen many people have a go and then declare yeahnah its not for them.

The hoverglide is a very good foil to learn on. Requires a lot more front foot pressure than the LF Foil. Overall a fun freestyle foil.

I have no issues cruising around on the beast in 8 knots to 30 knots.

It is not fast at all (i think my top speed on it has been about 16 or so knots), so it roughly the same speed as the LF product.

And it ways a ton. A lot more than the LF fish foil!!! So don't attach it to a Shinnster. I bolted mine onto an LF Rocket Fish. Nice small floaty board.

But it is much steadier than LF at any speed and glides very very well through turns.

The foil also colour matches all my Clouds!!

Kozzie's point about a Cloud being a boat anchor if you drop it into a wave is valid (but so is a 17m Edge).

The larger 13.5 and 17 metre kites can be a pain to relaunch if you get water over the canopy (just needs patience). There are no such dramas with little guys (8.5 - 3.5), they have enough tension from the leading edge that it is like having a strut.

You either love them or hate them. I love them and rate them above all the other kites I have owned. But they are different. Where they really win it for me is in their ability to drift and de-power. Both are great attributes on a wave kite and foil kite, and great during our gusty winter months.

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
26 Jun 2016 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

I have a Cloud 14.5. It packs down to travel and weighs less than my 7 Reo. It is an amazing kite. Is it for everyone? NO! Would I teach my students on them? NO!. That said, they are amazing. They are stable, fast and launch as easy as any kite I have owned. It just requires a slightly different technique. I love traveling with that kite as it opens loads of options when the wind is light. With a foil it is an awesome combo. Last summer I got on the foils and then built myself a Paipo and ride the foil strapless. There is a beauty about cruising around our bay in light wind and hitting some outrageous angles up wind that allows me to explore on days when I would be literally mowing my lawn at home. The peaceful noise of hearing the mast vibrate and the lines cutting through the wind and nothing else is rewarding, such a smooth ride. Going downwind and chasing swells with no effort from the kite is also pretty sweet. I do however prefer 6 to 8 foot surf with 25 knots of side or cross on wind. That is my favorite kiting conditions. But any time on the water is good for my soul. There is no BEST this or BEST that. Ride what works for you and just enjoy life. It's mighty short...

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
26 Jun 2016 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..

you can keep trying to pick around the fat and bones that zero strut inflated leading edge kites are terrible kites with terrible longevity durability and flight characteristics that make it worse then nearly every other inflated kite ever made.

and no matter what my kiting history thats not going to change. your trying to stand up for the reliant robin without ever having to have driven one around a corner.

the basic principal of the design simply does not work even if you can get someone with alot of experience on one to make it look good a few seconds at a time. its still far worse then every other car made

Oh look here's a vid of all of these terrible kites that don't fly at all and yaw and nod like your mama and "loose" power and are far worse than every other kite made.

All 4 of them which covers the full wind range, 3.5m to 13.5m , being flown back to back within 35 minutes in 16mph wind, with Greg going upwind, at speed, having a blast on all of them.

They really must be worse than any other kite made.

I don't know if they're any good, as I previously stated. I do think they have the potential to be more suited to freestyle foiling more than most inflatos.

PS that Reliant Top Gear vid was fake, like all their adventures. They messed with the diff to make it roll, plus changing weight balance, and a ton of other stuff. Real ones don't roll like that.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
26 Jun 2016 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said...
and they yaw like absolute pieces of ****.

did i mention it yaws like a short leg syndrome d hooker whose just copped on and is on the nod forever twisting and turning doing absolute wonders for its flight characteristics washing off lift with every twist which looses

I had to go and look up yaw....

The kites flutter when de-powered but the C2 and ".5" Clouds don't yaw. Never tried the C1.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Some sick Kite Foiling" started by JB